It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix Reportedly Shows Different Skin Colors on Movie Title Cards Depending on Your Assumed Race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So I wasn't exactly sure where to put this but it seems pretty funny. I always wondered why netflix would feature less prominent actors on the title cards for shows...i guess this explains why. It's based on the race netflix thinks the people using that account are.

It seems pretty stupid to me but i wonder how well it'a actually workes to encourage people to watch things they otherwise wouldn't have.

exstreamist.com...

Netflix, a notorious data collector, can probably make an educated guess as to what race you are.

But it also looks like they’re proactively using that data to show different title cards for movies and TV shows in their catalog depending on the data.

Stacia Brown noticed this trend and posted about it on Twitter. Netflix recommended her the movie ‘Like Father,’ which predominantly features Kristen Bell and Kelsey Grammar as the leads, both white actors. But instead of seeing these two characters on the title card, she was shown Leonard Ouzts and Blaire Brooks, two black actors who are in the move for a handful of scenes.

Here is her tweet asking if she was the only person seeing this:

Other Black @netflix users: does your queue do this? Generate posters with the Black cast members on them to try to compel you to watch? This film stars Kristen Bell/Kelsey Grammer and these actors had maaaaybe a 10 cumulative minutes of screen time. 20 lines between them, tops. pic.twitter.com/Sj7rD8wfOS

— stacia l. brown (@slb79) October 18, 2018

Dozens of other Twitter users hopped in and said, no, they were in fact seeing the same thing. Interestingly, though, several white people replied that they were seeing a title card featuring Bell and Grammar.

Eta: Oops Added link

edit on 18/10/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Netflix has been on a good run, beating subscription estimates and a very good performing stock.

So what's left? Identity politics.

Might as well start souring the customer base at some point.

I've personally never experienced this. Netflix titles for me show the main stars. But I dont doubt it. Given Hulus latest foot in mouth sjw garbage that backfired, these companies are following the well beaten path of torching their image with this identity politic crap.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Netflix doesn't do that for me. That's why this caught my eye. The other day me and my girlfriend watched some movie and we both were confused why some character that was barely in the movie was the one they used on the title card.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

They must think I’m Asian and Indian (India).

Pisses me off!!

To clarify, it doesn’t piss me off about what race they use on title cards, it pisses me off that they recommend so many Asian and Indian movies...not sure why they do that for my account when I don’t watch them.

edit on 1459x6714America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago10 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Link please

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If you ran a business like that you would try to cater to your specific customers too. Funny though, I started watching a movie called "blackway" and fell asleep. Tried to find it the next day to watch the rest, typed "black" in my search and all I see is movies with black people now.
edit on 18-10-2018 by ThankzgivingDinnerz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Sorry....link added.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Here in a bit I’ll take a few screen shots of my Netflix and post those. Then we can really get to the bottom of this!
I am very interested in the results.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
They also use 'Gun violence' on movie information now.

Netflix is littered with political hackery.

What do people expect when they hired the last prez.
edit on 18-10-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

They do have shows that are right and others that make fun of both. Paradise P.D. Is a good example and also The Ranch.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

Pisses me off!!

I always wondered about that.. I get a lot of Indian and Asian actors portrayed in movies that don't have them as lead actors.

I use Netflix a lot.

So they have confused a Native American (Indian) with an Indian (India).

Too funny!!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Pisses me off!!

I always wondered about that.. I get a lot of Indian and Asian actors portrayed in movies that don't have them as lead actors.

I use Netflix a lot.

So they have confused a Native American (Indian) with an Indian (India).

Too funny!!!!

Have you watched “Wind River”? Love that movie and I imagine you would too.

posted on Oct, 18 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
hey Netflix: im not a nerd!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Pisses me off!!

To clarify, it doesn’t piss me off about what race they use on title cards, it pisses me off that they recommend so many Asian and Indian movies...not sure why they do that for my account when I don’t watch them.

You too?

Whenever I go to "Recently Added", the bottom half of the list is ALWAYS Indian and Asian stuff. I can't even pronounce the title of most of them. I get a lot of Spanish stuff, too.

I keep thinking maybe someone is using my account, and always watches foreign movies, but they never come up in "Continue watching", so that kinda rules it out.

new topics

top topics

join