It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mach Loop advice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hi all.

I live in the NW UK just outside of North Wales (I can see the mountains across the river from my bedroom window). I’ve been thinking about spending a day somewhere on the Mach Loop with my autistic son to see what avionic delights we can witness.

I’ve done some digging online and there seem to be a few decent locations but my question is whether there is any time of year that is best for low flying and what the choice location is amongst those in the know.

I went to university in Wales and would often see jets low over the Cambrian mountains but I’m desperate to get as close as I can and my son will love it.

I note that the MOD website is very unspecific on when low flying will take place - understandable for operational and security reasons, but I’m hoping one of you wonderful people can help me okay the odds.

Peace.

Cado.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cado angelus

There's been quite a bit lately, and some unusual stuff going through. Your best bet is watch the weather. You'll have a better chance on clear days, but it's going to be hit or miss as to what you catch.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Cheers bro.

The weather here has has been phenomenally good of late but I’ve been working. Now I have some time off it’s been awful. Might have to pull a sickie on the next nice spell.

I’m intrigued as to what someone like you would class as unusual. Unusual for UK airspace or just flat out unusual - period?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

A400M and CV-22s. I haven't seen shots of either very often.
edit on 8/15/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Awesome.

I’ll try to get some snaps once I remove my camera from my telescope and find a lens. 😂

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

The Loop is on my bucket list. For now, I'll have to settle for Jedi, which is a lot of fun too.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hey Cado I follow a few aviation related pages on facebook and if you're a user of facebook I believe there is a page for Mach loop enthusiasts, I don't know the name but so you might have to search for it. From what I gather like Zaphod said it can be a bit of hit and miss as to what flies through there and when. I've heard some people spent a few days there and only seen a few aircraft and others have said they have been there for a day and been treated to a mini airshow with the amount of aircraft that have flown through there. I've been trying to get there myself but living east side of London it's a bit of a travel I'd have to take a week off work to spend some time there

YouTube has some great videos showing a wide variety of air craft captured flying through. with the UKs F-35s now stationed in the UK you might get lucky one day and see them fly through

Edit: just to add I done a quick search on facebook for an open group for the Mach loop, hopefully the link works m.facebook.com...
edit on 15-8-2018 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Thanks mate.

I’m on and off the evil FB but will drop back on for that link. That’s a shame it would take you so long to get there. I kinda take it for granted how close I am to such a lovely part of our island

We sometimes get crazy things flying over here anyway. Particularly when the Southport air show is on. I’ve seen a spitfire, hurricane and a Lancaster fly over my house, as well as a few typhoons. Also frequently see a Beluga overhead.

Just want to get somewhere where I can see them flying them like they stole them. 👍🏻

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If you ever make it over here, give me a shout. I know good bars in Wales and the NW generally.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It's fun to watch the low level stuff. There's just something wrong about looking down at them as they go by.

imgur.com...
imgur.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

See following vids for Cad East and West. Cad East is the easiest option as you can drive up. Limited parking spaces for a small number of vehicles and you really have to get there early to get parked up. See first Mach Loop link for Cad East parking guide.

Website from the same person.

Mach Loop

Cad West

Another excellent guide.

Mach Loop Guide

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Better go while you can. I saw a story recently that an MP is gunning for it. It's "traumatic" and "disorients" residents living nearby.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Better go while you can. I saw a story recently that an MP is gunning for it. It's "traumatic" and "disorients" residents living nearby.

Well if those residents want to come live in a town I'd be happy to swap places with them

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The most I get is a few Apaches going over my place, they head down from Norfolk/Suffolk area I think they fly over area then head up the Thames toward London or fly straight over the river and into Kent

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

I always love when people move near where planes have flown for decades, and then complain about the noise.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Also ignore any reference to a "Low Flying Timetable". You see people reference this but it has nothing to do with the Mach Loop. The timetable is purely for the Tactical Training Areas.

Tactical Training Areas Low Flying Timetables

Mach Loop is LFA7 (Area 7)
Tactical Training Area is LFA7 (T) (Area 7 T)

There are three areas in the low flying system known as Tactical Training Areas. It is within these areas that Operational Low Flying is permitted. This is when fixed wing aircraft are authorised to fly as low as 100ft minimum separation distance, although larger aircraft such as C-130 Hercules are only permitted to fly as low as 150ft.

Wales Tactical Training Area Map

From

Link
edit on 16/8/2018 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I went there a few times in the 1970s with my parents when the RAF still had Hunters and Canberras that used to fly the loop.
Hopefully going next summer for a few days when I'm in North Wales for a couple of weeks.

top topics

join