It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children Forced to Marry Dogs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Now, I understand it's a vast world with many different cultures and practices.....but for cryin' out loud....

"The human brides & grooms- aged between 1 and 3 yrs– were forced into the unique union after their first tooth came out in the upper jaw which is considered “inauspicious” for the child and their family, necessitating the kukur vibaha or dog marriage"

www.news.com.au...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The way they wrote it in the article made it seem very harmless and actually quite cute. I can imagagine a little infant and a 'puppy' not dog, walking down a dirt lane with festive costumes on and everyone happy. Just another reason to celebrate life. Is there anything bad about this? I can't find anything.[

quote]Originally posted by LadyV
Now, I understand it's a vast world with many different cultures and practices.....but for cryin' out loud....

"The human brides & grooms- aged between 1 and 3 yrs– were forced into the unique union after their first tooth came out in the upper jaw which is considered “inauspicious” for the child and their family, necessitating the kukur vibaha or dog marriage"

www.news.com.au...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

OOPS Is there anything bad about this? I can't find anything

I was refering to the
"unique union after their first tooth came out in the upper jaw which is considered “inauspicious” for the child and their family,"

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   
ahh... I see. So if they tooth comes out from the top first the child is kinda cursed so they have to marry a dog? Is that it? I don't know if I understand, I thought I did but I don't.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

www.news.com.au...

Hi Vlady...

This is a ceremony and symbolizes long life and happiness.

There is no abuse or any badness about this at all. The child is not harmed in any way and it is purely a ritual based on tradition.

i think people see child abuse everywhere they look these days and that saddens me greatly as I am a happy farther of an 8 week old little angel, but for some people if they saw me holding my sweet little one in my arms in the street, they would immediately think child abuse rather than looking at the natural truth of a fathers love for his daughter.

Neon.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze

Hi Vlady...

This is a ceremony and symbolizes long life and happiness.

There is no abuse or any badness about this at all. The child is not harmed in any way and it is purely a ritual based on tradition.

Ummmm, I didn't think there was anything "bad" about it.......but I did think that having a tooth come in the wrong place first.....is a bit, "old", but "as I stated" different cultures.....

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon HazeI am a happy farther of an 8 week old little angel, but for some people if they saw me holding my sweet little one in my arms in the street, they would immediately think child abuse rather than looking at the natural truth of a fathers love for his daughter.

Neon.

That's one great reason I love to live in China, People can be closer to children especially males without the demonization of child molestation and abuse...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I wonder what the honeymoon was like....

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Sounds like their marriage has gone to the dogs....

So, who sleeps in the doghouse?

I suppose they do it "doggy" style?

Does the husband work like a dog?

*Listens to the groans....*

Ok, I suppose that's quite enough of that...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Unless they had to consumate the marriage at nay point in time, I have no worries for this....
The Dog will die about the time thy are ready for a human-human marriage.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon HazeThere is no abuse or any badness about this at all.

Well, outside of it being completely insane to think a person is stigmatized for such a ridiculous reason. But if irrationality is good, and most people seem to think so these days, then i guess its ok.

I bet when he comes home and dinner isn't ready he gets howling mad.

Even rabid.

I have no worries for this....

Sure, they're just humiliating kids by having them married to animals and carrying around that 'tooth stigma' all their lives, no big deal, perfectly normal.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Hmmm..while its not BAD, its bizarre...
I think i'd be psychologically scarred for life...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If you want to talk about weird cultural traditions, I heard about this one culture where they take the baby teeth as they fall out and the child is forced to sleep with their heads on the lost tooth at night. Supposedly that night as the child is sleeping, a “Magic Being” enters the room and STEALS THE TOOTH!!! What this creature wants with the tooth is beyond me, but according to the tradition, the magic being also leaves a small token payment for the tooth. This token payment is nowhere near the going rate for dental work today.

How weird is that?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Nygdan and Gazrok, I don't want to be the one hounding you for your puns, but I hear a lot of mutt-ering in the background that the two of you seem to be able to get away with a lot more than most of us.

Now I know that you've been trying, with dogged determination, to improve the quality of this board; indeed, you've both been cur-ageous in doing so.

Nonetheless, I feel it only fair to warn you that a lot of folks here see that your some of your posts have gone the the shih-tzu know what I mean?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
well, one thing's for sure, the tradition doesn't stand a chance of taking hold in the US....
half the kids living here are living in massive apartment complexes that don't allow such things as dogs or cats in them....
so, if such a thing were to talk place here, I could see kids literally pulling their first teeth out, just so that can have the puppy!!

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Nygdan and Gazrok, I don't want to be the one hounding you for your puns, but I hear a lot of mutt-ering in the background that the two of you seem to be able to get away with a lot more than most of us.

Now I know that you've been trying, with dogged determination, to improve the quality of this board; indeed, you've both been cur-ageous in doing so.

Nonetheless, I feel it only fair to warn you that a lot of folks here see that your some of your posts have gone the the shih-tzu know what I mean?

OTS, why are you doggin' me like that man?
Ok, last pun, seriously....

Very well done though, hehe....

*tips his hat to OTS...*

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Sounds like their marriage has gone to the dogs....

So, who sleeps in the doghouse?

I suppose they do it "doggy" style?

*Listens to the groans....*

Ok, I suppose that's quite enough of that...

Will you be here all week?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This is intersting. I dont see anything wrong or bad about this. What I do see wrong tho is the way the article subtly tries to bring someting perverse into it.

I wonder if the word 'union' or 'marriage', which I feel in the dominant culture means a sexual relationship included with all other aspects, is there to color the actual tradition. The last line of the article says "the marriages were solemnised with puppies of the opposite sex, the report said."

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Coming from an Indian background, I don't think there is anything wrong with it, other than being idiotic in nature and utterly superstitious, nothing else is wrong.

I have never personally seen this, but have heard of men marrying donkeys, in order to get rain, but dogs?

In India, dogs gets very low respect. But then again, there are many belief systems in India.

Surf

top topics

join