It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanoid Boston Dynamics Robot Can Now Perform Parkour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
What's parkour?

Parkour (French: [paʁkuʁ]) is a training discipline using movement that developed from military obstacle course training.[4][5][6] Practitioners aim to get from one point to another in a complex environment, without assistive equipment and in the fastest and most efficient way possible. Parkour includes running, climbing, swinging, vaulting, jumping, rolling, quadrupedal movement (crawling) and other movements as deemed most suitable for the situation.[7][8] Parkour's development from military training gives it some aspects of a non-combative martial art.

en.wikipedia.org...

Boston Dynamics robot dog, SpotMini, isn't quite ready for military application, but this fella is coming along nicely. So, who's going to play "John Connor" and be the leader of the human resistance in 40 years?

Published Today, October 11, 2018:

Published On May 11, 2018:

edit on 10/11/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/11/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Its control system must be measuring and compensating for all forces its generates and be measure its balance in three axis and provide compensating movements to correct displacements from them axises. Elaborate but still only a machine. Don't be fooled into thinking these things can ever really think. They follow their programming. If someone decides to mount gun to arm and program them to kill like a terminator they will but it has to be deliberately programmed that way.

The control system would also be compensating its centre of balance depending on type of terrain. It needs to maintain the lowest centre of balance for all jumps.

edit on 11-10-2018 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I wonder how the future robots will be powered? Current battery packs won't last very long.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

I agree...BUT quantum computers will one day become instrumental in the further development of these robots. If you can install a miniaturized quantum computer in one of these machines, then it will open a whole new world of possibilities.

F: Could a quantum computer be scaled down to the size of a phone, or something vaguely portable at some point?

ML: That is not out of the question. There are ways to package it so that it can actually become portable and potentially can be miniaturized enough maybe not to the point of a mobile phone, but perhaps a desktop computer. But that cannot be done right now.

Over the last five to 10 years, most people assumed that the developments have been very futuristic. They assumed that it will take a long time before we create any useful quantum machines. I think that this is just not the case. I think we are already entering the new era with tremendous potential for scientific discoveries, which might have wide­ranging applications for material science, chemistry — really anything that involves complex physical systems. But I also feel that very soon we will start discovering what quantum computers can be useful for in a much broader scope, ranging from optimization to artificial intelligence and machine learning. I think these things are around the corner.

futurism.com...

If you think AI is terrifying wait until it has a quantum computer brain

Once quantum computers surpass the capabilities of supercomputers – a feat that’s nearly been accomplished – we’ll need methods for creating instructions and understanding the vast amount of data they produce. AI is perfectly suited for this, and according to experts it’s the logical next step.

thenextweb.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   

That's very fascinating, I couldn't help but hum the Terminator theme song while I watched the vids.

The applications for helping the elderly and handicapped would be revolutionary!

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchandwait410
I wonder how the future robots will be powered? Current battery packs won't last very long.

For everyday use and commercial battery power is a long way off. For military and space exploration we do have atomic batteries. A carbon-14 battery half-life could be as long as 5,000 years. Plenty of time to invent a better replacement robot and battery.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

Bezos is creaming his pant$.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Come now, surely you jest - you’re on CT site, think CT.

These types of projects will eventually utilize free energy...I say eventually because prototypes will use the standard fare while in the public’s eye.

After that...

ΔG=Gfinal–Ginitial

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
don't worry it can't do your job

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Pretty cool, improve power storage / generation, harden their electronics, equip them with weapons and send out into the streets by the millions to enforce the law. Same with border security. And send into battle in place of flesh and blood.

Competent machines with no incessant whining from them like C3PO.

Aim for no nonsense peace keepers, sort of like the original Gort, or at least what Klaatu's final speech described.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

If we needed a John Connor in 40 years he would die immediately because nanobots will be around then so it could read his thoughts and snuff out all threats immediately. If you hate machines you die, or something like that.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Squirt em with the hose and take their gun arm ...

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

Its control system must be measuring and compensating for all forces its generates and be measure its balance in three axis and provide compensating movements to correct displacements from them axises.

Oh, you mean like a human brain?

Elaborate but still only a machine.

Unlike us organic machines?

We are simply machines built by evolution.

Don't be fooled into thinking these things can ever really think. They follow their programming. If someone decides to mount gun to arm and program them to kill like a terminator they will but it has to be deliberately programmed that way.

The control system would also be compensating its centre of balance depending on type of terrain. It needs to maintain the lowest centre of balance for all jumps.

Missing the point of AI and now machines that can react in real time to their environment..

But you're right. We're not there yet.. Maybe next month.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
These robots are a long way from autonomy. Maybe in 100 years. The scenes of the robots doing acrobatics and negotiating obstacles were pre-planned based on what they were programmed to do in a specific situation. Very specific situation.

edit on 12-10-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Well, operation freedom Tehran here we come!

posted on Feb, 16 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

No, I disagree based upon the Robot that just got Saudi Arabia Citizenship and this video (sex Robot AI, and if you listen to the video in its entirety, it definitely more than a little concerning)

youtu.be...

edit on 16-2-2019 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Back when I played Dune 2 in the early mid 90s on my dads 486 pc, i begged of him to increase the ram in his computer from 580kb to 640kb or the game wouldnt run.
20 years later and I feel like my 32gb is maybe a tad short of what Id like hehe

top topics

join