It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school proposes ticketing students for using cell phones

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrutinizing
Great ideas, but why stop there?

Think big. We could do much better. We could dissolve privacy all together!
No more secrets = no hurt feelings.

Also, it´s unnecessary to say hello, please and thank you, because the other should know that.
What point does it make when you see someone saying hello? I mean, we both know we´re seeing each other.

I want to have a say what color my neighbor use on their house as well as what kind of bed sheets they use, too.

I see we agree on many things!

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

You can't compare an old landline phone to smartphone. Two totally different things.

Says you. With a long enough wire, could have been.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

How would they be good in class?

"Ok, now everyone pull out their cell phones and swipe to page 83 of the e-text. Billy, would you please start reading? Everyone else squint to follow along."

Squinting - bad
Radiation - bad
Distraction - bad

Squinting x Radiation x Distraction = bad^3

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Great ideas, but why stop there?

Think big. We could do much better. We could dissolve privacy all together!
No more secrets = no hurt feelings.

Also, it´s unnecessary to say hello, please and thank you, because the other should know that.
What point does it make when you see someone saying hello? I mean, we both know we´re seeing each other.

I want to have a say what color my neighbor use on their house as well as what kind of bed sheets they use, too.

I see we agree on many things!

I like your thinking. Thank you really is so old school, everybody now entitled. Some exponential global warming, then it's the hell on earth we've so striven for, safe spaces for all snowflakes and transgender gay Muslims, and why stop there? Prison camps for anybody that even mentions historic norms! After all, anybody that doesn't agree with me is a Nazi, and it is always about me, you know.
edit on 21-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: And furthermore...

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Let the kids waste school time with phone social stuff. Just lower my school taxes by the ratio of the time wasted. This should be a substantial saving.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I grew up in Europe.

You're quite right about the drinking thing, but honestly...........the US is pretty much a lost cause. Went to a birthday dinner for my daughter and her friends were there. One had an infant which she breast fed very discreetly with a towel over her entire front and people at the next table went apoplectic. Thankfully they manager intervened before the cops were called.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Tired of telling students to put away their phones? A veteran teacher shares tips for using mobile devices as learning tools.

This reads like that teacher just gave up / caved in and arranged with the situation.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated
In Europe, kids have a beer with their teacher at lunch. It is not taboo, it is served at Mcdonalds, it is at meals with your parents. It is accepted and there is no need to binge.

What a load of BS. What part of europe would that be?

Alcohol is strictly forbidden at schools.
If you´re 16, you´re not a "kid" and you´re still not going to drink beer with your teacher for lunch.

You think just because it´s accepted there´s no need to binge? A classmate got his stomach pumped being 14 years old and the reason he could not visit school for 1 1/2 weeks wasn´t because of recovery from that....

You know what I think? You only know europe from tellings & movies.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   

a reply to: Edumakated

So you are basically saying regular pubic school kids should not have access to technology but rich/private school students should?

Here are some of the top reasons cell phones should be in the classroom:
www.teachthought.com...

I've highlighted my favorites:
38. Digital literacy is as important as non-digital literacy
Self-directed learning will be a core tenet of future learning. This means technology, and the most mobile, affordable, and accessible kind of technology is a used smartphone
35. Smartphones can function as a productivity hub for challenge-based learning–reminders, to-do lists, calendar updates, social messaging, emails, etc
46. Kindle, iBooks, and other reading apps
47. Access to virtual libraries, museums, networks

So ... hard ... to ... learn ... how .... to ... swipe!

My goodness, those kids who didn't have the chance to swipe their screens and touch-type in text all day sure are backward because they had to learn the countries of South America.

My kid is just as good on his daddy's smartphone as his father and his father uses it for work all day while he only gets occasional access to it.
edit on 21-8-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

No I didn't learn from tellings (whatever that is), or the movies I lived in Europe for most of my schooling.
Yes I did see teachers drink with their students. This is not something that I heard secondhand, this is something I witnessed many times with my own eyes.
Yes the drinking culture is different there, anyone that denies that hasn't lived in both countries like I have.
Just because one student got his stomach pumped does not mean the culture as a whole isn't different. It is very very different.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Kids should be allowed to take their phones to school, for use before school, after school and between classes.
They should be totally banned during class though. Hand them in to the teacher, get them on the way out.

I'm not a huge fan of mobile phones, let alone kids having them, but they do provide some ease of mind knowing your kids can call you or the cops in an emergency.
They are here to stay, but we need to educate kids better on using them responsibly I feel and when in class the kids focus should be on study.

Teach a kid to do math before you give them a calculator.

Seriously our kids school tried to get parents to by their grade 1 children a calculator for use in class.
Save the tech if it is needed until they're at senior high school level ffs.

Any wonder kids are seemingly getting more stupid?
Yet sadly people seem happy to let them get stupider.

Starting to think teachers are like many parents these days.
"If they're on their phone/tablet/computer it means they're not bothering me."

How great for teachers though? Sit at a desk reading a magazine and let the machine do all the work.

I honestly think it comes down to too many adults have gotten lazy and selfish with their responsibilities to our young.
Too much of my generation trying to be kids friends not their parent or teacher.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Phones have no business in class..no problem with this idea.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Really. There were never any phones in any of my classrooms. Even in college. But there was a payphone in the dorm. With something they called a "dial" on it. Saved up my quarters so I could call my girlfriend on the weekend. Did you know quarters fit perfectly in a 35mm film canister?

Damn kids today.

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Haha, It's very seldom to see a pay phone these days, but in school it was all we had as well.
One of the poster suggested they should have the phones in class..to look up info.
How about they pick up a book and work for the info, learn how to find it all on their own.

35mm film canisters.. I did not know, another something rarely seen anymore.

edit on 22-8-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Meh.

My daughter's school issues iPads. I see what they do with them. It's a good tool and it makes for good monitoring of work done (or not done).

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Part of me thinks it's dumbing people down, but I consider also, it helps them develop other skills..I guess the new skills are more applicable to whats going on today.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Nice

I think I have that album in the record collection..makes me want to dig it out.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   

You'll find Boz Scaggs on it.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I never had Mobile phones when I was in school. Or the internet for that matter.
I think with the times though, phones and tech can be used as an amazing piece of learning for children. It should be part of the education process, but like it has been mentioned in this thread, only when they learn the basics of reading, writing and math.
In class they should be banned. Concentration and attention span isn't what it used to be. They need to learn that you can't rely on tech to solve a problem.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join