It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Biography - On The Basis of Sex - Tops The Box Office.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
December 30, 2018

First off..this is a strange title for a movie about our 85 year-old SCOTUS Justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Maybe she didn't agree with the title, which is why she hasn't screened, or commented on the movie? Regardless, it's doing very well on its opening weekend..

Of the three films that opened this holiday weekend, the only one that had a solid start was Focus Features’ “On the Basis of Sex,” the Ruth Bader Ginsburg biopic directed by Mimi Leder and starring Felicity Jones as the civil rights lawyer and eventual Supreme Court Justice.
Source w/more at: www.thewrap.com...

Here is a review of the Ruth Bader Ginsburg biography movie: www.broadstreetreview.com...

If you're looking for something educational and entertaining to do during this holiday period, go see "On The Basis of Sex"!

-CareWeMust

edit on 12/30/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Didn’t she advocate for age of consensual sex be lowered to 12 or 13 years of age???

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

Didn’t she advocate for age of consensual sex be lowered to 12 or 13 years of age???

Yes she did...see page 5 (labeled as 521) of Ginsburg's testimony in this government document.
RBG Testimony: www.govinfo.gov...

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The title makes it sound like it has something to do with her stance on sex. I mean gender. I mean rainbow spectrum.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Not a person I would consider “idolizing” as a lot of folks do...but, that’s just me. I can’t remeber the details but, I stumbled and skimmed an article about the cultish following surrounding this morally superior being. I just don’t get it.

I didn’t really read it bc I just can’t wrap my head around anyone that would promote consensual sex at that age. It’s just off to me.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

The cult of personality has grown because of Trump.

Media, Hollywood, politicians, all idolize the woman because with her gone, Trump could remove an ideologue from the court and actually place a Constitutionalist.

So expect lots of media attention on her. Mostly just embarrassing idol-fan-fiction that is hiding panic from leftists who see their agenda falling behind.

I mean, who will they get to abort the first 2 amendments with her gone?

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I will wait to see this trash when it comes out on VHS.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   

No, she did not! In her book, Sex Bias in the U.S. Code, she cited a bill that was before Congress as sexually bias.

The bizarre claim that Ginsburg wants the age of consent to be 12 comes from a book published in 1977 called Sex Bias in the U.S. Code. It was a book about how laws in the US in the 70s made rape illegal if a man was the rapist, but were written in such a way that a woman rapist could not be charged or punished.
www.quora.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rewey

The title makes it sound like it has something to do with her stance on sex. I mean gender. I mean rainbow spectrum.

Usually the subject of a Biography is allowed to pre-screen it, and give feedback to the producer and media. Maybe Justice Ginsburg didn't want to be bothered. She's a busy lady!

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Usually the subject of a Biography is allowed to pre-screen it, and give feedback to the producer and media. Maybe Justice Ginsburg didn't want to be bothered. She's a busy lady!

She would probably sleep through it anyway.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Not a person I would consider “idolizing” as a lot of folks do...but, that’s just me. I can’t remeber the details but, I stumbled and skimmed an article about the cultish following surrounding this morally superior being. I just don’t get it.

I didn’t really read it bc I just can’t wrap my head around anyone that would promote consensual sex at that age. It’s just off to me.

Five days ago, Politico magazine published this article on the "RGB Cult" following.

Article: www.politico.com...

I didn't know she had a devout following! Just people who want her to stay alive and on the Supreme Court for another 20 years.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Ginsburg became deeply involved in “On the Basis of Sex” (December 25, Focus Features), ensuring that Stiepleman and director Mimi Leder nailed the legal details, giving them books and files along with detailed script notes. She also had cast approval over stars Armie Hammer (“Call Me By Your Name”) and Oscar-nominee Felicity Jones (“The Theory of Everything”).
www.indiewire.com...

“Natalie Portman came to talk to me about this, and we had a very good conversation,” Ginsburg told her former clerk, California Supreme Court Justice Goodwin Liu, at the American Constitution Society convention in Washington. “And one thing, interesting, that she insisted on, it held up the project for awhile. She said, ‘I want the director to be a woman. There are not enough women in this industry. There are many talented out there.’ And now they do have a woman director.”
In May, Deadline Hollywood reported that Marielle Heller, whose recent debut was Diary of a Teenage Girl, was in negotiations to direct.
The script was written by the nephew of Ginsburg’s late husband Martin Ginsburg. “He asked if he could write a script about a case in which Marty and I were involved in 1971,” Ginsburg said, “and I said, ‘Yes, if you like to spend your time doing that.’”
www.msnbc.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Wow. You make it sound like Ruth Ginsberg is the KEYSTONE for the Democratic agenda. Let's hope that Hillary is willing to share her cloning technology with Gingsburg's doctor soon. Maybe she already has.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
I will wait to see this trash when it comes out on VHS.

That might be awhile. As the OP article states, The Basis of Sex is opening in 100 additional theaters next week!

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

It looks like the Script-Writers inserted some lies and non-truths into this important movie!

www.newsbusters.org...

I'm sure it was done without Justice Bader's knowledge or approval.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

No, she did not! In her book, Sex Bias in the U.S. Code, she cited a bill that was before Congress as sexually bias.

The bizarre claim that Ginsburg wants the age of consent to be 12 comes from a book published in 1977 called Sex Bias in the U.S. Code. It was a book about how laws in the US in the 70s made rape illegal if a man was the rapist, but were written in such a way that a woman rapist could not be charged or punished.
www.quora.com...

Care to elaborate? The quote from the book is a bit confusing.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I can't imagine a movie I would want to see less. Maybe something by Michael Moore would be worse, but definitely my idea of hell.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

Read the linked article. Read the book if you still have questions.

In Sex Bias in the U.S. Code, Ginsburg uses an example of a bill that was in front of Congress. Ginsburg did not write the bill, she did not support the bill, she was not in Congress, and she had nothing to do with it. The bill said:
A person is guilty of an offense if he engages in a sexual act with another person, not his spouse, and: (1) compels the other person to participate: (A) by force; or (B) by threatening or placing the other person in fear that any person will imminently be subjected to death, serious bodily injury, or kidnapping; (2) has substantially impaired the other person's power to appraise or control the conduct by administering or employing a drug or intoxicant without the knowledge or against the will of such other person, or by other means; or (3) the other person is, in fact, less than twelve years old."
...….
Ginsburg said this was an example of how the law has sexist biases, specifically because it assumes all rapists are men—with this law as it is written, a woman can never be a rapist. She said that if the law were to be made so that it was not sexist, references to “he” would need to be taken out, and the bill would need to be rewritten to apply equally to men and women.
www.quora.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

In the trailer for the movie that actually state the line that the title comes from..it's something to the effect of "You can't discriminate on the basis of sex" I'll get the exact quote but Im not sure what about that is weird to you.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join