It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran girl gets 100 lashes for sex

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   

A teenage girl and two young men in Iran have been sentenced to lashes for having sex.
The court dismissed the girl's claim that she was raped. It said she had sex of her own free will, the official Iran Daily newspaper reported.

The girl was sentenced to 100 lashes because her accusations of rape and kidnap could have landed her partners a death penalty, the Tehran judge said.

Sex outside marriage is illegal in Iran and capital punishment can be imposed.

The young men in the case were sentenced to 30 and 40 lashes each.

Rights violations

The Iran paper quotes the girl, who has not been named, as confessing: "I trusted one of these young men, whom I got to know by phone, and went to his place.

"But because he betrayed me, I filed the case against him and his friend out of revenge."

International concerns continue to be raised about women's rights in Iran.

In December the UN General Assembly voted to censure Iran for human rights violations, including discrimination against women and girls.

Tehran rejected the criticism as propaganda.

news.bbc.co.uk...

More "religion" of peace at work. The very last paragraph say it all.

"Under Iranian law, girls over the age of nine and boys over 16 face the death penalty for crimes such as rape and murder, while capital punishment can be imposed in certain cases of illegal sexual relationships."

And Amnestiy International calls the US "barberic"?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
good example of human rights abuse, and of course sexual discrimination. a sickening injustice- but let's not begin the 'war' argument. or force democracy.

this is a culture and society which has strived and succeeded to remain unchanged for hundreds of years. a society ruled by the few powerful religious or rich men. whether it will ever change, is up to its people, or as democracy sees it, the majority of its people. If a court can rightfully rule against a woman, who was raped, and punish her more than her assailants, then cleary something is wrong.

is it our place to intervene? every man woman and child has certain rights. when these rights are trampled on, there are many who stand by idly and watch, and a select few who choose to act.

whether peacefully or violently, through foreign influence, or from internal pressures, the middle east and its way of life for its many people will change . this is inevitable. culture shock will see backlash, but overtime, everyone will assimilate to the western view. a nation which paints ignorance as ideals called: truth and justice for all, cannot be stopped.
of course we could all build a wall, stockpile weapons for 50 years, then watch that wall crumble, and dissolve into feuding regions.

love it or hate it, 'freedom' is better than being whipped half-to-death.

edit: see below for humorous personal attacks, and a complete deterioration of the thread. oh lol i love free speech.

[edit on 25/2/05 by painkiller]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
So knowing that the punishment for rape was death, she sort to lie and get these men killed? 100 lashes doesn't sound to bad for attempted murder. You have a great way of missing key points and taking things out of context. She wasn't lashed for just the sex, it was also attempted murder was it not?

Yet another classic hate post from your good self. And for someone who has just suggested shooting all illegals on "site", it suprises me you don't agree with her punishment.

I do not agree with any form of physical punishment, but thats just me. Laws are laws as you would likely say. DOn't break em, don't get punished? I think I have heard that from you more than once.

Tiresome.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Yeah, well some cultures are slower than others.

What about lynchings in America of black men accused of touching or staring at white women.

What about the mother that killed her 13 year daughter for having sex, she mader her drink bleach and sat on her chest while she died.

There are people with problems in their heads all over the world.

The U.S. government did nothing about lynchings it was the freedom fighters that brought it to light and pressured society to stop.

So Iran is not as fast, but just remember over forty years ago white people were dragging the bodies of black men behind pickuptrucks strung on a rope driving to the tree where they'll hang him up.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Yet another classic hate post from your good self. And for someone who has just suggested shooting all illegals on "site", it suprises me you don't agree with her punishment.

Tiresome.

Thank you, everytime the "liberal left" calls me a"hater" it just shows their own "hate". I am glad you find it "tiresome" that a young girl can get 100 lashes for anything. Ever had "lashes" their "bucko"? She never said she "wasn't raped. As usual in a muslim controled state the woman gets abused.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Originally posted by Kriz_4

Tiresome.

Thank you, everytime the "liberal left" calls me a"hater" it just shows their own "hate". I am glad you find it "tiresome" that a young girl can get 100 lashes for anything. Ever had "lashes" their "bucko"? She never said she "wasn't raped. As usual in a muslim controled state the woman gets abused.

First I am not a "liberal", so do not try to get me involved in your pathetic political rubbish you give as an answer to everything.

Lashes for just anything? She was lashed for attempted murder, get it?

"But because he betrayed me, I filed the case against him and his friend out of revenge."

The men also got lashed, did they not. Courts decided she was not raped and her statement says she filed out of revenge for betrayal not rape. Courts decide the same things in every country.

[edit on 25-2-2005 by Kriz_4]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I know as a society we like to downplay these incidents as one person in a foreign country that we're not involved in it, but guess what. You are involved! You are a part of humanity. Speaking of amnesty, there is a lot of stuff like this going on daily. Iran is on the hit-list for child execution and Sudan is having a really hard time, check it out:

www.amnesty.org...

Think not that our dear ole country is innocent either, though I think for the most part we do fairly well with inherent freedoms.

But DrHoracid, what does this have to do with religion?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I know as a society we like to downplay these incidents as one person in a foreign country that we're not involved in it, but guess what. You are involved! You are a part of humanity. Speaking of amnesty, there is a lot of stuff like this going on daily. Iran is on the hit-list for child execution and Sudan is having a really hard time, check it out:

www.amnesty.org...

Think not that our dear ole country is innocent either, though I think for the most part we do fairly well with inherent freedoms.

But DrHoracid, what does this have to do with religion?

Iran is an Islamic controlled state. Islam is notoriouis for treating women poorly. I find it an interesting coincidence that the "girl" got over twice as many lashes as the boys did. I think she was raped..........but in an Islamic society she has little recourse for juctice. She chose life and 100 lashes over death. There is much data on Islamic abuse of women.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
this is there way so who are we to say it is wrong. unless you can turn yourself into an iranian baby and live their life and customs people have no say into whether it is right or wrong. other nations that do not agree say it is a "human rights issue". it is their issue and they should be free to deal with it the way they want. they have no right to tell us that a woman should be put to death for sex outside of marriage just as we have no right to tell them they can't put a woman to death for the same "crime".

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
She stated, "I filed the case against him and his friend out of revenge."

Not because she was violated, not because her rights were violated, etc.

While I disagree with the idea of "lashes" as punishment, in this case maybe she deserved them...
Her accusations could have gotten those men killed.

We're also on the outside of this. You yourself stated the courts determined she wasn't raped, so she got the 100 lashes for making a false accusation, not having sex.

I'll agree with the abuse of women's rights in Islamic states. Heck, I lived in one for a few years (Saudi) and I've seen it for myself. There are far better examples to illustrate this than this one...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Of course you assume she was raped, you have an agenda to pursue.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
She stated, "I filed the case against him and his friend out of revenge."

Not because she was violated, not because her rights were violated, etc.

While I disagree with the idea of "lashes" as punishment, in this case maybe she deserved them...
Her accusations could have gotten those men killed.

We're also on the outside of this. You yourself stated the courts determined she wasn't raped, so she got the 100 lashes for making a false accusation, not having sex.

I'll agree with the abuse of women's rights in Islamic states. Heck, I lived in one for a few years (Saudi) and I've seen it for myself. There are far better examples to illustrate this than this one...

So having lived in Saudi, you trust that the mullah that sat on the bench gave this "woman" a fair trial? Iran isn't America, and their view of "juctise" isn't the same. I believe her first statement, not after the "islamic" court got done with her.......

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I think she was raped..........but in an Islamic society she has little recourse for juctice. She chose life and 100 lashes over death. There is much data on Islamic abuse of women.

I'd heard of cruelty in Islamic countries from one who lived there half his life but he seems to think it has more about power and control in a misogynistic government & houseolds than the religion of Islam. If you're saying it's an effect then maybe there's a case if somebody knows some of Quran where this relates. I have doubts though that Islam is the cause though I'm open to having my mind changed.

[edit on 25-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

I think she was raped..........but in an Islamic society she has little recourse for juctice. She chose life and 100 lashes over death. There is much data on Islamic abuse of women.

I'd heard of cruelty in Islamic countries from one who lived there half his life but he seems to think it has more about power and control in a misogynistic government & houseolds than the religion of Islam. If you're saying it's an effect then maybe there's a case if somebody knows some of Quran where this relates. I have doubts though that Islam is the cause though I'm open to having my mind changed.

[edit on 25-2-2005 by saint4God]

Heres an example.....

Iranian women are commonly university-educated; women drive, hold down careers, vote in droves and are often as strong-minded as Sherkat herself.

Thus, Sherkat has a mature audience for the monthly publication she founded in 1991 out of frustration that mainstream journalism was ignoring serious discussion of women's rights in Iran. With only a staff of five, Sherkat's magazine turns a spotlight on the plight of women in prison, the unequal treatment of women under Iranian law, the difficulties women face in obtaining divorces and even the sexist statements of male parliamentarians.

"I keep careful track of all the unfair things legislators say about women," Sherkat said in an interview several years ago at a U.S. conference for Iranian and U.S. journalists. "And then, when they run for office, I publish all the quotes alongside their pictures so women will know not to vote for them."

Recently, however, Iranian courts have moved to silence this woman. Last month a judge sentenced Sherkat to four months in prison and a fine amounting to $3,000--an astronomical figure in a country where $20 a day is considered an upper-class wage.

Her crime? Last April, Sherkat attended a conference in Berlin on the future of political change in Iran after reformists won a parliamentary election. The charge was anti-Islamic propaganda.

www.womensenews.org...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
if it is "normal" in Iran, it is normal so leave them alone...

why judge another culture by your own standards???

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
if it is "normal" in Iran, it is normal so leave them alone...

why judge another culture by your own standards???

Define "normal" for Iran. The mullahs in charge are even Iranian they are arabs that took control in 1979. So it was "normal" for Hitler to send Jews to the camps? Poor logic there dude............

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Define "normal" for Iran. The mullahs in charge are even Iranian they are arabs that took control in 1979. So it was "normal" for Hitler to send Jews to the camps? Poor logic there dude............

dude???

anyway, i don't know the "normal" for iran because i live in america...

but it is HORRIBLE to judge ANOTHER culture by your OWN standards...

until there is a wordly "good" and "bad", we all should have our own rules...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
That photo has nothing to do with the current case by the way, its from well before it.

The rule of koranical law is horrible and woudl be as violent and oppressive as talmudical and biblical law. The 'rule of the book' should be opposed everywhere, and iran and some of the lawless regions of the greater arab dominion are as good a place as any to start.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
That photo has nothing to do with the current case by the way, its from well before it.

The rule of koranical law is horrible and woudl be as violent and oppressive as talmudical and biblical law. The 'rule of the book' should be opposed everywhere, and iran and some of the lawless regions of the greater arab dominion are as good a place as any to start.

personally i would start in Saudi......

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
On the other hand the US could start with open liberal democratic societies that are experiencing an rise in bookish fundamentalism. Containment, rather than rollback for the moment.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join