It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travelers to New Zealand who refuse a digital strip search will be fined $5000

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

I could find some though it's kind of moot as it would only be regarded as fake news.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: manta78

I know if I was an organised criminal I wouldn't be carrying incriminating accounts, numbers or files with me. They'd deserve to be busted if they did that. As ever, I imagine this process will impact small potatoes and innocent tourists for whom time is money.

In reality it's more security theatre like we don't already have too much.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I could find some though it's kind of moot as it would only be regarded as fake news.

The USA has been doing it for years and I'm surprised it isn't common knowledge. Then again, apparently the USA is only second to Russia when it comes to being a beacon of civil liberties.

posted on Oct, 13 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

The USA has been doing it for years and I'm surprised it isn't common knowledge. Then again, apparently the USA is only second to Russia when it comes to being a beacon of civil liberties.

Indeed, seems like freedom comes at a cost, a cost that is largely ignored.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Well being that you stated that it started in the U.S. and then you state that whatever examples you might provide would only be construd as 'fake news' then I can can only conclude from your statements that your original statement is fake news.

Am I wrong? If not then perhaps you could provide a substantial argument?

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
There are so many ways around this it becomes a waste of effort except as some re-assurance to those who have less understanding of the means of eluding. That makes it look like a scheme to win votes to me.

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Leave it with me I will see if I can find a link for you, I was reading about it the other day,im just too busy too look right now ...
edit on 16-10-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, if you don't like it then don't visit New Zealand.

I'm pretty sure that's the entire point of the prospect...

posted on Oct, 16 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
They are concept-mapping.

They are downloading all your contacts, and especially your phone and text histories, along with your choice of apps.

The EU & US are paying them to do this, and of course share the maps generated with NZ. But it's really of value to the traveller's home state.

Organized crime, from drug cartels to gypsy families to ISIS, are so insidious because of their secret organization. When customs downloads all your contacts, their computer maps all your social relationships; giving them a list of the contacts you have in common with criminal organizations.

-when a terrorist is about to act, he "drops out" of his own social network and his calendar. So imagine a guy who has frequent phone calls with a guy in his hometown (say, Detroit). He calls his gramma in Hoboken every Tuesday. And takes a toll road to work at a pharma factory 5 days a week. Then suddenly he doesn't call his gramma or his only friend, and doesn't go to work. Instead he rents a truck and drives it to his work, after hours on a weekend. Then he drives the truck toward Washington DC, 24/7, only stopping for gas, not even stopping to buy food. He only places one call---to someone he has never called before. Then stops in a residential neighborhood in Indianapolis at the home of this stranger, who just dropped out of HIS own network. Together the two of them are driving nonstop to Washington DC.....

That's the kind of pattern they are looking for.

The other thing that criminal organizations do is find obscure phone social apps with a chat function that isn't logged. They can hold conversations in there that will disappear from the net when they log off. With spoofing, they can each log in as other users to confuse the authorities even more. So what are the odds that on five different flights from 5 different countries, on the same day, 5 different tourists who are all refugees from Kosovo all fly in to NZ, and they all use the ETSY chat function at the same time from different countries?

Hawala banking is often conducted through chat rooms like etsy and Call of Duty.

The customs police are interested in you because, if you have absolutely no connections to criminals, the can use your data to build a "network of exclusion"--people not connected to criminals.

but they can also use your clean record to build a baseline of expected behavior for your criminal connections. If you are sonny soprano's niece, and he calls you whenever he flies through Chicago O'Hare airport, then the cops know this is just a family visit. But if sonny flies through Chicago Without calling you, then it wasn't a vacation, and they know to watch uncle sonny when his plan lands in Las Vegas tonight...

So if you are law biding, knowing your networks helps the cops track their quarry....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join