It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Inmates Launching Nationwide Strike to End Prison Slavery

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

You cannot seriously think that all laws on the books are fair and just to all, can you? To pretend like there are not silly and nonsense felony laws on the books is just ignorant to the facts.
edit on 21-8-2018 by BloodStainedGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Like I said, that's because their fundamental problems have no been solved. Easy to point fingers and say, "this is a bad person lock them up". it's not about being easy or tough on crime it's about solving the problem

If they're stealing things, then yes, they are a bad person. Their fundamental problem is that they aren't compatible with civilized life. There's a reason why dogs that start running with stray dog packs usually have to be put down... once it's in their system they are not only worthless as domesticated dogs, they're a massive threat to everything around them. Instead of sitting here and waxing poetic about saving the unsavable, we should be sitting here talking about defending those who actually are beneficial to society and doing their best.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Prisons should be required to have systems set up to train inmates in a work skill, along with any required certifications, and possibly some sort of tax break incentive for businesses to give them a chance when they get out.

Also the majority of prisoners should not lose so many rights for the rest of their life when they did not commit violent crimes, or if they are not repeat offenders.

If folks feel they cannot renter society and provide for families, or even themselves they will turn back to crime to make ends meet.
edit on 21-8-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

ahhh, well your position is to just murder everyone who commits a crime or cut their body parts off?

why don't we do what they do in south africa and deploy the practice of necklacing since obviously anyone who isn't perfect is worthless?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

they do have trade systems setup but sadly for the majority of people it's not going to matter when the government facilitates a system that prevents them from working

I think the real issue isn't only skill building but it's not identifying real issues with mental health and solving that issue (our medical system is incapable of doing this anyway because it sucks) and behavioral issues that manifest from growing up in a very bad environment

some people just need to experience compassion and they correct themselves, others need to be taught life skills they weren't taught when their parents were beating the # out of them everyday or sexually torturing them

I have been around gang members and lived in poorer communities and one thing you learn is that most people just want to fit in somewhere, that's why AA works
edit on 21-8-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think crime is an integral part of any system that values profit over life and isn't the problem itself but a symptom of a deeply flawed practice. Rather have a pocketful of money than a clean ocean. It is definitely time for an update

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Crimes are choices. Let's not forget that.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

it's an over simplification of a large issue, humans are not simple, culture and society is not simple and neither are their problems

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I believe to majority of inmates don't have a mental illness, it is a morals or crap attitude issue.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

you should try meeting some inmates then

majority of them come from broken homes, are lost or experiencing severe mental health issues

of course I'm going to assume that when such a negative attitude is employed against someone different than us (a form of bigotry) that you will use the outlier of inmates (the psychopathic killer or rapist) to justify your point of view when in fact that's actually a small minority of inmates

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I think it should be abolished in large scale all together

either they can be fixed an can function in society with some help or they can't and should be killed

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

So i'm a bigot for not being soft on crime. Not worth the discussion.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is something that definitely needs to be addressed. When even juvenile prisoners are being made to go out and risk their lives fighting fires for mere pennies a day it's clear there's something wrong.

When you compare our prison stats to the rest of the civilized world, it's obvious we're not doing something right. We have the largest prison population in the world while also having the highest recidivism rate. It's easy to blame this on the fact that we have now adopted a for-profit prison model. Don't get me wrong that is a huge problem. Especially when we allow the owners of these prisons cozy up to politicians and judges. But this has been an issue before that.

The core of the problem stems from our punishment focused model, while ignoring a rehabilitation focused model. Study after study has shown that the harsh punishment like the death penalty does not act as a deterrent. Meanwhile, study after study has shown that countries that have adopted a rehabilitation focused model does correlate to fewer arrests and a much lower recidivism rate.

What is it about this mentality in America that makes us want to punish the guilty and punish them harshly despite being shown time and time again that it doesn't work?

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Because it's not them and it makes them feel good to put themselves above others, like I said, it's a form of bigotry

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

To be honest I am pretty hard core in the punishment camp for some crimes... crimes against children, rape, murder, arson that kills people etc the upper end of the bad with criminals.

I am in favor of punishment there because there is little chance of rehab for those people, but so many of our prisoners are white collar, or drug offences that punishment is just not the right path.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

totally agree, I'm not even for punishment jail should be short term few weeks to send a message then on to full rehabilitation or full rehabilitation from a controlled facility

the people who are dangerous need to be killed ASAP

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Good for them.

They should speak, and we should be willing to listen.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

What is it about this mentality in America that makes us want to punish the guilty and punish them harshly despite being shown time and time again that it doesn't work?

It is the mistaken belief that if you act all macho on crime. Frothing at the mouth with a desire to kill and maim every criminal you come across. Your wife/girlfriend will somehow believe your little piece of male anatomy is bigger than it is.
edit on 21-8-2018 by karmicecstasy because: also it will for sure make your kids respect you more and stop the nagging

edit on 21-8-2018 by karmicecstasy because: An unhappy life makes one want the "other" to suffer more strife...

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

the problem right now is no one wants to listen, learn or grow. we already have it all figured out so why negotiate, explore learn, adapt??

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: introvert

the problem right now is no one wants to listen, learn or grow. we already have it all figured out so why negotiate, explore learn, adapt??

Well, I'm not up to date on the entire issue, but I would say there are probably many people that have financial interests in the system we have and those people have the resources to frame this issue in a manner favorable to them.

Same thing applies to the American war machine.
edit on 21-8-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join