It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Proof of ET's Make you Question Your Belief in God?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
With the advances we made in space exploration, the chances of finding intelligent life are becoming increasingly more tangible.

As I child, I was raised a Catholic. Heaven was 'up', and hell was 'down'. With our advances in the last 30 years, we have been up,and found no heaven. We have drilled miles deep into the Earth, and have found no Hell. This made me start questioning my faith. If ET's do exist, then wouldn't that wipe out the religious theory of Judaism/Christianty/Islam?

Would the death of Jesus, for the sins of mankind, actually have no bearing in the overall view of the universe? Would beings from other worlds be considered 'evil'or pagan, because they would have no knowledge of Jesus?

Would the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, become more a book of fairy tales if ET's were discovered?

If God created the Universe, then why would he send his only son to earth, when there are millions of other worlds in the Universe? And this is just one universe, in the infinite of space.

Or.... could the ancients of the Middle East, have based God and his teachings on Alien contact/intervention?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think for some people it will fortify their belief in god. I've read many posts about Aliens being demons. Some of the posts even say that UFOs will bring the rapture.
I'm not Jewish, Christian or Islamic. I guess personally worldly accepted proof of ETs would not change my beliefs in anything. I do believe that when this does come about the world will be changed forever.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Would the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, become more a book of fairy tales if ET's were discovered?

Many see them that way now...

If God created the Universe, then why would he send his only son to earth, when there are millions of other worlds in the Universe? And this is just one universe, in the infinite of space.

Because the ego of man is absolutely laughable?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't think there is such thing as God. Why would he put his "son" here on Earth when there are probably millions of other civilizations in the universe? What is so special about Earth? I think the Bible was made up.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hm, probably not.

It may make me question the religious orders of the people of Earth, but it will not make me question my belief in a god.

A creator God, that is.

Like it was said, it would fortify my belief. Contrary to what many people believe, if life was found elsewhere, this does not disprove that a god exists.

-wD

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I believe in God, but I am not a "religious" person. I believe that God created everything, aliens included, so my answer is no. I know that's kind of a lame answer, but I don't see the question requiring a long, complicated, deep answer.

Let me also add that there has to be a reason for life itself. What is it? Why do we exist? These questions that are unanswerable in their nature tell me there's a higher, all-encompassing power.

Peace

[edit on 25-2-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Hm, wait:

Last time I checked, a universe was just that - ONE. So, going by that, there is only one universe.

Until you can prove that we exist in a multiverse, then well, there still is one universe.

-wD

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I believe in God, but I am not a "religious" person. I believe that God created everything, aliens included, so my answer is no. I know that's kind of a lame answer, but I don't see the question requiring a long, complicated, deep answer.

The simplest answers are often the best ones....

It takes complexity to weave a lie...

(man, I sound like a frickin' fortune cookie, what's up with that?)

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq

As I child, I was raised a Catholic. Heaven was 'up', and hell was 'down'. With our advances in the last 30 years, we have been up,and found no heaven. We have drilled miles deep into the Earth, and have found no Hell. This made me start questioning my faith.

I was raised Catholic too, but have spiritual experiences through life that show me that there is more to what is natural than what man knows about. If we worship God, and not religion, then we can allow religion to evolve with our increasing intelligence. Religion is all made by man, not by God. Religion is not God. Also, learn to recognize true spiritual leaders, and those who are capitalizing on our need and quest for God.

If ET's do exist, then wouldn't that wipe out the religious theory of Judaism/Christianty/Islam?

No, but some things are going to have to change. Don't forget that the Catholic Church was in a tizzy when Louis Pasture discovered that germs caused diseases, that it was not the work of "evil demons."

Would the death of Jesus, for the sins of mankind, actually have no bearing in the overall view of the universe? Would beings from other worlds be considered 'evil'or pagan, because they would have no knowledge of Jesus?

All the races know who we call The Son of God. He has been to many worlds to live inside their races. On other worlds he is called by other names.

It kind of is, to some degree, considering everything. It is also part of our history that shows how man thinks and acts about God.

We needed God to live inside of our race with us, in order to teach us. Not all races needed God to be one of them. Some he could just talk to.

Or.... could the ancients of the Middle East, have based God and his teachings on Alien contact/intervention?

The visiting races have always had the problem of humans assuming that anything extraordinary that they witness and can't explain, must be either holy or evil. If it weren't for Earth's leaders gaining so much money and power on public ignorance, they would have started clearing all that up for us a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
To me- no. I don't believe one entity or individual could do all this work alone. Just my belief. Is there a creator? Yes- I do believe in one but not the way the religious texts put it. Some old dude sitting on a throne in the sky giving me whatever I ask for is sooooooooo close to the Santa Claus crap its not even funny.

I wasn't there... /shrug. So I don't know for SURE what happened during the period of creation but I do know that you can't take nothing and make something out of it. You need material and resources and it goes on and on and on. I don't think that any modern day humanoid mind can compute or fathom the beginning of ALL creation. To far of a distance to travel in terms of BILLIONS of years (and here we are in the so-called year 2005).

To.... much... to think... about! Make it... STOP!

I also believe in an Afterlife since I've had visits from my grandparents (via dreams) in times of great stress. Words they spoke beyond the grave came true on both accounts and I wasn't afraid when I awoke the following morning.

But ETs (as you put it) would put another notch in my belt when it comes to the belief of intelligent life existing somewhere else in the universe besides this blue marble. God does exist (in many forms across this world and on many other worlds).

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sickaluph
I don't think there is such thing as God. Why would he put his "son" here on Earth when there are probably millions of other civilizations in the universe? What is so special about Earth? I think the Bible was made up.

And what is so special about other planets? Maybe there are scenarios like ours playing out in other galaxies and planets as well and they have their own Jesus of a sort. I think God is real and if proof of ET's came to light it would definitely make my beliefs even stronger.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think religious fundamentalists and other fanatics would be the only ones that would have their religion "rocked" by the discovery of ET.

Can't wait until that day happens.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
No because I don't believe in God. Its hard to say how others would react.

I think people would still hold on to their faith. There might be some who question it more or drop it all together. I think religion is here to stay.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   
the only reason we hav the word GOD is cause its english... from 3 german words actually which stand for beauty strength and wisdom... gumer oz dubar ? (spelt wrong no doubt sori) the word god isnt the word we wana use anymore its just suckin our energies into the wrong name ... watever ur belief it dont matter cause words have a vibration -- religion and prayer is dangerous! voodoo! be careful who u pray to.

and jus cause theres a sh*t load of aliens it dont mean theres no god. cause each one of those aliens, if millions of years more advanced than us.. IS A GOD.

and THE ALL is what u shud say wen u say god! THE ALL will provide and deny, it answers ur prayers and nitemares, it has no bias, no heart, no care for u, it just IS and IT DOES.,,, we are all in THE ALL and ALL is in us, with many little gods takin the p*ss all over the universe. cause GOD is just a term for someone whos in control.. like BUSH is a god in that sense.
well he wud be if he wasnt a puppet on an illuminati string..........

El Khuluwmn (THE ALL)

[edit on 053131p://43035 by info_junkee]

top topics

join