It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Busted Taking IEDs for a Drive

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to post this story but figured this fit as good as any other place.

So, I came across a story about a guy in California that was arrested with a couple of IEDs in his car. Anyone else hear about this? It happened on Tuesday, September 18.

According to ktla,

A Salinas man was charged with four felony counts after being found with two homemade bombs in his vehicle at a traffic stop in Brea on Tuesday night

ktla.com...

He was pulled over for an expired registration and from a couple of local stories that I've read, it isn't really clear what prompted the cop to search the car but my guess is that a couple of homemade bombs in a Toyota Corolla might have been the "probable cause" for the search.

The bomb squad was called in and disposed of the devices and the guy was charged with 4 felonies. He's being held on $500,000.

And don't worry, folks, the police say,

At this point, we don’t have any evidence to support that he was part of any terrorist organization

www.google.com...

How many people in California are busted with IEDs in their backseat that the cops don't think that it's tied to Terrorism? Is this a common occurrence?

edit on 9272018 by Tanga36 because: On mobile so typos

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well you don't have terrorist to want to blow stuff up. Maybe he wanted to blow up a stump in his yard, with some backups in case the first one doesn't work...

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Tanga36

Depends on the type of device. I had a classmate that used to make his own gunpowder and turn it into low power devices. He even sat on the bus on the way to a field trip, next to a teacher and made one.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: watchandwait410

Might be the case. I'm all for handling stumps in the easiest way possible! I wonder if the pieces of shrapnel that were covering the containers were intended to cut through those pesky roots that always keep holding on and refuse to just give up and let me yank that ****er out! Haha!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

You expect a teacher to recognize gunpowder, Zaph? 😉
I do agree that we don't really know how big these devices were or even what they were made with. I just found it odd that a 40 something, Muslim male with 2 explosive devices in his car didn't make it beyond local news. And I only being up the Muslim part because that would be such an easy story for the news to latch onto and run with.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
they left out what he had

makes me think it was pipebombs

but if they told us it was pipebombs we would know its not really news worthy

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

VIDEO: Man with prior terror threat conviction caught with active IEDs in vehicle

dennismichaellynch.com...

Saleh Ali, 47, was charged Thursday with intent to unlawfully make a destructive device, two counts of possession of a destructive device, and the sale and transportation of a destructive device,

Yeah not a terrorist. lol

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   

She was actually fascinated watching him make it. She asked him what it was and he told her he makes his own powder, and how he did it. That particular one was just a bullet casing and pipe cleaner fuse. But he made those, full size pipe bombs that he blew trees up with, packed his own bullets....

You know, looking back at some of my classmates, I'm rather surprised more haven't made the news.
edit on 9/27/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Nope. Nothing to see here. Haha!

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

I was thinking that it was probably just a couple of pipe bombs, as well, but still keep picturing him having a couple of old Howitzer rounds with nails and screws JB Welded all over them and trying to tell the cops it was an art project. Lol

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Back in the day, we could do stuff like that and it wasn't really any big deal. I think what is so scary about doing it nowadays is that the kids really have zero common sense and aren't necessarily that bright to begin with.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Could of wanted to blow up a beaver dam....... it could happen....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Ahhhh! Beaver dams! I forgot about those! I no longer live where I have water running through my property so I don't have to worry about those nuisance wood chiseling monsters any more, thank God! How I loathe them and the damage they cause!

But it is California and with the laws they have regarding the water rights, who knows what kind of issues you may run into for having explosive devices to clear a dammed up creek?

ETA also, it is Brea, California. Its in Orange county and looks to be pretty heavily populated. It's only 33 miles from LA so that's basically a neighborhood, right?
edit on 9272018 by Tanga36 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

You know, looking back at some of my classmates, I'm rather surprised more haven't made the news.

So some have?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

None for anything serious. A couple died and made the news, I think one was arrested for a misdemeanor.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I wasn't implying only malevolent reasons lol. I figured maybe you had some that made news for some cool reasons.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

No, but I've got some that have been insanely successful and do crazy things for fun, like climb ridiculously tall mountains.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Is it true most mountain climbers bring a bottle or 2 of everclear 190 with them?

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
One thing many of us learned young is that driving around in a vehicle with violations gets the police attention and often a traffic stop. It's surprising to see how many people with contraband use vehicles with violations.

I guess they feel lucky.
edit on 9/27/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Sometimes incidents like these are simply psy-ops type of acts. The guy doesn't get properly booked in and some odd reason the area federal agencies never so much as update their news page to reflect the conviction later on like they do with many of their cases.

Whatever happened to that manifesto gun store burglar from great lakes area couple years back?? Did anybody track his current holding facilities or trial turnout?? It's on ats.

Alot of these are made up, maybe to burn through the annual budget and buy some local PR. Others could be psy-ops. Arrests and court appearances are public record. All one must do many time is visit the county's clerk of the court website or call them.

I tracked one once. There were no records. He just ghosted.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join