It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ocean Cleanup launches to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Hopefully this proof of concept pans out and a bigger better system will be built. It is a first step which is long over due IMO. They are saying that before year 2100 they hope to be able to have cleaned the ocean of plastic garbage.

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Many won't like my post but sometimes the truth hurts.

This is a great start but there is another way.

First off, get some real help, I am thinking of a great mission, a partnership between the US Navy and the Chinese Navy, both working in unison.

Trying to do so without hurting a few tons of fish make these endeavors much more expensive than they need to be.

Harvest the plastic by the most direct method and if fish get caught, well, that is what fishing fleets actually do.

Harvest the fish, the Naval personnel can eat well.

What we truly need is purpose designed large ships designed to strip the plastic from the ocean and process it on the spot.

Melt it down into blocks weighing a few ton each and then recycle it on shore. Yes, both Navies have Nuclear Powered ships that would be ideal.

So, design two sister ships, one built in the good ole US of A and the other built in China.

Perhaps see if Russia could help. I know for a fact that Australia would jump at such a chance to be involved.

Mr President, another deal for you to make and let us get together in peace.

Countries need to work together, get to know each other to help mankind.

S&F

P

edit on 30/10/2018 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Mr President, another deal for you to make and let us get together in peace. Countries need to work together, get to know each other to help mankind.

Trump is already on it.

Trump Signs Legislation To Clean Up Millions Of Tons Of Garbage From The World’s Oceans

“Every year, over 8 million tons of garbage is dumped into our beautiful oceans by many countries of the world. That includes China, that includes Japan, that includes many, many countries,” the president explained. “This waste, trash and debris harms not only marine life, but also fisherman, coastal economies along America’s vast stretches. The bad news is it floats toward us.”

Trump signs law to curb foreign ocean dumping

We’re being inundated by debris from other countries,” Mr. Trump said. “We will be responding and very strongly

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
fukushima is leaking radiation in ground water that is running into the pacific. you are pulling debri out of heavily polluted water. gotta find a way to stop the leak first or its pointless

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: fightzone58
fukushima is leaking radiation in ground water that is running into the pacific. you are pulling debri out of heavily polluted water. gotta find a way to stop the leak first or its pointless

They are talking about cleaning up the huge area of the Pacific which contains tons of floating plastic. The plastic that ends up being eaten by ocean life and dies..

It would be interesting to put a Geiger counter on a collected pile and see if it registers anything other than back ground radiation.

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

First off, get some real help, I am thinking of a great mission, a partnership between the US Navy and the Chinese Navy, both working in unison.

Wait, the Chinese have a navy?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I didn’t think the patch existed?

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I like it!!

I Certainly would never say or do anything to hinder, negate or patronize a person or group of people who are doing something to make the world a better place.

We are a filthy species who can’t seem to collectively pick up after ourselves. So when someone uses their intelligence and ability to clean up someone else’s mess, I applaud them! I say, well done and thank you!!

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
It's great that the U.S. is actually doing something to help reduce the amount of plastic trash floating in the Pacific Ocean. It is being proactive about dealing with a global problem that has gone on for way too long. But . . .

Although this cleanup attempt is a good start and makes the U.S. look environmentally friendly to the rest of the world, the majority of countries around the world are guilty of at least allowing dumping into the oceans. Unloading trash into the oceans and most every available waterway is a common practice the world over and has been since the dawn of civilization. While the governments are turning a blind eye to enforcement of ocean dumping, they too have been dumping some highly dangerous debris out there.

With the above statement in mind, I can only believe that such cleanup efforts are ignoring the obvious fact that dumping in the oceans and other bodies of water is only going to continue, get worse and harder to clean up. They need to have a way to monitor, control, and eventually halt the dumping. All the countries guilty of being the source of ocean trash, regardless of their laws and regulations, should be made responsible for preventing it in the first place.

Cleaning up should be a priority at the same time along with enforcing the laws meant to stop the practice of ocean dumping. With the technology available, a system to monitor the trash should reveal who the culprits really are by following logistics from manufacturing, purchase and use, the sanitation process, and it's final destination in the ocean. ETA: Even now they could trace the country of origin of the trash they find and follow the evidence through the logistical processes. This should be obvious without expensive forensic tests, just good old gumshoe detective work could do the trick.

This cleanup effort just reeks of a feel good political PR stunt to me. However, I've grown skeptical over the years of anything the government or big business says they are doing to fix any problems - particularly those problems they had a hand in creating.

ETA: They are going to dump no matter what, but what about regulated dumping? One idea for controlling the dumping is by allowing it in designated ocean dumping grounds provided they use environmentally sound practices. Like making the least dangerous trash into solid blocks and placing it in ocean proof numbered containers in specific dumping slots. They could make licensing revenue and create a whole industry around environmentally safe ocean dumping.
edit on 30-10-2018 by MichiganSwampBuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

very happy to see that someone has the funds to do this... its a shame the billionaires didn't start this 20 years ago.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It isn't working.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 11/21/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

At least they are working on tweaking it, and trying to improve it, because it is working somewhat. The equipment seems so small and inadequate to cover the massive problems we have. But it's nice to see the effort.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Yeah. But they're sort of shooting the the dark. They don't really know why it doesn't work.

Stupid trash. Why won't you stay put?

One hypothesis is that the force of the wind against the system might be making both extreme ends of the floater pipe oscillate (like the fin of a fish), which may lead to a motion force against the wind direction. This motion counteracts the force of the wind, and, therefore, slows down the system.

It is also possible that the vibrations in the ends of the U-shape could be creating a type of ripple-force field that repels the plastic away from as it nears the mouth of the system.

www.theoceancleanup.com...

It's such a simple concept. Perhaps too simple.

edit on 11/21/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: fightzone58

Tell that to the dead whale they found with hundreds of pounds of plastics blocking off his stomach. I agree something needs to be done about Fukushima but like everything in life we can't let things we can't change stop us from changing the things we can.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
It isn't working.
www.youtube.com...

Do they know about Brownian motion?
wind may drive waves but trash follows the currents.

top topics

join