It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Window washers dress up as superheroes at childrens hospital

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The video is from last year, but today is one of two days a year that window washers at the childrens hospital in Pittsburgh dress up as superheroes while washing the windows.

I had some bad news yesterday regarding the death of a family member, and this really cheered me up.

To see guys with very unglamorous jobs be able to brighten up some sick kids day is really wonderful and inspiring. I think these guys are incredible and deserve to be thanked for their efforts.

edit on 23-10-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Good on them, I have much respect for those who can brighten a sick child’s day, giving them a break from in all and giving them the childhood wonder they so desperately need.

Chris Pratt even stole his Star Lord costume off set so he could visit sick kids in character.
See folks there is good people left out there great people doing great things, don’t be blinded by the media’s hate and fear they love to spread about.
a reply to: Grambler

edit on 23-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

I'm all in favor of brightening the lives of children in hospitals.

But why does it have to be '' super heroes'' Why not a couple of guys on the scaffold who look like Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello. Each window they clean they could act out some funny bit of clowning that takes a few minutes and then in the end have a clean window. Wouldn't this brighten the day for these kids as well?

You see, I have an issue with the over ''super hero azation'' of our culture. I was raised on the black and white TV superman. I read each issue of the comics as they came out and wanted to be superman. I wanted to fly and be invincible and get the pretty girl who was Lois.

Not until many years later as an adult for over a decade was I able to begin to address the fantasy dreams that had stimulated a fair portion of my thinking and personal development throughout my formative years. Only then could I begin the purging of fantasy thinking and move on.

Looking at our society now, having recognized these tendencies within my self, I find that this ''super hero'' culture is a preeminent forger of personal identities. Our screens are filled the year round with larger than life ''inspirations''' on how to be, how to be the good guy.

Not happy with only the big three or so, it seems that all, and I mean ALL of the old comic super heroes have had at least one major movie made in super technocolor super cgi and super dolby sound. And when those run out, others are invented to fill it what is left of the void.

And then when we get away from the Big screen to the small screen, which all to often now is also a big screen, these super heros are prestented again and again in all their iterations. When they were teen agers, when they were children and when they form clubs with other super heroes.

All too often this is developed along the scenario of how to be the super good guy who defeats the mean and vile ''super bad guy''. I think if we want to study some of the polarization in this society one place we might start part of our study is right there. Super good guys against Super bad guys, being fed into our young adults, our teenagers and our 5 year olds.

And don't get me started on the acclaimation that is given to a few of the newer blockbuster super hero movies because they offer the same fantasy thinking disguised as ''inspiration'' to black children and young girls.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Oh Honey, seriously?
What child today even knows who laurel and hardy are?

Can anything make you smile?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

LIKE, Laurel and Hardy. Like Abbott and Costello. LIKE Dump and Dumber. Comedy. Your reply goes to another unspoken lack in this society. The underlying programming of people being TOLD what is funny. Laugh tracks that tell us when to laugh, telling us what is funny. Comedy movies that show us ahead of time what the funny bits will be so we will satisfied when they show up in the move.

Ever been to a comedy movie where people only laugh at the bits that drew them to it in the first place yet entirely miss the jokes or bits that are funny other wise?

I smiled just yesterday when a guy in the gym asked me ''what do you call a phony noodle''. An IMpasta. Well, I groaned as I smiled.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Or some times you just like Spider-Man. Nothing more nothing less.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Certainly, sometimes you just like Spiderman. But nothing more? Nothing less? I have not found life to be that simple. Of course kids like Spiderman. I like Spiderman. Good comic relief, and old man Jameson was much more entertaining than Perry White. But the deeper issue of entertainment and how it factors into the development of not only individuals but society as a whole is part of the ''much more'' than all to many of us are willing or even capable of considering.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
LIKE, Laurel and Hardy. Like Abbott and Costello. LIKE Dump and Dumber.

Why not Groucho Marx or W.C. Fields?

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

We are talking about sick kids

We are talking about Spider-Man looking like he is crawling on a building washing windows for their entertainment

I don’t know is a harsh life lesson on the need to eliminate celebrating fictional heroes is in order here

As a kid, I would rather see Batman or Spider-Man on the side of a building than clowns or other comedians

Heck even as an adult

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Bigburgh has hand-painted boots for terminally ill kids which is awesome. I remembered his thread as soon as I saw your OP, but I'm sure he posted a pic of boots painted with superheroes which aren't there. Memory, huh?

There's a huge amount of people doing magical work to put smiles on the faces of kids in hospitals. I hate dropping clichés and I can't stop myself so here goes. Ahem. With all the animosity on social media and folk feeling down with life, it's easy to forget all the people and families trying to cope with seriously ill, or dying, children. I think of the medical staff who spend every working day amongst these kids and how they bring the sunshine. They've got bills and just life doing its thing and they still turn up and radiate warmth.

The dudes in the outfits, the families, the nursing staff and the 1000s of people like BigBurgh are like the very best aspects of humanity under pressure. I don't even believe in karma and hope it exists so they get some kind of reward for what they all do.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
As a kid, I would rather see Batman or Spider-Man on the side of a building than clowns...

The last thing a sick kid needs is a goddamn clown showing up. Might as well send spiders too at that point.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Bingo. I think that the Bank Dick out on the scaffold would certainly make kids laugh.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Bingo. I think that the Bank Dick out on the scaffold would certainly make kids laugh.

Moe Howard could push him off for some extra yuks.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Yeah. It is a simple band aid for depressed kids, I agree. Even Big Bird out on the ledge or the Count, counting the spots might be cute. But as I said, I have this thing about ''heroazation'' that just pushes my buttons. Never the less, I appologize for casting negativity on what really should be a feel good event.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

OMG. Who of any age would not be brightened by stoogelike goons trying to clean a window.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Your being purposefully obtuse and you know it. Liking spider-man can be that simple no where did I state that a like of spider man is the only facet of life. Common man your so deep you have gone off the end.

edit on 23-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Yeah. It is a simple band aid for depressed kids, I agree. Even Big Bird out on the ledge or the Count, counting the spots might be cute. But as I said, I have this thing about ''heroazation'' that just pushes my buttons. Never the less, I appologize for casting negativity on what really should be a feel good event.

No need to apologize at all!

You looked at it from a different angle, thats great. It would be a boring world if we all just agreed with each other and patted each other on the back.

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Sorry for your loss.

In regards to Children's Hospital here in Pittsburgh; "All Staff" are trained and encouraged to interact and bring happiness to the patients and family. From the Medical staff to the Custodial staff. Everyone gets involved. 😊

Here are some old pics of shoes I've painted for kids being treated for terminal illnessses.

Here's a link if any painter's around the country wish to volunteer their time.
peachsneetfeet.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Bigburgh has hand-painted boots for terminally ill kids which is awesome. I remembered his thread as soon as I saw your OP, but I'm sure he posted a pic of boots painted with superheroes which aren't there. Memory, huh?

There's a huge amount of people doing magical work to put smiles on the faces of kids in hospitals. I hate dropping clichés and I can't stop myself so here goes. Ahem. With all the animosity on social media and folk feeling down with life, it's easy to forget all the people and families trying to cope with seriously ill, or dying, children. I think of the medical staff who spend every working day amongst these kids and how they bring the sunshine. They've got bills and just life doing its thing and they still turn up and radiate warmth.

The dudes in the outfits, the families, the nursing staff and the 1000s of people like BigBurgh are like the very best aspects of humanity under pressure. I don't even believe in karma and hope it exists so they get some kind of reward for what they all do.

Damn ....
Should have read on. Thanks for the mention. 🍻👍🤗🤗🤗🤗

posted on Oct, 23 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I didnt know about that thread from bigburgh, thats awesome!

I wish I had done more for kids like that, and I should in the future.

I do spend a lot of time helping with people with mental disabilities, both at my job and outside of it, but its not something I advertise.

I tell you what though, i have seen the people you would least expect, gruff drunks that are constantly fighting and getting tin trouble with the law, show the greatness kindness to some of the people I work with with disabilities.

If you stop searching for negativity and really look, you can see great kindness all around us, even in the bleakest of situations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join