It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Co-Worker Decieved By United Church of God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
A co-worker of mine belongs to a church called the United Church of God.

United Church of God

He has belonged to this church for around 4 years now. He was a catholic before. His children are 14 and 10, respectively. Now, since his new church does not believe in any 'pagan' celebrations (ie. birthdays, Christmas, Easter, etc.) his children are not allowed to participate. This must be rough for his kids, growing up with birthdays and presents and all, only to find out that they are 'pagan' (hence evil). This must have been rough for them, and I feel for them.

The church also does not believe in medical treatment. He has said his kids need to go to the dentist, but he will not take them there.

Women are not permitted to wear make-up, jeans, or to cut their hair.

My problems are:

A.) He took holidays and birthdays away from his kids. They partially grew up with them, all of a sudden they are 'evil'. How would this effect a child?

B.) His children need to go to a dentist, according to him. I am still thinking of a way to talk him into bringing them there.

C,) My co-worker is easily influenced. I can see how this church got a hold of him.

Has anyone ever had an experience like this, either belonging to this type of church, or know someone who got out of this type of church?

From what I understand, the preacher puts enormous pressure on his 'flock' to obey. I'm sure my co-worker does not want to be chastised.

I believe this is deception, due to the fact that he 'thinks' he id doing something right. I have no problem with him; a person can worship any way they see fit, but when children are involved.....

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Jim Jones , David Koresh, JWs, and that offshoot of the LDS in S utah/ NW AZ.
all sounds the same with same practices also similar to my experience
with scientology.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I really don't know too much about scientology.

Was it good for you? Meaning, did you agree with their philosophy,or did you find some of it questionable?

peace

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Are you talking about the Worldwide Church of God? Founded by Herbert W. Armstrong from Pasadena California / Chorpus Christi Texas? They have braches all over the world and they pass out the religious magazine for christians callrd the Plain Truth.
If so that is the nutzo church my mother desided to join when I was in elementry school. We suddenly gave up birthdays, Christmas, Easter, etc and start celebrating the Day of Atonment (you fast for 24 hours, no water either), Feast of Tabernacles, etc. Church was 2-3 hours long every Saturday. Man did it suck being forced to go to that church. You had to keep the Sabbath Friday night @ sunset to Saturday night @ sunset. While most teens were out on Friday, I had to stay home & do bible study. This church sucks people in saying they are the chosen and God has removed the blinders so they can see what is really going on in the world. The members or bretheren think they are going to teach the rest of the world how to live after Jesus returns during the tibulation/Antichrist end of world scenerio. If your friend joined he probably thinks he is living in the laodecean era and you won't be able to convince him otherwise. He'll think Satan is trying to decieve him. His kids will be sucked in as well and their lives will be screwed up because of that church. Mine was.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I can't find where they say no doctors, but it's not too unusual. I've heard of it.

They do say this...

We believe that Christians are forbidden by the commandments of God from taking human life, directly or indirectly, and that bearing arms is contrary to this fundamental belief. Therefore, we believe that Christians should not voluntarily become engaged in military service. If they are involuntarily engaged in military service, we believe they should refuse conscientiously to bear arms and, to the extent possible, to refuse to come under military authority (Exodus 20:13; Matthew 5:21-22; 1 Corinthians 7:21-23; Acts 5:29).

So they're pretty literal. Can't own firearms or serve in military.

At least they don't pick and choose like most modern evangelicals that try to be pro-death penalty, pro-capitalism and anti-welfare in spite of the teachings of Jesus.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Pagan celebrations , Christmas give me a break birthdays maybe pegan but not Christmas that church just is real wonderful , Christmas is the celebrationg of Jesus birth.......I get so sick of people dogging my man like that. Pegan , easter
the celebration of pass over of those covered by the blood of salvation and forgiveness,,,,,,,,,OOOOOHHHHHHH but I dont like the use of DRs. either so I may be able to go with that.

[edit on 23/2/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yes, this is a division of the World Church of God, called the United Church of God.

Maybe the 'no medical attention' part is specific to their branch.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
how about circumcision of infants?

From what I gathered the UCG only follows bibilcal seasonal festivals., most of which are tied to Judaisum. While CHristmas and easter (And new years) are tainted becasue they were used to convert roman pagen practices into Christianity and thus distort biblical truths.
www.verticalthought.org...
Yet the can celebrate Thanksgiving, and holloween becasue there is no such distortion.

But i didn't find anyhting about refusing medicine, or not cutting hair.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Yes we were supposed to pray when we were sick. And yes it was forbidden to take any form of martial arts because God was supposed to fight your battles for you. Which pissed me off cause I wanted to be a ninja when I was a kid.
Thanksgiving was okay but not halloween. Women could cut their hair but it was preferred to leave it long and not to dye it which sucked for my mom cause she was a blonde all her life and then had to become natural grey & brown after joining this church. Men were to have extremely short hair. Thus I now walk around with extremely long hair because I was stuck in this church during the era of big hair metal bands when I was a teen and everyone had long hair or a mullet but I had to have a buzz cut.

[edit on 23-2-2005 by BattleofBatoche]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The more I get into this church it reminds me of my sisters husbands , dad who runs a pentacostil holiness church , no cutting hair , yes on b-day , easter, and xmas, but no on all others , they tell the members what they can wear and who they can associate with and set curfews,,,,,,come on curfews this is not a police state, 1/3 of the yearly earnings go to the church , and so on and so on and it like the church in question here only reminds me of a cult in the guise of holiness.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
My experience with scientology was limited to removing a friend from their
absolute control. he was not allowed contact with his parents or any other
out side their org. . at that time their LA headquarters were in the old cedar sinai hospital. armed guards in the office complexes and on the grounds.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Any religion that prevents celebrations is crackpot.

Children are only children once. Your friend is taking some of the joy away from his kids to fill something himself- he's selfish.

Any religious extremes go against Gods grain. God wants us to have joy and laugh and enjoy the physical pleasures on earth. Nowhere does God say to live the life of a monk. (unless you're one)

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Sometimes this type of religious deviations look more like cults than anything else.

But if that is what people wants so let them have it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I hate those ppl that say God will heal us or we must wait for God to do this for us. Dont they realize that if we just let God do everything for us then there would be no point to living? Good thing Im Catholic and dont believe that crap

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well, after some more dialogue, I found out their church also follows the Old Testament belief that it is a sin to eat Pork, and shellfish (I believe that it is Leviticus). Hence, no hot-dogs or shrimp, porkchops or lobster.

If this church follows the Old Testament, wouldn't that mean they need to follow all the laws of the Old Testament?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
of the Church directly controlling individuals by misinterpretation of the Bible. Jesus's words say it all.

If the truth were truly known we would have no need for such anyway.

Leviticus-if one was to follow that book?

new topics

top topics

join