It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Boeing gets order for Seventy 737-800's from Ryanair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Ryanair, Europe's biggest low-cost airline that has been buying Boeing jets in recent years, is ready to buy more. Ryanair announced this morning at a London news conference that it will order as many as 70 more 737-800 jets, according to several people familiar with the latest deal with The Boeing Co. Ryanair also has taken options on an additional 70 planes.

seattle.bizjournals.com
Boeing Commercial Airplanes Group of Renton said Irish low-fare carrier Ryanair has committed to the purchase of 70 737-800s and taken an option on 70 more of the planes. The value of the firm order is $4.6 billion, but the deal balloons to $9.2 billion if the options are exercised, Boeing said.

The order from the largest operator of next-generation 737s outside the United States is one of the largest ever booked for the planes. Ryanair has 73 737-800s in service and an additional 152 on order, excluding options.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I am happy to see Boeing got the order, I wonder if they considered any of the Airbus planes?

If they did consider Airbus, did they loose the bid to Boeing or is there another possible answer for the reason they selected Boeing over Airbus.

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This topic needs to be bumped up.
*bump*

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Glad to hear Boeing has the order also. The 787 sounds like a real neat plane. The Technology in it may well beacome the standard. It seems there may at least be some work for the people at Boeing.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   

While I am happy to see Boeing got the order, I wonder if they considered any of the Airbus planes?

You can be sure that Airbus was considered, and you can be sure there are some very unhappy people because Airbus didn't get this order. The competition is fierce, with Europe wanting to hold the edge as the world's provider of commercial airplanes.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Its interesting to see how soft the market is for the 737-900. The 700 and the 800's seem to be selling quite well. As mentioned before Im sure there are more than a few angry people in Europe over this decision, But I would point out that EasyJet, another low cost carrier has an all Airbus fleet if I recall. In the US Jet Blue is all airbus, while Southwest is all Boeing. Operating a mixed fleet can drive up costs.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Iberia airlines claims it recived a "major discount" from Airbus and has selected its planes over rival Boeing. So are they selling them below cost? Id sure like to know.

MADRID (AFP) - Spanish airline Iberia said it has inked a deal worth 4.5 billion dollars (3.4 billion euros) to purchase 30 Airbus short and medium haul planes with an option for 49 more in the company's biggest ever acquisition.

Dumping Planes?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
And what happnes if Boeing has to deliver 70 planes, AFTER the bottom drops out from underneath the dollar..hmm? What happens when Boeing has to deliver planes that cost more to build that they were sold for? Do they ignore the contract, try to renegotiate, or bite the bullet and built the plane, and sell it at a loss.

If Airbus is selling planes for Euros, it's contracts will be MORE valuable after the bottom drops out from underneath the dollar, and Airbus will be in a prime position to steal every Boeing customer. That is, every customer who didn't manage to get their hands on one of those 17 million dollar (42 Euro) planes delivered from previously inked contracts, before the company went belly up.

An exageration obviously. But not much of one. China is involved in a similar deal, and they have more control over our dollar. They could sink the dollar, and demand delivery of brand new planes, now for what amounts to peanuts, chump change. There's nothing to do but wait and see I suppose, it could go the complete opposite way, with America making a Rocky like return to greatness. Just have to wait and see.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Airbus planes are priced in dollars

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Iberia airlines claims it recived a "major discount" from Airbus and has selected its planes over rival Boeing. So are they selling them below cost? Id sure like to know.

MADRID (AFP) - Spanish airline Iberia said it has inked a deal worth 4.5 billion dollars (3.4 billion euros) to purchase 30 Airbus short and medium haul planes with an option for 49 more in the company's biggest ever acquisition.

Dumping Planes?

Looks more like a government choice then one made by Iberia when you consider Ryanair got 70 planes for virtually the same amount of money.

One would really have to see what Boeings offer was to make a sound decision, since they are talking both long haul and short haul where as all the Ryan aircraft were one type as I recall.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
FredT
Airbus planes are priced in whatever currency Airbus wants them priced in, no?

new topics

top topics

join