It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British mountain biker shot dead by hunter in French Alps

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

A British mountain biker has been shot by a hunter in the French Alps.

The 34-year-old, named locally as Marc Sutton, was killed by a stray bullet while riding in woodland near Montriond, close to the Swiss border.

He was biking on a popular mountain track when he was shot by a 22-year-old who was taken to hospital in severe shock.

British mountain biker shot dead by hunter in French Alps

In the past three years, more than 20 people have died in hunting accidents in France.

Philippe Toccanier, prosecutor for the Thonon-Les-Bains region, told the Associated Press (AP) the death in thick woods was believed to be an accident.

But he said that Mr Sutton "couldn't be confused with game, as he had a coloured helmet and a coloured mountain bike".

What a terrible and avoidable death. Guy's living the good life one moment and killed the next. He's left a family behind and it's an awful tragedy that could happen to anyone where reckless hunters are forgetting the golden rule of looking behind the target. It's also a tragedy for the man who killed him and there's no evidence to suggest it was deliberate; he'll be living with this death for all of his days.

Calls are coming in to ban hunting altogether and it's a natural response in my opinion. We see news of a death and look for ways to reduce the chances or prevent them entirely. Banning hunting is one way to eliminate hunting accidents.

Another way is making sure hunters act responsibly and pay urgent attention to their sight lines.

Firing at a movement or a noise without being absolutely certain of what you are shooting at constitutes disregard for the safety of others. No target is so important that you cannot take the time before you pull the trigger to be absolutely certain of your target and where your shot will stop.
Firearms Safety

I haven't checked the 20 deaths in three years to see how they compare to this tragedy. There are about 75 hunting-related deaths a year in all of North America which suggests the French authorities have some educational work to do. Training is a start. As long as hunting is legal, hunters have the right to go hunting. At the same time, their rights don't exceed the rights of a greater number of people to be out in the countryside without catching bullets.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I am neither hunter nor outdoor sports enthusiast, but the first question that comes to mind is "Shouldn't hunting and recreational areas be separate?" Schools aren't built in industrial zones, right?

Messed up and sad.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Recreation and hunting overlaps. Forests have bike trails as well as game so I guess the two pursuits will cross paths. I think it's the responsibility of hunters to think twice and be aware of their environment. Riders shouldn't have to ride the paths with kevlar vests.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
In the most states during hunting season people are required to wear blaze Orange, is that a thing out there?

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Recreation and hunting overlaps. Forests have bike trails as well as game so I guess the two pursuits will cross paths. I think it's the responsibility of hunters to think twice and be aware of their environment. Riders shouldn't have to ride the paths with kevlar vests.

I grew up hunting and I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

When hunting season comes around, one should not be surprised when a stray bullet goes astray. I had a rifle bullet hit my apartment during deer season in the state of PA. Would it have been tragedy if the bullet hit me or killed me? Yes. However, when hunting season comes around in my state? Those of us not hunting stay the hell out of the woods.

We are required to wear fluorescent orange vest in the state. That way it is the responsibility of the hunter to make sure if they are shooting a deer, that they are in fact sane enough to be shooting a deer. This is something covered in every hunters safety course that is required before anyone gets a hunting license in the state. In other words, if you are not certain your target is a deer? Don't fire!

This article read like it was a stray bullet. (Like the one that hit my house.)

Tragedy? Yes, but when hunting season comes around, stray bullets happen. Not every hunter is trained to be a military sniper and not every hunter should be licensed to hunt and when you have people riding bikes in a shooting zone, things like this happen.
edit on 14-10-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I'm just confused as to what protocol some hunters do before taking the shot.

Part of responsible hunting is identifying the animal, and making sure you are delivering a kill shot.

If you hunt with the determination to not let an animal suffer, and knowing how far you can deliver a well placed shot, everything will be fine IMO.

Unless one of my shots ricochet, I have no idea how I could accidently kill someone.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How come people don't get bent out of shape about all the deaths and destruction caused by texting?

www.edgarsnyder.com...

I mean 12,000 peeps died from falling down the stairs ffs.
ellisinjurylaw.com...

Seems an over-the-top reaction to such a statistically minute occurrence.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Forests have bike trails as well as game so I guess the two pursuits will cross paths.

Forests do not "have" bike trails in the same way that they "have" game.

Bike trails could easily be limited to areas closed to hunting. The fact that some are not means that the participants are aware of and accept the risk.
edit on 14/10/2018 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I'm just confused as to what protocol some hunters do before taking the shot.

Part of responsible hunting is identifying the animal, and making sure you are delivering a kill shot.

If you hunt with the determination to not let an animal suffer, and knowing how far you can deliver a well placed shot, everything will be fine IMO.

Unless one of my shots ricochet, I have no idea how I could accidently kill someone.

Ever miss hitting your target? That's how things like this happen. The bullet just keeps going until it is stopped by hitting something.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Exactly, what the laws there? Maybe the biker was off piste in a place he shouldn't have been?

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ban biking and hiking during hunting seasons.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm a hunter. Have been all my life. The first thing I was taught was watch the background, if you don't know what's back there, you don't shoot, period. Because of just such a possibility. Someone behind your target, and both of you unaware of the other...

That hunter made a horrible mistake, one that'll haunt him for the rest of his life.

You know there's a however coming...one that many of you won't agree with, and I'll quite understand why...

But if it's hunting season, and you're going to be out and about where there are hunters...wear blaze orange, make yourself as conspicuous as humanly possible. It's a wise precaution to take...like wearing your helmet.

Shouldn't have to, no. Agreed. But it's a wise precaution, none the less. I was out and about yesterday, it's opening weekend for whitetail deer here. Wasn't hunting, just goin' for a walk. You know what I was wearing...? Yup, a blaze orange vest, and baseball cap.
edit on 10/14/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/14/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It is said that he was using well travelled paths and also that the French Prosecution are looking at "aggravated shooting" not quite sure what that means but doesn't sound good. The hunter aged 22 is in hospital with severe shock apparently

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

France isn't a big place with regards to areas to hunt in. They've still hit a 115 accidents and 13 deaths in the past year. North America seems to have fewer accidents and deaths which is why I reckon more education will help over banning hunting.

I appreciate your other points and mostly agree with them. The question is whether people are riding in 'hunting zones' or hunters are shooting in recreational zones?

I've nothing against hunting and wouldn't want to see it banned.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Bookmarked for tomorrow as I hunt here in France.

Lags

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Forests do not "have" bike trails in the same way that they "have" game.

Yea, but bullets can travel pretty far if you are irresponsible and shot up into the air. Like uphill at something and you miss.

I don't think I've ever shot a bullet without knowing where it's going to stop.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I think severe shock is understandable.

I think, unless he was in violation of hunting regulations--does anyone know?--, I think an investigation is going to rule accident.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

We have a place there and you could hear guns going off all the time...mostly with dogs. Lots of accidents so and education system should help a ton as you mentioned.
Sounds like the French might be a bit hap-hazard.
www.thelocal.fr...

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
It is said that he was using well travelled paths and also that the French Prosecution are looking at "aggravated shooting" not quite sure what that means but doesn't sound good. The hunter aged 22 is in hospital with severe shock apparently

Here is what we know. The shooter was 22 and from the UK. Not to sound like a prick, but I live an hour north of Pittsburgh PA in hunting country. I see this kind of stuff every year during hunting season where a city slicker decides to try being an out doorsman. They pass the hunters safety test, which isn't hard to do if you have some intelligence to learn. They get their hunting license, buy a rifle and they most likely step in the woods for the first time in their life with intention of being a great hunter.

Those of us who grew up with fathers who taught us how to hunt before we were old enough to legally use a weapon, laugh at the city folk who come to our woods with their brand new weapons that cost a lot more than the hand me downs we use for hunting.

Just like when I was in the military,,,,,,,it was us rednecks that blew right thru the rifle range with Expert Marxmanship. We had an advantage because we grew up with hunting and weapons as part of our culture. Common sense doesn't come from passing a test.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Each hunt is controlled by the local government. The dates are pretty specific, but it is not known how well things are advertised/noticed. I mean, in Ohio, peeps didnt go in the woods during hunting seaason.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join