It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey Assaults the First and Second Amendments

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

facilitating the manufacture

That's the language. So if I tell you how to find plans did I not facilitate it?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Do you really want every Tom, Dick, and Harry printing guns in their basement?

I prefer my bang sticks to come from reputable proven manufactures and not blow up in my face anyway.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

There is a difference between wanting it and believing in sacrificing my constitutional rights.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin
edit on 12-12-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

How are you sacrificing your rights? Is this going to take your guns away? Can you not go to a store and buy one?

I guess if you wanted to print one, all you need is a manufacture license.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I have the right to discuss legal activities. 3d guns are legal in state X. I'm in NJ, I tell someone in state X how to get one.

I have just facilitated the legal manufacturing of a 3d gun and my words are criminal in NJ.

This is analogous to making the anarchist cookbook illegal.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I have the right to discuss legal activities. 3d guns are legal in state X. I'm in NJ, I tell someone in state X how to get one. I have just facilitated the legal manufacturing of a 3d gun and my words are criminal in NJ.

Yea, that's not correct at all.

a person to distribute by any means, including the Internet, to a person in New Jersey who is not registered or licensed as a manufacturer as provided in chapter 58 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes, digital instructions in the form of computer-aided design files or other code or instructions stored and displayed in electronic format as a digital model that may be used to program a three-dimensional printer to manufacture or produce a firearm, firearm receiver, magazine, or firearm component.

The relevant portion is in bold.
edit on 12-12-2018 by Shamrock6 because: incomplete quote

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'll just say you're right. How is transmitting information illegal. Anarchist cookbook teaches bomb making, book legal, making the bomb isn't.

Free speech protects both.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

this is unconstitutional though. because we are allowed to make weapons for personal use if we decide to do so. This is a supreme court challenge if i ever saw one.

My understanding is that under federal law, there is no requirement for a license to manufacture a firearm for personal use. States are free to enact laws imposing their own restrictions however as there's no constitutionally guaranteed right to manufacture firearms for personal use nor any other conflict with federal law.

There's also a federal law (Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988, 18 U.S.C. § 922 — signed into law by Ronald Reagan) that prohibits individuals from even possessing firearms that are undetectable to metal detectors so it's possible that even in jurisdictions where 3D printed firearms would otherwise be legal, that a lack of metallic parts would render the firearm illegal to even possess.
edit on 2018-12-12 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Which means metallic parts need to be added.

The problem is it's not the gun, it's the information that's now illegal. It's protected by the 1st, just like the anarchist cookbook.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

seems not so much, at least in NJ
it will be interesting to see if and how this is challenged
what other information will be "illegal" if this is not?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I'll just say you're right.

Since your assertion is demonstrably false, that's cool I guess?

How is transmitting information illegal

Jersey is whack, man. Between your state legislature and Augustus, I avoid the entire state at all costs.

It should, yes. I think this law would be ripe for a legal challenge under the 1st Amendment but who knows.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Or NJ overstepped.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Jersey is whack, man. Between your state legislature and Augustus, I avoid the entire state at all costs.

Sound judgement.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I see little to nothing to argue with there.
I'm from MA, always avoided jersey at all costs.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: shooterbrody

Or NJ overstepped.

oh I think they did and stepped right into something they will have to scrape off
banning the weapon is one thing
banning plans or discussion, in person or online is another

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

) a person who is not registered or licensed to do so as a manufacturer as provided in chapter 58 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes, to use a three-dimensional printer or similar device to manufacture or produce a firearm, firearm receiver, magazine, or firearm component;

So you can't even print yourself a pair of monogrammed pistol grips; "firearm component"

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Usually New Jersey is pretty liberal. I've seen the Anarchist Cookbook for sale so what difference does distributing 3D gun plans make?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

FIring pins are METAL even in those guns. you need metal to ignite the primers. They just need to up the metal detectors sensitivity or better yet add chemical detectors to it so the gunpowder is detected.

I like regan but that was unconstitutional in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Most people can barely use a computer. Much less figure out how to setup a 3d printer to actually print a weapon.

Hell a lot of people can barely chew gum and walk at the same time. So not every Tom and Dick will be able to do so. Except for Harry, he knows enough just to be dangerous.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

True. But I see the technology advancing. Maybe eventually everyone will own a 3d printer just like a PC.

Harry is a dirty bastard.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join