It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Electromagnetic Event Impacting The United States Is Inevitable. Get Ready Now

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
An electromagnetic event impacting the United States is inevitable says recent government reports. We are on our own as nobody wants to reinforce the power grids due to costs and corruption of government regulators. There seems to be a sudden mobilization on this in the .gov sector as numerous military and governmental reports have come out within the last year.

Three reports on the issue have been recently declassified by the Pentagon and seven more are awaiting clearance, yes 7 more. There is a lot of material here but of interest is the possibility of 60 nuclear plant meltdowns with refugees in the millions.

Get ready now. If not for yourself, for your family.

US Air Force Electromagnetic Defense Task Force 2018 Report
www.airuniversity.af.edu...

The American Foreign Policy Council Winter 2018 Strategic Primer
www.afpc.org...

An electromagnetic event impacting the United States is inevitable. There are three types of threats that the country could face, and should
consequently prepare for:

National Infrastructure Advisory Council
www.hsdl.org...
www.hsdl.org...

From the Executive Summary: "The President's National Infrastructure Advisory Council (NIAC) was tasked to examine the nation's ability to respond to and recover from a catastrophic power outage of a magnitude beyond modern experience, exceeding prior events in severity, scale, duration, and consequence. Simply put, how can the nation best prepare for and recover from a catastrophic power outage, regardless of the cause? After interviews with dozens of senior leaders and experts and an extensive review of studies and statutes, we found that existing national plans, response resources, and coordination strategies would be outmatched by a catastrophic power outage. This profound risk requires a new national focus. Significant public and private action is needed to prepare for and recover from a catastrophic outage that could leave the large parts of the nation without power for weeks or months, and cause service failures in other sectors-- including water and wastewater, communications, transportation, healthcare, and financial services--that are critical to public health and safety and our national and economic security."

Skip to 2:30 for the summary -

Assessing the threat from an electromagnetic pulse
apps.dtic.mil...

EMP Commission warns ‘blackout’ of electricity, food, water to last ‘year or longer,’ huge death toll
www.washingtonexaminer.com...

Three reports on the issue have been declassified by the Pentagon and seven more are awaiting clearance.

The warnings in the report somewhat echo those made a similar commission a decade ago. But this time the feared attacks aren’t just from a solar event but a potential atmospheric nuclear blast or cyber hit launched by North Korea, China or Russia.

What’s more, the report warns that despite President Trump’s focus on the issue and demand for action, federal agencies are fighting over the issue and the Defense Department, which is factoring in EMP protection into its plans, isn’t sharing critical information to help civilian agencies and private firms make similar protections.

Also declassified was a report from Peter Vincent Pry, who served on a prior EMP Commission and is executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security, spelling out the human toll of an EMP attack on the electric grid. He also advises the current commission.

In “Life Without Electricity,” he said the results would be:

Social Order: Looting requires dusk to dawn curfew. People become refugees as they flee powerless homes. Work force becomes differently employed at scavenging for basics, including water, food, and shelter.

Communications: No TV, radio, or phone service.

Transportation: Gas pumps inoperable. Failure of signal lights and street lights impedes traffic, stops traffic after dark. No mass transit metro service. Airlines stopped.

Water and Food: No running water. Stoves and refrigerators inoperable. People melt snow, boil water, and cook over open fires. Local food supplies exhausted. Most stores close due to blackout.

Energy: Oil and natural gas flows stop.

Emergency Medical: Hospitals operate in dark. Patients on dialysis and other life support threatened. Medications administered and babies born by flashlight.

Death and Injury: Casualties from exposure, carbon dioxide poisoning and house fires increase.

EMP Attack Would Cause Mass U.S. Starvation, Says Congressional Report, (EMP) attack on the U.S. would ultimately wipe out 90% of the population.
www.forbes.com...
Ignoring EMP threat is a death sentence for Americans
thehill.com...

Following an EMP attack, 326 million Americans could not long survive bereft of the electronic civilization that sustains their lives. EMP would be a civilization killer. 20 years after the first open congressional EMP hearing in 1995 — the U.S. Government Accountability Office testified to Congress that not a single major recommendation of the EMP Commission had yet been implemented. Not one.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

90% seems to be a pretty high estimate. Humans are resourceful and adaptable. We help each other during crises. Knowing basic survival skills is a start. Know where to find fresh water and how to identify local plants. Knowing how to trap and hunt, as well as what to do with your kill. Being able to build a fire from scratch is a must.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing 90% of the politicians gone...

ETA: Sorry for the bold text, I don't know how to stop it
edit on 18-12-2018 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

90% seems to be a pretty high estimate. Humans are resourceful and adaptable. We help each other during crises. Knowing basic survival skills is a start. Know where to find fresh water and how to identify local plants. Knowing how to trap and hunt, as well as what to do with your kill. Being able to build a fire from scratch is a must.

Been in public lately?
Could you see one in ten surviving more than a month? A year?

In three weeks the cities would be smouldering ashes, the suburbs would be ravaged by roaming gangs of looters from the cities, and the country side would be full of old couples hanging themselves in the garage to avoid starvation.

90% doesn't sound far off at all, to me.
edit on 18-12-2018 by a325nt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Not my precious social media....ohh no.

I'm ready though. Have 2 pallets of funions and a months worth of beer.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
How much y'all wanna bet on how many kidnappings will happen during that time?

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Ew warm beer? Kill me now.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine

The infirm, elderly, and those reliant on drugs (like insulin) would die in days / weeks.

95% of the US population has less than 2 weeks worth of food. Most have only a few days. People will be starving and with no resupply, violence and starvation will happen.

Most people have no way to purify water and waterborne sickness will run rampant.

No sanitation. People will flock to water sources and they will soon be polluted with human waste causing more disease.

Cold will kill those who cannot survive the winter.

Hunting... LOL, everything on 4 legs would be dead within a few weeks.

90%, maybe, maybe not... but even at 50% you are talking 165 MILLION people.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

The only thing I disagree with is the rural folks, old or otherwise, hell even that older couple probably lives on an older farm that still has a pump well and an old outhouse. Plus....they spent the better part of their life producing from the land.

It's all population density, higher density coralates with increased reliance on tech and infrastructure as well as a mentality that is more distant from "frontier life".

Rural areas will suffer, but of the 10 percent that would survive, I know what, and where, the 9.9 percent would look like. Rural America.
edit on 18-12-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

You take an afternoon, dig a 6 foot deep hole and put your brew in your new fridge.

Another example why city folk would just curl up and die without such necessities as electricity and hipster beard waxes.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The only thing I disagree with is the rural folks, old or otherwise, hell even that older couple probably lives on an older farm that still has a pump well and an old outhouse. Plus....they spent the better part of their life producing from the land.

It's all population density, higher density coralates with increased reliance on tech and infrastructure as well as a mentality that is more distant from "frontier life".

Rural areas will suffer, but of the 10 percent that would survive, I know what, and where, the 9.9 percent would like like. Rural America.

True, the biggest problem in a rural area for someone prepared is the unprepared.... people in general.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Rural areas will suffer, but of the 10 percent that would survive, I know what, and where, the 9.9 percent would like like. Rural America.

True, the biggest problem in a rural area for someone prepared is the unprepared.... people in general.

They'de most likely get gun down in the suburb wars, even if they make it rural, they would stick out like a sore thumb and wouldn't last days.
edit on 18-12-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Hunting requires guns and gun training. That knocks off a large percentage of people there.

I still think a crazy, humans are bad for the planet-leftist- al gore worshiper could set off an emp to save the earth from mankind

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

They'de most likely get gun down in the suburb wars, even if they make it rural, they would stick out like a sore thumb and wouldn't last days.

Unfortunately, it is not golden hordes from the cities... most probably unprepared neighbors who have decided to take what they need.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
After 30 years of serious study of survival skills 90% of those 10% who do survive will do so because they built back up systems to generate power. Even if I was in prime condition (which I am as far from as possible) my odds might be 50/50 making it more than a year or 2. I can improvise from nature everything to stay clothed, housed and fed but I cannot make antibiotics, steroids, oxygen or 100 other possible essential items only our modern society can provide. Nor can I attend to providing basics while in a hostile environment or having to keep watch 24/7.

1) hightly improbably you will survive on your own.
2) just as unlikely to survive without modern infrastructure.
3) buy that farm and put in some windmills and a pond
4) If you can't afford it find several other people who want a farm and buy it together. This is what i would be doing if I had young dependent children.
edit on 18-12-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Well, another Carrington Event is a certainty, yes.

However, it could happen tomorrow or 1,000 years from now, so I don't really see the big panic there.

Economic collapse is a far more certain scenario, tbh.

As far as a 90% death rate, I think it will be higher.

Nobody has any essential skills anymore about what to do without electricity, much less water.

Basic first aid? Gone now.

Being able to live off the land? A quaint thing very few people do.

So my thought over the years (a gift given to me by my parents, that knowledge) is to work hard, buy a place that can be made self-sufficient, make it so over the years so that when you retire, you really don't need money to finish off your life.

Buy land that is at least 100 miles from a city over 50k people, make sure you have water available, put in an orchard, get gardens going, work with your neighbors so that there is in place a barter system.

Buy land where the wildlife population is 100 times bigger than the people population.

Get off-grid, set up solar, micro-hydro... have enough parts to last for 50 years.

Put up enough food to last until you can stabilize your food crops.

If you are doing all of this just to retire and putter around in your garden, then most SHTF scenarios don't really matter.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I just think big cities would be the worst off. I know it would be a high percentage, but even local communities would try to rig something together to get some kind of power generation. People farm, have gardens, trap animals, solve problems...

All I said was it seems like a high estimate. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Humans have survived without electricity before, if you all weren't aware. But yeah, city dwellers would be up the proverbial creek.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I've been on a post-apocalyptic book binge the past year or so. I must have read about 50 books on the subject.

The gold standard for this scenario is One Second After by Bill Forstchen. While the book is fiction, he delves into great detail as to how 90% of the population will die and all the other issues that will crop up if the entire grid goes down. The story covers:

The sick and infirm can't get their medicine
Lack of transportation means no food or any supplies. The general scarcity of goods
Lawlessness, nomadic gangs
Hordes of people escaping from cities into small towns and rural areas
Societal breakdown in general... no functioning government

It is pretty eye opening and a very good read (or listen if you like audio books). The book does a good job showing how at first, no one thinks it is a big deal but after about a week, the sh*t starts hitting the fan when people realize help isn't coming and supplies start running low.
edit on 18-12-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Would if I could. Unfortunately, I live about 35 miles from a major city due to my need for income.

Now, I am on 5+ acres with a large pond which helps. Best I can do until retirement or powerball win.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

You take an afternoon, dig a 6 foot deep hole and put your brew in your new fridge.

Another example why city folk would just curl up and die without such necessities as electricity and hipster beard waxes.

Truth be told, if I had the money I'd learn how to live off the grid. I'm a wage slave barely making rent from month to month. Most people are.

I envy those who are fortunate enough not to be dependent on anyone or anything. It really is my American Dream.

So uhhh...you wouldn't share those funyuns with me if I dug your fridge hole?

edit on 18-12-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

Would if I could. Unfortunately, I live about 35 miles from a major city due to my need for income.

Now, I am on 5+ acres with a large pond which helps. Best I can do until retirement or powerball win.

A pond and 5 acres can do an amazing amount of things though, as far as survivability.

Just make sure you have good neighbors...

For the record, I drive 800 miles one way a month to work 21 days then drive 800 miles back to take 10 days off.

So there are sacrifices made for having what I think is perfect.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join