It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School shootings and race.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Outside of culture, I am curious what's up with school shooting pertaining to race. I am left with the impression that it's mostly a white epidemic. Maybe it's just the media but that's the impression. I am going to do some research about the topic after I make this thread. I just think making the thread before hand might be constructive for me.

First things first. I am not a racist. Secondly, I am an asshole. Third, I am insensitive regarding a wide variety of subjects. Forth, I am only trying to learn to be a good person. And last, my agenda is to expand what I think about this issue. Hopefully in a way that will take me off a path of that if I happen to be on one.

So lets get this started.

White people seem to be shooting up school a lot here in the US of A. I personally think we have an epidemic of mental health issues coupled with a society that isn't entirely certain of the direction it wants to go on an individual level or even group(s). I have one specific thing on my mind that I want to address. I feel a lot more will be addressed too (and I hope) but I want to get my focus out of the way. It seems a lot of this epidemic of shooters has a correlation and maybe even causation from prescription medications. I am under the impression that white people make up the majority population of those who consume mental health care services weather free market or government provided. So I am thinking that maybe we are seeing this issues in the white community because whites hold too much faith in health care providers. Perhaps the corruption of pharma companies and doctors is getting higher then we admit. One thing I hold as true is there isn't a working balance between skepticism and trust with those two.
I don't know. Just thinking aloud and lost my train of thought. Just being me

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
"Prescription medications"

I agree.
I was temporarily put on a really mild antidepressant, and I felt the exact moment that it kicked in on the first pill.
It took away feeling anything. Which was good at the moment, temporarily. When I took myself off of them, about 2 weeks later, I was getting what felt like little electric shocks in my brain. I went straight to the doctor after working like this all day, getting head zaps, and the doctor told me: " we don't know how they work, or what they're doing to your brain, you can't just stop". I went back on them and started cutting the pill in half, then quarters, till I was off completely. Took about another week.

Imagine a teenaged brain on these things for months, or years......

www.theatlantic.com...

When looking at blacks' interactions with antidepressants, the problem is three-fold, says Jones, who has been focusing on depression in African-American communities since 2003. First, African Americans are less likely to take antidepressants, because they're less likely to ask for them. Second, many physicians don't want to talk about antidepressants to African American patients, as many are seen in centers and clinics where they are rushed through their visits. Three, African Americans don't want to be considered "crazy", so they're less likely to take the medicine.

The researchers also found that whites were more likely to be prescribed newer, more expensive antidepressants, which also happen to be considered the "first line" prescription for the disorders.

A research group at the University of Michigan and Indiana University concluded that physicians were 1.52 times more likely to prescribe antidepressants to Caucasians than to Hispanics for the same major depressive disorders.

I think you might be right about race here....

edit on 29-8-2018 by snowspirit because: Added link

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Everyone will say "antidepressants", and will be massively agreed with. Sure it sounds like a very reasonable theory.

Although, aren't people with pre-existing mental problems usually put on prescription drugs?

It's a classic chicken/egg.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

There's some teachers that recommend that overly active kids get put on pills, because they don't know how to deal with them. Many of those kids don't need them, they just have inexperienced or lazy teachers/parents/caregivers.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Maybe it's not the prescriptions as much as relying on an entity to fix your child instead of some good old fashion learning about ones own child.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

There's some teachers that recommend that overly active kids get put on pills, because they don't know how to deal with them. Many of those kids don't need them, they just have inexperienced or lazy teachers/parents/caregivers.

Yep. ritalin when I was 7 and wellbutrin when I was 16. I was a little asshole but drugs couldn't fix the issue. Owell I guess, was givin them anyway. I am scatter brained and I wonder if its from the meds or the physically trauma.

One thing for sure though, those who prescribed me this drugs knew nothing of me.
edit on 29-8-2018 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

"Prescription medications"

I agree.
I was temporarily put on a really mild antidepressant, and I felt the exact moment that it kicked in on the first pill.
It took away feeling anything. Which was good at the moment, temporarily.

Imagine a teenaged brain on these things for months, or years.....

It's quite a contradiction in terms when Politicians (lawmakers) ban mind altering

drugs as illegal... and the medical profession can dish out similar on prescription!!?

I am not a fan of antidepressant's in general, I think they are too easily prescribed

by busy doctors.

My belief is that when you feel any emotion then at times you have to experience the

flip side. eg. After you are experience happiness, there comes the time when you

have to ride the crest of the opposite emotion? It too will pass.....

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

And while some of those kids are overly active because they verifiably do have an issue with their activity levels, others are overly active because they're acting out for some other reason. So you can wind up addressing the wrong problem and medicating where it's not needed.

And even in the kids who do need to be medicated for being overly active (ADD/ADHD), the medication is only supposed to be a means of allowing other treatments and therapies a chance to work, not the only treatment by itself.

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

When I took myself off of them, about 2 weeks later, I was getting what felt like little electric shocks in my brain.

Some folks call that feeling the "surges." Your brain gets used to being soaked in serotonin. So when you stopped the SSRIs, you were experiencing a withdrawal effect.

It's good that you were able to ween yourself off the antidepressants before you became hopelessly addicted. I've been on them for nearly 20 years. I'll never be able to come off.

But then again, I have some serious issues. So I have to keep taking them for reasons other than being permanently addicted.

-dex

posted on Aug, 29 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
School shootings and race

Another interesting point is that the shooters
where of
upper middle to well financed families,
where as
BOTH parents were engaged with their careers,
rather than spending 'family-time' with their kids.
Face it,
low income families, welfare families, might
not have the luxury that $money provides, BUT
they have the TIME to be and get to know their own kids.

x
edit on 29/8/18 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ToneDeaf

Yeah. I think culturally the raising of American children is done differently between the races. Not entirely different but some things are stark in difference.

top topics

join