It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian super high velocity rifle 6,500fps!!! For when fast ain’t fast enough....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Are you tired of those lame 3,000fps rifle rounds? 4,000fps not fast enough for ya? Boy does Russia have the round for you clocking in at an insane barrel burning rifling chewing 6,500fps (

Jalopnik Article

A Russian company is jumping on the hypersonic weapons bandwagon, claiming it can design a high powered bullets that travel nearly twice as fast as current sniper rounds. The company, Lobaev Arms, believes it can field the weapon within a year—with a little government funding, of course. In an article on the Russian state-operated news site RIA News, Lobaev Arms claims it can develop a bullet designed to travel at 2,000 meters per second. That’s the equivalent of 6,561 feet per second, or Mach 5.83. The cartridge would not use gunpowder but instead “detonating chemicals of a special composition”—whatever that is.

I’d be interested to know what this none gunpowder proppelent they’re talking about is along with what the dimensions of round and weight are. That thing has to go through barrels like a beast, I can’t see a barrel standing up to those kind of velocities for more than say 100 rounds before the the throat and crown erosion start to seriously degrade accuracy. So in my eyes this is just a PR stunt as opposed to anything near practical. Now if they made a barrel that can stand up to the velocities while lasting more than a couple hundred rounds I’d be extremely impressed at the metallurgy but I seriously doubt that’s the case.

All you speed freaks your rifle is in mother Russia!

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Yeah, Im scratching my head, either way the force of recoil would have to be insane Id suspect. I mean I can only really think in terms of grains of powder...but rifle rounds like .30cal magnums that do 3k+ pack quite a wallop, these puppies are 2x that, what kind of stock absorption and barrel compensation would we be talking about to get lined up for a second shot?

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Yeah, Im scratching my head, either way the force of recoil would have to be insane Id suspect. I mean I can only really think in terms of grains of powder...but rifle rounds like .30cal magnums that do 3k+ pack quite a wallop, these puppies are 2x that, what kind of stock absorption and barrel compensation would we be talking about to get lined up for a second shot?

I’m guessing it’s a 100grain or less projectile, in my mind I’m envisioning a 14.5x114mm necked down to 5.45 caliber or something ludicrous like that!
14.5mmx114mm:3,300fps with 980gr projectile:24,000ft/lb muzzle energy
7U1 subsonic 5.45x39mm 80gr 990fps: 180ft/lb
14.5 necked down with the 80gr 5.45 projectile:7,500ft/lb muzzle energy

The 80gr 7U1 5.45 projectile on top of a 14.5 would probably get the velocity but that barrel ain’t gonna be loving life!

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   
From the article, apparently in the 30's the U.S. was experimenting with rounds travelling 8,500-9000 fps..crazy

Is a hypersonic bullet even feasible? Actually, yes. In the 1930s, the U.S. Government experimented with very high velocity bullets. Springfield Armory, then a U.S. government small arms research and production facility, reached experimental velocities between 8,500 and 9,000 feet per second. That’s considerably faster than what Lobaev is aiming for.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
From the article, apparently in the 30's the U.S. was experimenting with rounds travelling 8,500-9000 fps..crazy

Is a hypersonic bullet even feasible? Actually, yes. In the 1930s, the U.S. Government experimented with very high velocity bullets. Springfield Armory, then a U.S. government small arms research and production facility, reached experimental velocities between 8,500 and 9,000 feet per second. That’s considerably faster than what Lobaev is aiming for.

Didn’t catch that part yeah that’s smoking, any faster and it’s a light gas gun not a rifle.🤯

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   

When I 1st read the thread title, I was thinking this was going to be some kind of magnetic coil gun.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Only way to do this (without insane recoil and not destroying the barrel) with current technologies is rocket propelled bullets en.wikipedia.org... This would allow the bullet to leave the barrel at low velocity and accelerate after the fact. Combine that with Darpa's EXACTO and its like your shooting mini laser guided rockets instead of bullets.
edit on 4-10-2018 by FocusedWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

You say that like that'd be a bad thing...

Damn, that's a smokin' hot round. Any significant size to the round and it isn't tucked away properly, that could break bones.

I'd be curious to see the results of those Springfield Armory experiments. 8000-9000 fps, that's some serious umph goin' down range.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Bad..no, I think it would be pretty damn cool, I think they have played around with rifle sized mini coil guns. I read velocities up to 2,000 fps, but the energy required is a limiting factor as to practicality.
I know they are hitting over 8,000+ fps, or mach 7 with the big magnetic rail guns.

I too, would be curious on the Springfield Armory experiments..if I dig anything up, I post it.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: FocusedWolf
Only way to do this (without insane recoil and not destroying the barrel) with current technologies is rocket propelled bullets en.wikipedia.org... This would allow the bullet to leave the barrel at low velocity and accelerate after the fact (our space forces will need this). Combine that with Darpa's EXACTO and its like your shooting mini laser guided rockets instead of bullets.

Damn you edited mentioning gyrojet before I could reply you’re sneaky you! That being said I don’t think this is the case the gyrojet was a big fail and they’re talking like this is for a sniper’s weapon, a self powered projectile is far from ideal for sharp shooting do to the vast differntial in muzzle energy. It maybe a hybrid where it has an intial charge and then essentially a basebleed projectile but with the size the projectile would have to be I don’t see it. I personally think this is something like a 14.5 with a 5.45mm 80gr projectile with some super fancy powder it should be able to hit the speed while being much lower recoil than the standard 14.5 which is shoulder durable from a sniper rifle and would still have respectable energy due to the insane speed without ripping your shoulder to shreds.

The Russians have one too but here’s a shoulder fired 14.5x114mm
en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   

I've been looking, haven't found anything yet... Hope you have better luck.

Maybe one of the gun enthusiasts chat forums might be a source...someone there has to know something, I'd think.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I've been looking, haven't found anything yet... Hope you have better luck.

Maybe one of the gun enthusiasts chat forums might be a source...someone there has to know something, I'd think.

I’ll try to see if Ian from forgotten weapons knows about the trial program I think he’d be the one to know.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   
i predicts - that the projectile will be a sabotted " dart "

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

Gah I didn’t even think about sabot that’d make a a fair amount of sense except for I think it’d have to be finned to get the proper spin as rifling wouldn’t cut it with rifling.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Huh...

That didn't even occur to me. You're probably on the right track, a finned sabot would probably work.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 05:23 AM
link   
It all boils down to repeatability....in some special conditions this is not such a big deal and maybe 1 or 2 or 3 rounds is all that is ever needed....basiclly a fire and forget....the barrel doesnt matter nor does the longevity of the weapon IMHO...research simply slowed down because there was no functional need to be any faster....still isnt with the exception of fire and forget weaponry.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

Or a Morphing round.

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I have a rifle that I can (and do) load to 3,600 fps, and yes, it does wallop the S# out of you with a .27 cal, 140 gr. Nosler bullet!
It's basically a .300 H&H Belted Magnum case, necked down to a .27 cal bullet.

And that thing WILL leave a mark!!

.270 Weatherby Magnum Mk V

I can't even imagine 2x that; It'd break your friggin' shoulder!

(the neighbors for a mile in every direction hate it when I shoot that thing!)
edit on 10/4/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I have a rifle that I can (and do) load to 3,600 fps, and yes, it does wallop the S# out of you with a .27 cal, 140 gr. Nosler bullet!
It's basically a .300 H&H Belted Magnum case, necked down to a .27 cal bullet.

And that thing WILL leave a mark!!

.270 Weatherby Magnum Mk V

I can't even imagine 2x that; It'd break your friggin' shoulder!

(the neighbors for a mile in every direction hate it when I shoot that thing!)

I love me some 7mm Mag🤤

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join