It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart Nation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was out east on business a few years ago and I asked the hotel clerk where the nearest Walmart was located.
She said that they dont let walmart's in.

I thought that was a bit odd.
Especially when you consider I drove to a target store... apparently Walmart is different than target.

Cant remember if it was Connecticut or dc...

Keeping the stores out might effect the graph.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

i'm not interested in those things, either.

but, for those who are (and, there are a lot) i wonder what would happen to walmart if everyone got really good paying jobs.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogany

Why dont you try responding to the actual post instead of making such an ignorant statement assuming I'm and alcoholic?

Only idiots fall for the left right divide.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I was out east on business a few years ago and I asked the hotel clerk where the nearest Walmart was located.
She said that they dont let walmart's in.

I thought that was a bit odd.
Especially when you consider I drove to a target store... apparently Walmart is different than target.

Cant remember if it was Connecticut or dc...

Keeping the stores out might effect the graph.

Last I heard they keep them out of specific major cities. Here is the list I found on a quick Google search.

New York City, San Francisco, Detroit, Seattle or Boston

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Mostly cities where the local population can afford to spend the money needed to hire legal representation that can fight them in court

From my experience

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Mostly cities where the local population can afford to spend the money needed to hire legal representation that can fight them in court

From my experience

Yep, the source said local businesses fight them from entering.

ETA:

Reasons for the absence vary, but local businesses often fight Walmart’s entry into their market and many consumers share that objection. City residents who live near the proposed location of one of Walmart’s massive supercenters object to the increase in traffic. Others object to the company’s low-wage scale, which rouses significant union opposition in cities like New York, San Francisco, Detroit and Boston. Local governments elected by local residents listen carefully to these objections.

Here is the source if you're interested...Link
edit on 26-11-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I lived in a town that did this for a while. They love their target though

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yes there are many red states that supposedly verify what you assert but to say what you claim, overall, is a stretch for me. Lots of red states don't fit and some blue states do fit your assertion. I'd say marginally accurate at best.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Wow I guess I was born too late to see those days..is it really surprising that they are mostly in poor areas ?

I would say that honestly, you get what you pay for, and when your broke you go to wal mart. Signed a poor person who goes to wal mart because where else am I to go.

Wal mart has effectively taken over any hope of a small business here. It is the one stop shop for everything where I live, theres nowhere else to go.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Interesting correlation but I think the stats might be skewed due to higher minimum wages in certain states like NY and CA.

I have been boycotting Walmart for 30 years.
At the same time I saw the incoming wave of immigration from Mexico so I boycotted Mexican restaurants.
Looks like it didn't do any damn good.

edit on 26-11-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I shop at Walmart all the time, I personally don't measure my worth with how much money I make or where I shop. I'm sure most people would put their finances before their politics, I would hope so at least.

I haven't set foot in Walmart in a good decade+, since my best friend ended up settling for them as an employer and started spilling some dirty beans about them.

I loathe Sh#mart not because of what they sell, but because of how they treat their employees. The pay leaves a lot to be desired, but the point system in particular is an absolute load of crap and they know it. The penalties for taking a day off to take her kids to sudden doctor visits for illnesses have nearly cost my best friend her job with them, and she literally cannot afford to be fired in a rural town with no other viable job prospects -- and certainly not ones of better pay because they don't exist.

The company has a monopoly in vulnerable, easy-to-manipulate areas, and it's not a good thing. They don't deserve my money.
edit on 11/26/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

This statement does bring up some great points. I was a manager, not at wal mart but at another business. There was a woman who was working for us who's son was very sick at the time and needed to get treatment. My employer tried to fire her and I had to go against him and put my job on the line to defend her because she was indeed telling the truth.

What happened in the end unfortunately was that she did lose her job, and I quit.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I don't visit Walmart anymore.

I used to when I needed to stretch my dollar.

I have since bettered my debt to income ratio and make better choices with my money.

I don't shop at Walmart anymore because the stores in my area have turned into dirty, smelly and generally foul stores. They are run down, no where near as clean as they once were, and I am sorry to say, the population that shops here (at least in my area) are not very civil nor to they practice good hygiene. What did it for me and was the final straw was as I was walking into a Walmart, a very large and unclean woman was in front of me with her 5 children. The children were all 4-6 age range and in anything from just underwear to fully clothed. Mom was wearing spandex shorts with fresh stains in the butt crack. That did it for me. I have not set foot in a Walmart since.

Now I shop at Target or I shop online. I have similar stories about the Rich folks who frequent Target. They are a fun group to observe as they shop with their $8 dollar Starbucks coffee..... I don't enjoy the 1v1 consumer shopping experience.
edit on 26-11-2018 by wdkirk because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2018 by wdkirk because: grammar sucks

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Where I live, yeah, Walmart is one of the go to’s, but don’t forget your local Dollar General empire, strategically placed, closer to most people here, some of their items are cheaper and a lot people shop there for basic necessities. I live in the poorest county in one of the poorest states. I don’t blame anyone here that can only afford to go to these establishments, there is no other cheaper place to shop. And btw the more expensive grocery stores have closed up shop, do we blame them, the people who live here or Walmart.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
How do you account for the states that are some of the poorest, yet Walmart isn't the biggest employer? Or some of the states where Walmart is one of the biggest employer, yet isn't one of the poorest?

You might at least point out the evidence to the contrary instead of suppressing it.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Looks like Walmart is employing a lot of people.

Good for them.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You want the real conspiracy here?

Denver Airport is the largest employer in Colorado

I mean come on...REALLY

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Denver Airport is the largest employer in Colorado?

How many floors below the surface of the earth does that place go?

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I can totally understand where you're coming from. Walmart is cheap and has just about everything I could need for the most part, the affordability is the main reason for me but I understand why people wouldn't want to shop there.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Great OP... and all part of the very reasons that I have not spent a single penny in a Walmart in many years now.

What you are explaining is one of the biggest tax payer cons that have ever been hidden in plain sight.

For starters, the largest brick and mortar retailer in the world should not be allowed to have such a large number of employees that partake in government subsidies. Wally world's take on tax payer funds is atrocious...

www.forbes.com...[/exn ews]

So, a poor person takes the meager Wally world offerings to get by. The subsidies to supplement the poor offer of hours and or pay is there to balance out the need of food and basic goods... that's great.

But, to get the most from their subsidies they need to think hard and heavy about purchasing elsewhere, as the best cost of goods is with their own employer... go figure. So, now we have a system where not only is Walmart abusing their profits against American tax dollars, but they managed to find a way to further profit off of the distributed subsidies as a whole.

I presume the consumer cattle will herd their way through those cancerous check-out isles regardless of whats said here though...
edit on 26-11-2018 by ttobban because: split link...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join