It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatebase

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So a poster, JIMC5499, in another thread asked about a "modified Hatebase dictionary used by the authors of" a study on GAB. I too was curious about this database and wondered whether it was available online.

It turns out that it is: Hatebase

They say the following about themselves:

Hatebase was built to assist companies, government agencies, NGOs and research organizations moderate online conversations and potentially use hate speech as a predictor for regional violence.

See also: Introducing Hatebase: the world’s largest online database of hate speech

In any event, I thought people would find this interesting.

I'm still playing around with the searches...

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

Interesting find indeed. I’ll have to wait till I get home play around on this.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

#in LOL

OK, so get this, the geeks over at hatebase have determined that saying 'American-born Chinese' or 'Australian-born Chinese' is precisely 24% hate speech.

Thats awesome.

your racist vocabulary

Un-#in-believable.

I bet silly links to this every day now - we're screwed.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
I've just looked at your link, and I think they're referring to the initials "ABC".
The full phrase is just explaining the meaning.

And I think the percentage shows how far the term gets along the line between "relatively benign" and "extremely offensive".
I've also just checked "wog", which gets a much higher score.

edit on 2-11-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
No wonder they are constantly whining about dog whistles.

Just by loading up the front page alone I see I can't talk about having a twinkie anymore because I'm referring to someone like Elizabeth Warren or an Asian-American who's integrated into American culture instead of cream-filled yellow sponge cake that could survive WWIII.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I've just looked at your link, and I think they're referring to the initials "ABC".

Imagine if the initials ABC was deemed 24% hate speech - all those little nazis learning the nickname for 'alphabet' in pre-school. No wonder everyone some people don't like is Hitler.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
You reckon "soy boi" or "snowflake" would return a hit? "Triggered" shouldn't 'cause that's their own term for "perpetually offended snowflake."

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
You reckon "soy boi" or "snowflake" would return a hit? "Triggered" shouldn't 'cause that's their own term for "perpetually offended snowflake."

I typed in 'are hatebase employees NPC' and got banned.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Hmmmmm....there's an add a term button....seems like that could be fun....

Wonder if ATS could come up with some new hateful words we could all add....
edit on 2/11/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Only on this planet could words be considered a crime and in fact have an entire police department dedicated to word crime

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Why is C afraid of the rest of the alphabet?
Because they're Not-C's!

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88
Wonder if ATS could come up with some new hateful words we could all add....

I've invented a useful acronym which I'm hoping to launch into the world at some stage, but I want to get other things out of the way first.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Shocker, conservatives are attacking a database collecting online hate speech. How about focusing on the hate spread online that is radicalizing Americans to not only find safe spaces to spread hate but also radicalize them so much they commit mass shootings and send bombs in the mail?

Is that so hard? You’d think this would be a bi partisan issue but conservatives continue to let us all down.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: thegeneraldisarray

Why is C afraid of the rest of the alphabet?
Because they're Not-C's!

I typed in 'ATS' - guess what came up?

NATSI - a person from German decent - Nazi

It registers 50% on the hate-speechomometer.

Now folks here can refer to me and others as a 'Natsi' (an ATS Nazi) when logic and lateral thinking evades their ability to back up their dribble.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I'd just like to talk about twinkies again. Tasty ... tasty ... twinkies.

Do you see the problem? That could be called hate speech by this stupid database, and all I want is some cake!

The problem is that everyone thinks that if we just erase enough words, no one can hate. Yet here you manage to do a fine job all on your own without using the words.

People need to understand it's all about intent, and sometimes, it's not even that, but it is in your mind.

I'm sure, Swills, that if you try hard enough, and these days you do, anything and everything is hate no matter what any of the rest of us are talking about ... even my cake. So I'll be sure to enjoy may tasty, tasty hate cake tonight in your honor because it's people like you that cause crap like this database to happen.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Says the hate & hypocrisy party. Rampant and never-ending censorship and the assault on free speech isn't a bi-partisan issue. That's totally in your court.

edit on 2-11-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Shocker, conservatives are attacking a database collecting online hate speech.

Remember in school there would always be that one person who would write down peoples names and what they did then give the list up to the teacher? They did this because they wanted the whole class to change and adapt to their own little bubble of conception.

Then constantly play the 'I have no friends' victim card.

fast-forward to 2018 and we now have Hatebase - the one person playing the victim.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Why do you believe your "side" should have the sole authority to define what is considered hate? That is the real question that needs answering here.

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So if you go to the advanced search, select a category and then a language, without entering a search term, you get everything with those tags:

Ethnicity: 784 search results
Nationality: 150 search results
Religion: 39 search results
Sexual Orientation: 12 search results
Disability: 7 search results
Class: 56 search results
Archaic: 41 search results

Seems like a really thin database. In fact, so thin, I'd say it almost seems fraudulent to market this at this stage to any company, government agency, NGO or research organization.

They're actually charging for this nonsense: Pricing.

edit on 2-11-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I'm not attacking the idea, so much as the implementation.

Moreover, I now think this particular product is essentially a fraud.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join