It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the alledged " lies of NASA " please cite the most ergregious one

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
hi all

" NASA lies " is a canard that permeates so many threads - its getting silly

so - in the interest of discourse - lets have cite examples

1 per ATS member - [ soley to avoid gish gallops ] and please dont repeat other peoples e" examples "

so - the most ergregious // worst lies of NASA

go ........................

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

That the shuttle program was a cost effective and safe means of getting to and from space.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   

The Viking Mission didn't find signs of life on Mars.

"We just plugged all the [Viking experimental and control] data in and said, Let the cluster analysis sort it," Miller said. "What happened was, we found two clusters: One cluster constituted the two active experiments on Viking and the other cluster was the five control experiments."

To bolster their case, the team also compared the Viking data to measurements collected from confirmed biological sources on Earth—for example, temperature readings from a rat—and from purely physical, nonbiological sources.

"It turned out that all the biological experiments from Earth sorted with the active experiments from Viking, and all the nonbiological data series sorted with the control experiments," Miller said. "It was an extremely clear-cut phenomenon."

Despite his own conviction that the Viking mission detected life on Mars, Miller said he doesn't expect most people will be convinced until they can look at a video of Martian bacteria sitting in a petri dish.

"But for some reason, NASA has never flown a microscope that would let you do something like that," he said. "If they can fly a microscope for the geologists, they should be able to fly one for the biologists."
news.nationalgeographic.com...

edit on 25-11-2018 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
'Moon rock' given to Holland by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin is fake
A moon rock given to the Dutch prime minister by Apollo 11 astronauts in 1969 has turned out to be a fake.

Curators at Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum, where the rock has attracted tens of thousands of visitors each year, discovered that the "lunar rock", valued at £308,000, was in fact petrified wood.

I would like to know the back story about this.. and know more about the other "moon rocks" if there are any real ones on earth

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

To be fair there wasn't a strong chain of evidence with that example. It wasn't a gift directly from NASA or astronauts and actually came from some ambassador who also couldn't say where it was from.

It's still very interesting because the rock presumably wasn't plucked from a flower bed. I think it could have been a joke or hoax that was lost in time. phys.org...

Apparently there are plenty of missing Moon rock pieces. One of which is estimated to have a value of £3 million and is lying in an Irish dump. Nobody's ever going to find a 2g stone in 1000s of tons of waste.

Gutheinz concedes he will never be able to recover all of the missing Moon rocks - many are now in private collections - but says there are some he particularly wants back.

"Definitely the Malta Moon rock. I'd really like to see that back, and the Romanian rock. If I go to Europe, I will hunt that one down. I have a few ideas as to how I'll do that.

"And I love the story about the Ireland Moon rock - that pot of gold under a dump."

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

That the shuttle program was a cost effective and safe means of getting to and from space.

It wasn't a lie, just a typical case of plans being overtaken by reality. And that is something that happens all the time, especially with large and complex projects.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Caught altering data that resulted in higher temperatures ....

This isn’t the first time NASA climate-change scientists have fudged data. James Hansen is famous for it

NASA has done the opposite and decreased temperatures prior to 1972 by 0.4C

virtually all of the warming since 1973 appears to be the result of adjustments

Satellites are lying

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

NASA Admits We Can't Leave Earth's Lower Orbit 720p
1:23

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

They are talking about current manned missions, not past manned moon missions.

Because current rockets that are manned are not built or made (planned) to reach escape velocity from Earth orbit, which is the only reason they aren't going leave Earth orbit. The mission isn't wanting to reach escape velocity. If they did that outside of the mission's scope and planning they would be doomed.

Current orbit speeds are around 17,500 MPH which is enough speed for a stable orbit, but well below the speed needed to leave the Earth's gravitational influence.
edit on 25-11-2018 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

They are talking about current manned missions, not past manned moon missions.

Because current rockets that are manned are not built or made (planned) to reach escape velocity from Earth orbit, which is the only reason they aren't going leave Earth orbit. The mission isn't wanting to reach escape velocity. If they did that outside of the mission's scope and planning they would be doomed.

Current orbit speeds are around 17,500 MPH which is enough speed for a stable orbit, but well below the speed needed to leave the Earth's gravitational influence.

No. They are talking about man's inability to pass safely through the Van Allen belts. Not only that, the rockets and machines used by Apollo were not adequately shielded from heat and radiation. Hence the need for new tech aboard the Orion.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

Cuz itz on teh interwebz it gotta be true!

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

"They are talking about current manned missions, not past manned moon missions."

Quote is not working right now for me

I am pretty sure we went to the moon but NASA can not even get into low Earth orbit currently!

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

That Mars is less Earth like than it really is.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

The craft being developed are much more complex than Apollo was, which means they require more testing in the Van Allen Belts. Van Allen himself said that short quick passes through the Belts were possible and safe, which is what Apollo did.

Orion is going to perform a much different mission than Apollo did. Apollo was designed for short missions to the moon and back. Orion is designed for missions to asteroids, the moon, and eventually Mars all in one craft.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

"When I became the NASA administrator, (President Obama) charged me with three things," Bolden said in the interview which aired last week. "One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math and engineering."

www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Cuz itz on teh interwebz it gotta be true!

Let's see what NASA has to say:

NASA engineer admits they can’t get past the Van Allen Belts
7:01

You only need to watch the first 4 minutes. He talks about how the Van Allen belt disrupts electronics and communication. Orion has shielding, Apollo had none. And admission starts at: 3:00 “We must SOLVE these challenges before we SEND PEOPLE through this region of space”! 3:37

I haven't even touched on cosmic rays and solar flares after you get past the belt.

Even if this is not proof for you, I would not turn this thread into an involved debate over this one point. The OP requested a list and since this is frequently cited, I submitted it. If you need a debate, there are other threads about just this.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

So that was not true?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

If you have to say "help them feel good about their contribution" then yes not true.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Apollo passed through the north portion of the belts where they're thinnest, and made a quick transit. Orion can't do that, because it's not just going to the moon.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
NASA deleted the Opportunity images showing the flag Neil Armstrong planted on Mars. Sheila Jackson-Lee outraged.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join