It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to help my UK Instagram friend?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hi all,
How can I help my UK Instagram friend who struggles with mental illness and recently tried to overdose and kill herself? Because I care about her and would be devastated if she killed herself because she's a good friend.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
1. Be exactly that, her friend. Be available and be helpful when possible. Check in on her and let her know she is not alone and cared about. It doesn't have to be in an obvious way. Maybe just tag her in something she likes on Instagram.

2. Do you know where she lives exactly in the UK? Maybe you can find resources close to her. Groups, hotlines?

3. Does she have any friends or family that you know? Being able to know someone close to her could help if she is in a depressive state.

4. Take them seriously. Listen to whatever their issues are big or small. Don't belittle their issues. Try to help.

I.E. "No care cares about me and I feel alone." "Of course people care about you" instead try things like "I care about you." "Why do you feel alone?" "When do you feel most alone?" asking open ended questions may bring up solutions. Or at least things you can brainstorm over.
edit on 16-11-2018 by headorheart because: spelling

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: headorheart

I can add absolutely nothing to your post.

Because it's perfect.

Bravo!

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Give her this link www.samaritans.org...

The Samaritans are there 24 hours a day to assist people at their lowest.

Hope it ends well.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Conspiracyskeptic

People who try to kill themselves generally aren't trying to kill themselves , people who want to kill themselves kill themselves.
Life has taught me this lesson.

Be the best friend you can but she probably needs professional help.

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I agree with Lumenari that headorheart's advice is a perfect approach to the situation.

This lady IS important, and any feelings of worthlessness are unwarranted because there ARE people who care about her - conspiracyskeptic for one. And being specific about the people who care is vital advice rather than a sweeping generalisation.

I'm sure there are many people in this forum who care, too, despite not knowing her at all. Myself included.

PS: And yes, continued professional assistance is equally important.

edit on 16-11-2018 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I am So sorry to hear that. She is a young person? If she is still with us, i would very much like to try and help her. Although of course i do not judge anyone trying for an earlier get-away from this disgusting planet. But i have daughters in the 20-30 yo year range - mayhap i could help?

posted on Nov, 16 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Jasona

She's 19 years old four years younger than me and lives with her family who are very supportive of her and 2-3 weeks ago she was home alone and her family's house was broken into through the back door by two criminals and one of the perpetrators restrained and held his hand over her mouth while his co-perpetrator stole stuff from the house including a car.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   
There’s some helpful advice in here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Some girls like to play manipulative games around threatening self harm and feel good when they see someone is concerned and asks them not to. Just saying, have you considered if she's being genuine?

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Encourage her to contact the Samaritans, who save lives and give hope every day and night. My friends mother is a Samaritan and deserves a medal for what she quietly does.

Samaritans

Edit to add that I see Samaritans has already been signposted a couple of replies above at www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 17/11/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   

You can't help those who don't want to help themselves, however seen as she's suicidal the only true help you can give her is to forward proof of the suicide attempts / desires to the cat team equivalent in the uk and have her involuntarily admitted to a psyc ward where she will recieve medicine to re-chemically balance her brain providing a chance for her to re-evaluate her position and current choices.
She will probably hate you for this initially but after roughly 6 weeks of treatment she will be showering you with gratitude.

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Is it just since the robbery that she has had suicidal thoughts?

posted on Nov, 17 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ALSTA

I do not think she requires chemicals to 'rebalance her brain'….... it sounds like she is suffering from post traumatic stress.
Talking therapy would help......
edit on 17-11-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   

top topics

join