It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing advice needed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I just write!

Some people like an outline, some like much more planning. Some just write.

Do what works for you.

To be a better writer, you need to read lots. Not just read the story, after having the fun of reading a great story, go back through the book and see how the Author wrote.

We are all different.

See my sig line if credentials mean anything to you.

I love first person, although it has challenges especially when the story teller is unconscious, lol.

P

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Lots of good advice here.

I guess I'll chime in. I like writing.

My number one rule is to be available to ideas. I always have paper and a pen handy. When they come, I dutifully jot them down. Many times the ideas I'm catching lack context until some later time and many times they are silly little couplets. (My signature, below this post, is one such catch.) Sometimes they wind up getting used in stuff; sometimes they don't.

My number two rule is to "just do it". I am a terrible procrastinator. Instead of writing, I'll: go get coffee; stay in bed watching x-files; learn how to replace bicycle brakes; read political bickering threads at ATS. It's because I'm afraid of the horrific failure of bad writing or worse, writing nothing. So, lot's of internal coaching going on, but the bedrock idea in that coaching is "don't be a pussy, go write".

As far as the technical aspect of writing, I'm pretty much happy to discover that on my own at a pace that is (probably not by coincident) directly related to how faithful I am in observing rules number one and two. A writer named Ron Carlson says that you only really learn the writing process from inside the writing process.

I take that to mean that a) nobody can teach anyone how to write a story, in a sense, and b) the only thing holding me back is me.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yup! I love it.

Im on LinkedIn. Its the only social media I have, but head hunters are always asking me to go work for them.
I got this yesterday:

Brian Stewart
Career Opportunity
Hi Jason,

I am seeking a Mine Technologist for an underground gold mine in BC. Would you be interested in learning more about this role?

Regards,
Brian

My reply:

I appreciate the offer, very much.

Honestly, Ive been here for going on 8 years.
Doing 102k salary a year now.
And for the past 4 years my job is flying drones everyday.
I get paid to play with expensive toys and come up with new innovative ways to utilize robotics on site.
Ive done everything underground already - Supervisor, ventilation, Stope design... but I love this position so it would take a lot to get me to leave it.
But again, thank you very much for the offer.

He replied,
Fair enough!

So ya I love my job.

posted on Nov, 8 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Im looking forward to hitting the notebook again tonight.
I like the idea of carrying around a little pad to jot ideas down on.

When im flying a drone mission, I usually have 30 minutes to an hour waiting for the mission to be finished - I plan it first then the drone flys it autonomously. So theres a lot of standing around between monitoring my voltage and wind speeds.
A note pad will come in handy from now on!

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I find that a little love injection can be profound in fighting off that bug. It always works for me. My other half makes me laugh, smile and think about all the wonderful things I wouldn't have thought of before hand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join