It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Ireland Student Fear tuition hike after Brexit - $3700 a year right now!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FilthyUSMonkey

Totally agree also, and spot on about the HS degree analogy.

A relative of mine helps hire/determine pay for people. He has done this for 30 years.
Without a shadow of a doubt, those with a degree will make more over their careers vs. those without. That is not opinion, that is fact.

I put this in New World Order because I truly believe that the best way to control people is to keep them ignorant. Religion did this for many centuries, but that appeal is fading.
No matter how expensive college is, it is still higher learning. That is something that can't be taken away. An educated society is scary to those in charge!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It's all relative. My old man and his brothers did damned well for themselves with no High School degree back in the 60's. So someone with a HS degree back then is like someone with a Bachelors now.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
It's all relative. My old man and his brothers did damned well for themselves with no High School degree back in the 60's. So someone with a HS degree back then is like someone with a Bachelors now.

back in the 60's the barrier to entry was nowhere near what they are now

back in the 60's if you could show ability and aptitude people would invest in you and you would work for that company for 100 years. now, companies want you to have a working relationship with god(s) and have information on how to grant immortality in order to sweep up the bathroom floor

today's working conditions are ridiculous
edit on 2-1-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

but what is also true is that if everyone gets your same "technology" degree...whatever in the hell that is, then it becomes diluted. Then you are back on the same boat.

On a personal level you are right about your degree being "diluted" but as a society that is what helps fuel growth.

If you don't think that is a good thing, then just look at societies that don't value education, like Eritrea, or Burkina Faso, or Guinea. You'll see those countries have a whole host of problems that educated countries left behind hundred of years ago.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I have never paid for higher education yet still have a masters degree.

Someone paid for it because it isn’t free. I still don’t understand why someone else should pay for something you want. It is a strange concept to me.

Well ok I guess its its paid for through taxation but the reason my was free is because of the type it was am sure there are a few others that are similar.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Yeah, I am about to retire, so I could have gone either way. I worked after high school as a construction worker for a few months pouring cement. Then I worked in a machine shop for several more, learning the trade. The money was good (1980) but by spring I decided to join the Army and get a degree.

I don't know how kids today could get by without one. And contrary to what a few here say, not everyone get a degree that is useless. The degree I earned has nothing to do with what I have been doing for the last 38 years. But I never would have gotten my foot in the door without one.

I even ask people today with a straight face "do you know where I went to school, and what my degree is in?"

They always say "no."

I then say "Do you even care?"

And we both laugh.

Stay strong, and send your kids to school.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Star for your thoughts.

They can take almost everything from you in life, but they can never take your degree.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

It does open doors without a doubt. Just the fact that I am getting a degree in a a tough degree program (I'm getting a degree in network engineering focused on the security side of it) has opened doors for me

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I completely agree. But the 1960's were 58 years ago. 58 years before 1960, planes did't fly, everyone rode horses and most folks had never ever heard of Call of Duty or the PS4!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Security is blowing up right now. Can't find enough folks. I work in IT, so I will give you some old guy advice: never give up on continual learning. You have to stay at it. I do about 80 hours of formal learning a year to keep up. And you will have an amazing time watching the world you live in change by leaps and bounds, and get to be part of it!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

awesome yea thanks, just finished up the CCNA R/S and been working on Python all week. getting ready to prepare for CCNA Security in a few weeks

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Python is a good entry language. Good luck with the upcoming certs!

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   

My old man would say otherwise . So would my grandpaps. As I say...it relative. I'm not berating education....far far from it. Like I said earlier...I finished a bachelor's in marketing and am fixing to take my capstone on an MBA.
All on my GI Bill .

My ONLY thing is that you gotta climb the ladder and that takes time. Not everyone can or should be a CEO. I like Mike Roses take on it. Dirty jobs ain't nothing to be ashamed of.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I don't get it. Why would Brexit cause an increase in tuition?

Do they import knowledge? Would it break down to something like a 10% tariff on calculus? Is Italy going to charge more to learn Latin?

Could Britain offset the costs by charging the EU more to learn Shakespeare?

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
I don't get it. Why would Brexit cause an increase in tuition?

Do they import knowledge? Would it break down to something like a 10% tariff on calculus? Is Italy going to charge more to learn Latin?

Could Britain offset the costs by charging the EU more to learn Shakespeare?

It is EU vs Non-EU. The way I am interpreting it is like our instate tuition vs out of state tuition. Out of state is obviously significantly higher. Why that is the case I don't know.

Where I live some of the connecting states have a reciprocity program that charges the same rate to neighboring states.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

They're probably not paying football coaches 5-10 million dollars a year either.

college sports is a big drain on students, financially speaking. their tuition is paying in part to the bloated sports budgets of some of the larger schools. i wish all colleges would shut down their sports teams and focus on academics.

but keep golf and yoga

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   

College tuition is out of control. Just another major issue our government representatives continues to ignore. Too many young people are being strapped with huge debt upon graduation equal to a house mortgage! This will have a devastating affect on our economy. Banks had tax payers bail them out, I think it's about time they bail out young people with this enormous debt!

Colleges everywhere are taking advantage of outrageous tuition's and building up their campuses with new buildings and apartment style dorms. Again charging students outrageous monthly rental fees. Local landlords around campuses are also taking advantage of students. Instead of leasing out an entire house for the going rate, they're charging each student who resides in the home the same lease amount for the entire house. So instead of leasing out the house for a thousand dollars a month and 5 occupants split the cost at $200 each, each student is charged $1000!! The landlord is making 5X the actual lease for a single family resident. It's why many landlords are buying up residential houses near campuses.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
University fees in Scotland are around £1,820 though many Scottish people are fortunate to have that paid for them by the government. Average university fees in England are £9,188 per year.

edit on 3-1-2019 by markojo because: Add detail.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well, if universities in the Irish Republic want students from Northern Ireland then they are going to have to sort out their fees. If their fees are too high then their university sector will crash. No doubt the Republic's politicians will try to make a political point and blame everyone else, but this is a problem for the Republic to sort out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join