It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange whine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I have a 1996 Dodge Ram half ton 2 wheel drive with a 5 liter 318 V8 and an automatic transmission.

Over the last week I've noticed a strange whine. It doesn't start until I'm up to about 20 to 25 miles an hour and it sounds almost exactly like road noise from the tires. But I know it's not. I've been driving this truck for quite a while now and pretty familiar with all the noises it makes. I just had new tires put on, but the noise was there before they were put on.
I've check the transmission fluid, everything seems fine and there have been no problems shifting.
It's kind of hard to tell where it's coming from while I'm driving down the road, but it seems to be coming from the right front. It is definitely coming from the right side of the truck but it's kind of difficult to tell whether it's front or rear. I'm kind of thinking front wheel bearing, but I would think they would have caught that when putting new tires on. If there are any details I left out, please ask.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Driveshaft/Ujoints?

Brakes/Calipers?

Grease your zerks

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I just put new rotors and brakes on the front a couple of months ago.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I would look at the wheel bearing asembly. I have a few Dodges. On my 2500 Ram I removed the speed sensor from hub and greased with warm grease and a needle.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

rear axle ?? - diff ??????????

what is vehicle milage - and has it had correct service history ??

also - is there any vibration ??? - propshaft is a common cause

also - does it make the noise - all time @ 25mph ???????????????? or just under load ?????????????

worse up hill or down ???

lastly - wind noise - is sommething that people often over look

are you able to jack rear axle up - and secure it - axle stands and chocks on front tyresc???

is so run it upto 25mph - and get an assistant in cab - while you scoot under - the source of noise might nbe obvious - and can be located with a " listening bar " - nothing more complex that a 300m rod of 6mm steel - place one end against component - and other against ear

will stop there - as that covers the " first line of inquiry "

ETA - does the transmission drain bung and or rear axle drain bung have " swarf trap " - its just a small magnet that you clean evvery oil cgange - if either has excessive " bits " - may be bearings in either assy .

i REALLY will stop now
edit on 26-11-2018 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I have a 1996 Dodge Ram half ton 2 wheel drive with a 5 liter 318 V8 and an automatic transmission.

Over the last week I've noticed a strange whine. It doesn't start until I'm up to about 20 to 25 miles an hour and it sounds almost exactly like road noise from the tires. But I know it's not. I've been driving this truck for quite a while now and pretty familiar with all the noises it makes. I just had new tires put on, but the noise was there before they were put on.
I've check the transmission fluid, everything seems fine and there have been no problems shifting.
It's kind of hard to tell where it's coming from while I'm driving down the road, but it seems to be coming from the right front. It is definitely coming from the right side of the truck but it's kind of difficult to tell whether it's front or rear. I'm kind of thinking front wheel bearing, but I would think they would have caught that when putting new tires on. If there are any details I left out, please ask.

Serpentine belt? Check for cracks and wear

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

anything engine side - SHOULD be dependant on engine RPM - and " repeat " at a range of road speeds in each gear

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The noise doesn't start until about 20 to 25 miles an hour, but it is constant and doesn't change pitch. I thought at first it was just tire noise but no matter what surface I am driving on whether it be gravel or blacktop the pitch of the noise doesn't change which it should depending on the road surface if it was just tire noise. Hopefully not the rear end because I do all my work in my driveway and it is 30 degrees outside.
It only has 134,000 miles and there is no vibration, just noise. It's almost like that whine you hear when you are in reverse
edit on 26-11-2018 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Just put a new one on two days ago and the noise was there before that.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

crap - i miss read a key sentence

a front wheel bearing SHOULD sound better or worse as the steering is applied - ie - at 25mph - on a private road or open space - slalom - if noise alters - check bearings

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ttropia

This! I’ve had to change more than a few of these for the same humming reason.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Have you ran over a SJW and it somehow got stuck or wrapped around moving parts?😉

Sorry the thread title got me grinning...
edit on 26-11-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Apologies for derailing... my humour is crap

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Those don't whine, but that loud reeeeee can make you think the belt is slipping.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Those don't whine, but that loud reeeeee can make you think the belt is slipping.

Could be the gear box too!?🤣🤣🤣

On a more serious note : Have you checked if the front wheels are parallel? Unusual tyre wear on the extreme sides of each tyre?

Could be the bearings too as pretty easy to miss if the bloke at the garage does or didn’t pay attention!

Warmest

Lags
edit on 26-11-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Crapper than crap!

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I had the front end aligned about a month ago and these tires were just put on about 10 days ago but they are showing no unusual wear.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I had the front end aligned about a month ago and these tires were just put on about 10 days ago but they are showing no unusual wear.

Sounds like the bearings!

Then again, I’m a veterinary surgeon...

Saying that, have any knee problems?

Nothing that a ball hammer and rusty screw driver can’t sort out! “Coughs”
edit on 26-11-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Crap again

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Have you ran over a SJW and it somehow got stuck or wrapped around moving parts?😉

Sorry the thread title got me grinning...

The whole world knows that whine...

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

VETERINARY surgeon ! ?

( backs away slowly ) My knees are fine..... EVERYTHING is fine.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

VETERINARY surgeon ! ?

( backs away slowly ) My knees are fine..... EVERYTHING is fine.

Trust me...

I an not a close friend of that DBcowboy bloke or that Augustus whatever you call him.

Erm... right, back to looking for my pig mask....

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
don't know...just something to check as it's not present until certain speed is reached

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join