It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Garbage Can theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
The garbage can theory.

In life look for higher knowledge to give us something to grab onto to explain this great mystery called life we find ourselves amassed together in.
Some turn to religion,
other science
and others drink alot gin amongst other things and talk # with a friend to postulate the big questions.

Whats it all about? Just what is the mystery of the universe that surrounds us and who are we and where did we come from.
We hope somehow there will be a great profound answer that answers all these questions, but what if its no real big deal. I mean to say what if the reason for existance is prosiac to the point of being well......embarressing and dull. So here it comes....

THe Garbage Can Theory.

"The universe is a garbage bin that is filled with waste disposal thrown in by a superintelligent being we cannot see. The current status of the bin is its waiting on the street lined with other bins waiting for the pickup andemptying by a galatic garbage truck.
We on this earth are a microbes living on a microspeck of fungii at the bottom of bin."

I will now wait for contacts flood in from world renowned academic institutions requesting I submit a scientific paper. This will be up there with Darwins theory of evolution

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

I liked a bit from a Stephen king novel I read long ago ,I'm not sure but I think it was the gunslinger, it went something along the lines of.." Pretend for a minute everything you think you know doesn't exist and anything is possible, then think of this world being a tiny ball of dew on the end of a blade of grass in a field of a giants world, and one day a giant walking through that field kicks that blade of grass and...."

Its entirely possible we are that insignificant.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

possible, and probable.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

THe Garbage Can Theory. "The universe is a garbage bin that is filled with waste disposal thrown in by a superintelligent being we cannot see. The current status of the bin is its waiting on the street lined with other bins waiting for the pickup andemptying by a galatic garbage truck. We on this earth are a microbes living on a microspeck of fungii at the bottom of bin."

and the Mandela effect is the result of the neighbor hood kids kicking over the trash cans and in the process of cleaning up the mess the residents mix up some of the garbage.

replace neighborhood kids with raccoons, dogs or whatever furry critter fits the bill.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Not necessarily a bad theory. Fact is we do not know.

What's the meaning of life?

I don't know but it's often fun trying to figure it out, it's why I like the old Norse myths. Odin didn't go around asking people questions so he could get the easy answers.

He gave himself and an eye to the pursuit of knowledge... Answers don't come easy in life and if they do chances are you learned nothing.

The garbage can theory, I like it
the whole darn thing stinks to high heaven

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

That's a great theory.

It is no doubt wrong but at least it doesn't fall into the same trap of believing you are special and the point of existence.

My only suggestion is that perhaps we aren't on the bottom.
Perhaps we're in the middle somewhere, neither the worst nor the best.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It could be that we have reached a point in our evolution where we have"reasoning". I can't think of another word for it.
Because we can think and reason we are looking for an answer. But it might be that we are just an accident of the universe and there is no why. There is just is.
Do monkeys reason their existence?
As I've said before, just think on where the end of the universe is, the distance, incalculable. Then you'll realise how small and insignificant man really is.
I think about this often and change my mind with different views that come along and as I believe that we are not unique as everything that lives is made up of the universes building blocks I also believe we are not alone.
That being the case I cannot for the life of me believe the theory that all the colours and races of man come from a single root.
I lean a bit toward the theory that we are all on a prison planet and are kept isolated from the reat of the universe.
In the end who knows.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Or the Christian viewpoint that we are created by a benevolent creator who wants us to understand love and the value of relationships
That one day we will if we choose to be like and with that Creator

Believe what you want

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Dayum that Gunslinger was a good one wasn't it? Have you read the whole trilogy? (Maybe it's more than a trilogy now...I read it twenty years or so ago.)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Maybe this universe is what some intelligent being has dumped in his outhouse.. That guy should see a doctor asap !
Maybe it was a fart.. nevertheless dangerous one.

edit on 4-9-2018 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I like it.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

In a very real way, that's precisely the case.

Dear God, be good to me;
The sea is so wide,
And my boat is so small.

It's an old Breton, I think, fisherman's prayer.

The Universe is so vast that we are, indeed, much like that dew drop on a blade of grass in the field of giants.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'm thinking the universe is a constantly expanding uneven expression of energy where we are just a tiny eddy in the multi-dimensional swirls that naturally form patterns from the chaos which our brains interpret as shapes. It happens because even positron/electron creation and obliteration that shows up as cosmic background radiation is not perfectly symmetrical. So there are patterns created in the energy. And we're some of those patterns.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
oh, i thought you'd say "whatever you put in the your pc's trash can today, you ll need tomorrow." it is like a murphy rule.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Are we there, yet?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Great series and yes I read them all 20 odd years ago, I had a bit of a binge on Stephen king books, the dark half was great as was the talisman...another series that was a good read was the rats by James Herbert.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

when it reaches the limit of comprehension the repeating pattern the emerges from it.

top topics

join