It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten million dollar fieldhouse!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Boy, you have hit on one of my pet gripes here Ed. I swim as my daily workout at the Y. All the time I see space reserved with teachers to teach kids to swim. How to hold their arms, how to cup their hands, how to do barrel roles at the end of a lap, how to swim faster.

I say it is much simpler than that. Tell them the one rule for not drowning in safe water, '' don't breath under water.. From then on all a kid needs to learn to swim or at least not drown in a pool is several sessions with a responsible adult so that while they are learning that one rule, they don't drown. I have taught numerous kids in my extended family by tossing them into the river and then playing with them until they get over their fear and learn the rest for themselves.

It's not as if we need to teach them all to be Micheal Phelps'es.
edit on 31America/ChicagoWed, 15 Aug 2018 14:12:13 -0500Wed, 15 Aug 2018 14:12:13 -050018082018-08-15T14:12:13-05:00200000012 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Was wondering that.......

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I think that a nation so severely afflicted with lifestyle related diseases, like obesity, heart diseases, cardiovascular issues besides, diabetes and so on, would be all to happy to have athletics facilities installed in local schools, even at a great financial cost. I would wager that as the children who come up through the sports system in those facilities age, they will place far less burden on society through ill health and inability to work in later life.

This marks them apart from the twenty somethings with no glandular excuses, who wind up on scooters and weigh in over the five hundred pound level at present.

A greater focus on sports and science will see kids general health improve, as they better understand the limitations that snacking and gorging will place upon their future.

posted on Aug, 16 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

What a crock of #.
It's not like these kids dont already have a full spectrum of sports facilities to utilize.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Yeah? How old are the facilities?

I only ask, because when I was in school, our sports equipment storage area, both the gymnasium and the sports hall, the locker rooms, and all the corridors connecting the elements of the sports department together, had to be stripped of asbestos, after it was "discovered" in a "random check" (read: Known about for some considerable time, but hidden for as long as possible from the inspectors, in order to allow school funds to be used for other projects, like the running of the place for example).

Now, maybe the facilities in the school in question are not quite the monolithic, ancient things that they were at my school, back in the day. But that does not mean that they are fit for purpose, or suited to the number of students using them!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join