It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supervisors and Managers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Why get into a position of responsibility and authority...if you're just going to be an assjerk!

Yeah screw the employees trying to get stuff done. As long as that salary keeps pumping into your account, right?

If you're a manager or a supervisor your job is to help your team do their jobs better. You're there to offer your help, experience, and guidance. What is the freaking point of taking an 'every man for himself' attitude if you're going to be a 'boss.'

Really? Like really?!

If you're ambivalent, annoyed, hostile, condescending, then gtfo and go find a position you can actually handle because these are NOT the qualities of a good leader.

edit on 9-11-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: I bet anything someone makes this about Trump

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

My manager was pretty great...except he's been gone for months now and nobody knows what's going on or where he is. He was back for a bit then vanished again. The owner doesn't even know what's going on and they're related....apparently he's just stopped answering his phone but i see him online sometimes and such and apparently he's always on instagram. We're starting to wonder if he's horribly ill or something...

He actually did really well at keeping things together at work. It's been kinda going to # lately....

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Oops
edit on 9/11/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Yes good management is hard to find in any job. I was a supervisor once and I know it can be hell trying to rally a team together to meet a goal. But never once did I act like a jerk, or try to make anyone feel incompetent.

Part of leading is drawing out the strengths of people, learning their weaknesses, and choosing how to delegate with what you have.

I certainly never had a bad attitude towards anyone that was legit trying.

Having said that, I don't think I'd want to be a supervisor again. I just know I'd make a better one

edit on 9-11-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

You know it sounds pretty cliche about leaders making great leaders but, I read that years ago and try to follow it.

I try to mentor and guide along with any time that I need to counsel and discipline. It has worked well for me as I am someone that many staff people come to for advice and guidance.

The key, when having to correct someone IMO, is not being a dick about it but, rather using that moment to bridge the divide and show someone why their actions were not correct. It's all a learning process but, I started where I am as "one of them" and they respect that. Also, I am always honest with folks.

Of course, you and I have different careers but, basics are the same I think.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

One of the main reasons I ended up leaving my last job after 4 years is because of the new manager that took over about 4 months before I left. He basically hides and plays on his phone all day except on the rare occasions when one of his superiors from regional or from home office shows up and if they have any complaints he dodges blame by throwing middle management under the bus and takes credit for all things good even though the bad things are because of him not doing his job and the good things are despite that fact. Apparently I started an avalanche because shortly after I left others started leaving in droves.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I have had both bad and great bosses and supervisors. The ones who ask us personally how they could make our jobs easier for us, who listened to our opinions and ideas, got more productivity and quality. Respect and compassion go a long way. One company, we as workers ended up saving the company thousands of dollars. That is because they made us part of a team where our input was greatly appreciated and they implied our thoughts and ideas into operation.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Yep. That's exactly what I'm talking about. Bundled up in some office. Scheduled 90 minute lunch every day, shopping online or managing fantasy football on the clock.

And then they flip out when someone asks them for help. "I'm too busy! Bleh bleh bleh!"

Scum. of. the. Earth.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
A decent manager supports his group. With good support, the team tends to manage itself.
It creates an excellent work environment, where people realize their strengths and weaknesses.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
For a short time I worked for a family owned printing company. The mom and dad were the owners which meant that their "blessed" son was the printing dept manager and the "blessed" daughter was in charge of sales. Nothing is worse than putting people in charge of anything without any managerial or work experience. It wasn't a fun place to be.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Don't forget about the good old boys club. If you're not a member don't expect to go anywhere. They are constantly in meetings also.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Companies don't hire managers, to be friendly, or kind with the employees.

Corporations are psychopathic, and they need managers that will be heartless, like them.

Those are the types of managers, being hired nowadays.

Don't have anything nice to say, about the types of people that are interested in being managers and supervisors.

(TNM would be an exception, of course!)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Yeah I get ya. I know it's a cutthroat corporate world now.

But isn't it counterproductive to have a revolving door of employees coming and going?

Why not just solve the problems head on and get sheet done?

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Why get into a position of responsibility and authority...if you're just going to be an assjerk!

Yeah screw the employees trying to get stuff done. As long as that salary keeps pumping into your account, right?

If you're a manager or a supervisor your job is to help your team do their jobs better. You're there to offer your help, experience, and guidance. What is the freaking point of taking an 'every man for himself' attitude if you're going to be a 'boss.'

Really? Like really?!

If you're ambivalent, annoyed, hostile, condescending, then gtfo and go find a position you can actually handle because these are NOT the qualities of a good leader.

Last year i was working for a bit at a small store, there were like 3 people and i was at the register and this one girl was helping clients around, she was very friendly and nice and she liked to do that and talk to them and even if she wasn't earning well she liked her job

So one day the manager was around and he listened while we talked about this and why she didn't want to exchange positions and she very clearly said she would hate to work the register. Next day she was assigned to it, and she was miserable and the guy kept coming around to look at her almost above her shoulder, just to see if she was doing ok or not.

He said it was "to make her improve her personality and challenge her" but i think it was just the pleasure of seeing her miserable all day and in constant pressure because he would just stand there looking at her

It created a toxic thing and eventually everyone quit, i don't know what happened to that place as i moved away but i think it probably is no longer around, because who would work like that or attend to customers in a nice way if you are all fed up and depressed and even angry?

I feel like these people enjoy making other people suffer and that's how they get some relief for the own pains

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I have seen many examples of terrible management.

People who get favoured for promotion are many times from what I have directly seen and collaborated by views of were no good on tools or anything else for that matter.

Them types early on recognise their lack off talent and so major ass kissing. Some of them get luckily hand picked for promotion to management. The manager who promotes them was just like them back in the day was elevated same way.

Problem stems from the guilt of knowing their true talent is none and so they look to find fault in them who are truly capable. It is as if some vain hope of resolving that guilt. After a while they develop a narcissist towards certain individuals who for whatever reason that stirs their guilt or envy.

Terrible management has a tendancy to survive for as long as them above them are willing to overlook the problem. Since the true role of middle management is to keep employees from communicating directly with upper senior management as long as the middle managers are ticking that box the issue goes overlooked.

Reform programs if managed correctly can sort this out with varying degrees of success mainly dependant on how well its feedback loop for continuous improvement is set up and managed. Not an unsolvable problem if acknowledged faced and confronted from the top.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
So many hourly just want to bitch, bitch, bitch to suck every perk they can out of their supers. I can't blame some supers for treating hourly with a certain amount of distance??? There is an invisible barrier between the 2. Super's first loyalties are to the co...

Edit: Been on both sides of that fence...
edit on 9-11-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Maybe your lack of integrity or talking back has rubbed your managers the wrong way. There's probably something you are doing that you are completely unaware of that is driving your managers crazy. A skunk can't smell his own stink.

edit on 9-11-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: Nothin

Yeah I get ya. I know it's a cutthroat corporate world now.

But isn't it counterproductive to have a revolving door of employees coming and going?

Why not just solve the problems head on and get sheet done?

They don't have the same priorities, that employees do.

Company 'mottoes', and 'mission-statements', just pay lip-service, and that's it.
Just like a psychopath's greasy smile, as they try to manipulate you into doing what they want.

The only thing that counts is the bottom line.

They rotate the managers every 18-24 months, for various purposes. Not the least of which is that they don't want the managers getting too chummy with the help.

These are the corps, that are heavily influencing, if not dictating, government policies.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Maybe your lack of integrity or talking back has rubbed your managers the wrong way. There's probably something you are doing that you are completely unaware of that is driving your managers crazy. A skunk can't smell his own stink.

Maaaaaan you make a lot of assumptions in that post. Awesome

FYI I work alone and haven't talked to my supervisor in like 2 months.

This thread is not about me. This thread is about A-holes in management/supervisor positions.

I think the good lord everyday I don't have to deal with that sheet anymore.

posted on Nov, 9 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I work for a small company, I always stick to small companies.
I'm my own manager, if I screw up, it's on me.

Don't know what it's like to have someone looking over my shoulder.
Also don't think we can spare the time or energy checking up on each other.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join