It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the body language lady think about Dr. Blasey Ford?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Body language is not an exact or even completely reliable science, true. Neither are polygraphs. Both work on similar principles.

The polygraph uses autonomic (aka, mostly involuntary) responses to determine truth or deception. There are scientific studies that verify that these autonomic responses are, in most people, an effective way to determine truth. The issue comes in that phrase "in most people." It is entirely possible to 'trick' a polygraph into showing truth or lie when the opposite should register. The most effective technique I have found for this is to literally convince oneself that a lie is the truth, or vice versa. The autonomic responses react to the belief that one is lying or being honest, not to some absolute truth/lie metric. In addition, polygraphs are designed to be used by professionals who can accurately interpret data, and even then things such as high stress from other sources or or details in the questions or even the way they are asked can skew the results. Finally, the difference shown between truth and lie varies widely from individual to individual... there is no absolute metric that can be used to determine truth, but rather it is the change from truth to lie and back that does the indicating. These reasons are why a polygraph is inadmissible in court.

Body language works the same way. There are certain actions and expressions that are, in most people, indicative of the mental condition of that person. 90% of language is non-verbal, and 90% of verbal communication is non-lingual. That's why texts and emails are so impersonal; they lose the vast majority of the communication cues that are employed in face-to-face communication. The way someone holds their hands, the expression on their face, the position of the head... these are all indicators of mental disposition. But there is a problem: that same phrase, "in most people." That's how actors convince us to suspend reality and believe in their character; actors are capable of manipulating these communication cues to present a more believable character.

But people other than actors can, and do, manipulate their body language as well. Some do it subconsciously, like Trump. He presents an aura, composed of body language cues, of power. In that case, he is also able to temper that projection of power with a projection of amiability as well, which is something we typically call "charisma."

All that said, Ford showed several slip-ups in her testimony that were picked up almost immediately by multiple people in the real-time thread on the hearing. The first was the voice; it changed form the "little girl" voice to a more normal one at several times. The one I picked up on was that her demeanor would go form terrified whenever Grassley was speaking to one of relaxation whenever a Democrat was speaking. She was initially using the terrified look when confronted with the prosecutor, but the prosecutor was able to get her to relax and give her a demeanor very similar to that she gave the Democrats.

I started watching the video, and it is quite interesting. The author is picking up on many cues that were much more subtle than I would be able to express. I strongly suggest everyone watch it and listen carefully.

As an aside, I also picked up on the discoloration in Kavanaugh's face during his opening statement. That cannot be controlled by any means I am familiar with. The blood flow in the facial area is completely subconscious. It was not makeup (as is typically used by actors, as they are not even able to control that) because the discoloration changed throughout his testimony, seemingly coinciding with his emotional state. I would love to see a similar video on his body language, however, to compare the two.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Kavanaugh didn't have many tells if he was lying. Not like the four course meal Ford offered up. He was pissed off, a bit defensive, but to the point generally, listened attentively to all the senators, sat forward for most of them. Didn't want an FBI investigation which is probably where his body language broke down the most but that question didn't necessarily change his demeanour. No terrified looks, nervous rubs or anything mostly just conveyed somewhat discontent and confusion overall. At other times he would sit back with a "jeeeeeesus christ" look or tone about him. Like "what is this madness?". Again no real signs of lies or anything, just disdain. Like a guy thrown into the mix in a blender basically and not much outside of that.

I saw folks on Twitter posting his family behind him with the presumption they were looking at him like a rapist? But they were his family, his wife and mother they look genuinely ruined by the whole thing. You could see that it was affecting family, and in Kavanaugh you could see some manner of distress (probably in terms of his daughters and the effect this may have on them). As far as I can tell Ford's parents have distanced themselves from the issue (for all we know that's part of the act or orchestration) and weren't present. Haven't seen any vid of any real support for her, but I mean all the Kavanaugh's were there, supporting their son/husband/dad.

But sure, if someone makes a video about it, then we won't have to think about it for ourselves...
Point is body language is no harder to detect than knowing regular stuff like knowing you are going to get laid tonight cos you're being flirted at or you're about to be punched in the face because they're puffed up or someone is getting bored of you talking to them because they're disengaging visually. They're simple enough for the laymen to read and so is most body language. If you're willing to understand it though, if not yes, a video with a self professed body language expert is probably the quicker route..!
edit on 29-9-2018 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This lady is too biased to be a. scientist. I’ve heard of her before. I found Kavanaugh to be too defensive to be telling the truth, whereas Ford was cooperative.
edit on 29pmSat, 29 Sep 2018 18:03:14 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This Ford lady is too biased to be a. scientist. I’ve heard of her before. I found Kavanaugh to be telling the truth, whereas Ford was defensive and inconsistent.

😎

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree
a reply to: djz3ro

Agreed. I saw parts of Kavanaughs testimony that clearly looked scripted...but not in the sense of it being faked.

There's a difference in real-rehearsed and fake-rehearsed.

A2D

I've seen the Dr's Testimony now and agree that hers also seems scripted. Both sides seemed to be following a script, something I find especially suspicious about Kavanaugh as he is a well practised public orator who shouldn't sound like he's following a script, even if he is.

I also found it a bit strange when he pressed the lady with the alcoholic father about her drinking habits.

I have no horse in this race, I couldn't care less if Kavanaugh get his seat or not, I'm looking at this, objectively, as an outsider

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Youre telling me...........

That a doctor......a DOCTOR.......a PHD ..........

Has no idea on the methods to get to the root of the problem with trauma and PTSD?

......mmm k..
edit on 9/30/2018 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: Fools

Well that's an exact science.
That said you'll find another "expert" that would say the opposite, so.....

Youre not wrong......at all........but she did bring up some intersting points im sure cant be denied from either side........this doesnt add up.....no matter our political leanings........

Love ya buddy........keep up the good work

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join