It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing advice needed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
First things first,
This isn’t a short story.
It’s me asking you gurus for advice on how to write one.

I have got the writers bug. For the past week or so I have been writing away in my note book.

Im attempting to write survival horror/apocalypse (ya I know not to original. But it’s a topic that interests me)
I’ve noticed I’ve gone from writing in first person, to third in places. Sometimes I get to hung up on detail...

I didn’t write out a timeline or a structure of what I want to write about. I just started writing a story and have run with it.

So I ask you pros for some tips.
Should I write out a structure plan?
Is there any sites or advice you can offer on how to write good horror, or things to avoid?
Any and advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated
Thanks all!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Well Mac, what do you like about writing?

Do you like telling a story and developing the characters and have some sort of goal for them to reach?

Maybe you prefer to just 'see where it goes' when it comes to the story. No goal, just let it come to you.

Or perhaps you just like the solace of pen and paper? Not really much on the story but the action.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I’m thinking I’d like to do this story over but solely in POV.

I know it’s been done millions of times, but the story I’m writing is about a biological terrorist attack.
With money being used to pass the virus around rapidly.
The virus turns 9 out of 10 people into the infected. The uninfected are naturally immune.
The infected become sort of zombie like. Mindless killing machines, but not dead, they don’t eat the people. They just want to kill them. Like the rage virus from 28 days later.
They can run, don’t get tired, but are just as fragile as any other person.
They don’t feel pain, so they don’t stop when injured.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
They probably could climb, but they don’t.
If your trapped in a tree or on a roof, they will circle around or gather at the base of the tree waiting for the person to come down. But they won’t try to go up after them.
If there’s stairs that’s free game. They will use them.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

So you have a premise and an endgame. You have the style (POV), and a narration. You've even set out rules and a world which they exist.

So I guess what is the issue?

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Starting is usually easy. It is how to stop that is a hard decision to make.

Each writing style is different. As long as the story flows staying first-person or skipping about should not be of concern.

One way to cope is think of it not as a story but as a narrative. How much detail do you need? How does the narrative progress? What points do want to stress?

A good trick: write your ending first!

Then everything that goes on, is a step towards that ending. I did that with the black goo end of the world story. And something weird happened, the story of being the last human on earth became a cautionary tale of secret technology. I was not expecting that! Humans sending secret quantum communications to keep any alien technology to themselves actually alerted those aliens to our presence causing them to scour humanity off the face of the earth.

Don't get tied down with trying to be 100% correct. Writing, like any sport, requires training which means getting it wrong sometimes. Keep on trying. Be yourself. Don't be afraid to be wrong or fail.

Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth. -attributed to Mark Twain but Abraham Lincoln told me not to believe everything I see on the internet!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
When I use to write, I would do it from the perspective of the narrator , Creating characters and scenarios, basically painting a mental picture from the words you write. I would be involved in the scene, describing in some kind detail, be it colorful and informative to just dialog.

Mine would usually involve an alien environment fantasy sort of thing with a woman I was with or protecting. Usually turned a little provocative and sexy.

Good luck !

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
since this is your big idea, don't get caught up in anything like worrying about your style or the niceties of writing yet. Just keep making notes, adding details, fleshing out characters, locations and events.

While you are doing all that, have a go at writing within rules....Sort of like the story comps here which give you a theme.
You could say, do 10 flash fictions of 100 words each.

Do a whole story in first person, in third person, in present tense, in past tense.

It's this practice that will help you get the hang of writing in the style you want to without having to think so hard about it that it detracts from telling your story.

Finally, have fun with it.

edit on 04pWed, 07 Nov 2018 18:50:04 -060020182018-11-07T18:50:04-06:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It's good that you have an idea of what to write. I'll say you put everything down in writing every time it floods your working mind, then afterwards take your time to refix the story and see how it turns out. You could make out several corresponding parts & scenes from just one perfect write-up.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Urm... as to my advice, I'd say "don't" but that's just because I'm sick to death of zombies!

Writing is hard for most, easy for some and impossible when no media is available. .. so the real advice is have plenty of digital memory and/or pen and paper.

Also, a good editor is the best thing ever ... barring that, let the story sit for a few weeks then go back and read it like someone else wrote it ... glaring mistakes can surface when it's removed from in your head and looked at objectively.

Heck, take a creative writing class at the local community college... some deadbeat has to eat!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Hmm this is good stuff.

I’ve been hung up on trying to be a perfectionist.
Trying my hardest not to repeat words, attempting to go into to much detail I’ve noticed.

@jinmi I guess your right. Maybe I’m looking too deep into it.
Writing should be something you enjoy right?
Not holding yourself up until you get flustered.

@teot I never considered writing the ending first. But to be honest, I’ve just been going with what ever comes to mind. I have no idea how this is going to end.

@groot maybe I’ll turn my apoc horror into an erotic back drop for 2 young lover trying to survive in a world gone mad lol jk

@sprocket ya, i haven’t done any writing in a long time. I used to do poetry when I was young. But I’m long out of those teen angst days lol.
I sort of got an idea in my head and just started writing. Before I knew it I had 10 pages scribbled down.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help here

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I too get stuck on repeating words. A little tip in that regard is just to keep on plowing with your story. You can go back and change around adjectives to suite the narrative.

When it flows, let it flow and try not to let the little things hold you up!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Just an example of one of my very short stories. Not anything to brag about, just one of my first attempts..

Dropping us off in unfamiliar surroundings,my feelings are strong that this is just not right.
We should not be here, clearing out a species to make room for us. It's their world,not ours to take over.
There are plenty of planets to make our own, why this one?
I question those above me, only to be dismissed as just being a simple fool.

Yes , simple fool.

We have a long history, our ancient civilization, of destroying and conquering.
Is it not enough that we have done it to our own world that we must venture out into the cosmos,seeking out other worlds to do but only the same?

As I search out the area I was assigned to, I come upon a camp which seems empty at first.
But the coals in the fire are still warm as I wave my sensors above it.
Moving slowly, I detect a sound off to the side of me.
Looking deep into the darkness , I see a small human child,scared and frightened.
As something in my heart reaches deep inside me, remembering my own children back on my home planet, I lower my weapon and kneel down to see this child.
As I do, the memories of my childhood come flooding back inside me when I was once so frightened.

Remembering the briefing on this species, I try to mimic a smile, but ,seeing in her eyes, she seems repulsed by my appearance.
I can understand her fear ,as I have felt it before.
Laying my weapon and sensors down, I bow down to her and motion for her to come forward.
Using my translator,I tell her that it is safe, that I will not harm her.
As she comes to me in a cautiously slow move, I hear behind me one of my comrades come rushing in shouting.
Retrieving my weapon,rising up quickly and turning around to face him I tell him to stop.
Leave this one alone, I tell him.
But our mission is to eradicate them all, he shouts as he aims his weapon at the child.
In an instant, without thinking, I shoot and kill him.
I look back at the human child, who has coward behind a rock and is safe,for now.
Stunned, I look upon my comrade, who I had just killed.
And my only thoughts are I saved a child and why are we even here......

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

I like it!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
My stories are usually in the form of screenplays. Thus the characters are the prime movers for the action.

Once my Characters are well established in my mind and on 3x5 chards. They write the action for me. I'm just along for the ride.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Hey, man, go with the flow, let the words come out without thinking. Let the story develop in your mind and let it flow out. Just relax.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

write what and how you feel....USE AN OUTLINE...no matter how basic.

And it's ok to write 1st, 2nd and 3rd person...even skipping around. It's ok. It defines your style...just try to keep it flowing...don't let it get confusing.

Good luck
MS
Published Author
3 novels, 1 Biography of a R n R star
70 + blogs
1 children's fairy tale

YOU GO FOR IT! Best of luck...maybe have a good friend read it as you go to help?!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I managed to smash out 5 pages tonight. Lots of crossed out stuff, but 4 pages filled.
Hell the only reason why I stopped is because of how late it is and I need to be up at 5 am for work.
Wish I could just sit and write all night long.
But there’s drone missions to be flown tomorrow, so need my snooze time.
Thanks again everyone and good night.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Excellent!

Work = flying a drone? I hate you, g'night!

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Write the ending to the story first.

Create characters that write the story themselves.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join