It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten million dollar fieldhouse!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Our Local school district has decided its time to update a couple of our schools.
For the good of the children ya know...

A $3 million kitchen upgrade at an elementary.. ok

A $1 million boiler replacement at the high school...ok

A $2 million remodeling with new lights in the junior high....ok

A $400k court yard renovation at an elementary....ok I guess

A $9.3 million Fieldhouse plus interest...... wait, what?
Yup....

This is a proposed $38 million project for our kids and about 2/3 of the cost goes to new athlete projects.
Artificial turf for all sports fields and practice fields.
Updated football stadium.

Now I do agree with new bathrooms at the softball field cuz they use porta John's right now...

I'm not unreasonable....but damn..

Oh, and its tax neutral.... when the current bond expires they will just get a new 18 year bond so we keep paying the same.... whatever..

www.dekalbcentral.net...

Here's the link with pdf charts showing the vague project.

It shows crap like campus remodeling but it doesnt say exactly what but its mostly athletic based.

Sorry, it's a $36.8 million not $38

edit on 15-8-2018 by Bluntone22 because: Error

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Find out who gets the bid to make the new field house.

Probably a relative of the person that approved it.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Hmmmm, we hover around 25th in the world for Education, with no lack of money.

Sad I didn't see any of that 38 million go towards increasing quality rather than image.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Our Local school district has decided its time to update a couple of our schools.
For the good of the children ya know...

A $3 million kitchen upgrade at an elementary.. ok

A $1 million boiler replacement at the high school...ok

A $2 million remodeling with new lights in the junior high....ok

A $400k court yard renovation at an elementary....ok I guess

A $9.3 million Fieldhouse plus interest...... wait, what?
Yup....

This is a proposed $38 million project for our kids and about 2/3 of the cost goes to new athlete projects.
Artificial turf for all sports fields and practice fields.
Updated football stadium.

Now I do agree with new bathrooms at the softball field cuz they use porta John's right now...

I'm not unreasonable....but damn..

Oh, and its tax neutral.... when the current bond expires they will just get a new 18 year bond so we keep paying the same.... whatever..

www.dekalbcentral.net...

Here's the link with pdf charts showing the vague project.

It shows crap like campus remodeling but it doesnt say exactly what but its mostly athletic based.

Sorry, it's a $36.8 million not $38

That's it? My local high school is trying to spend like $50 million so they can build a new swimming pool. They want some gargantuan Olympic sized swimming pool. We have maybe 100 kids on the swim team... most of the town is like screw that nonsense. However, we have a few very vocal / well connected parents who keep trying to ram it through.

It got voted down last election with public referendum. Property taxes are too high and the school is already sitting on like a $100 million surplus... yes, you read that right. People want their taxes lowered, but that ain't happening.

The arguments for the pool:

1) Swimming is a life skill
2) We have a pool and it needs replacing, so we don't want to just not have a pool.
3) Black kids can't swim, so this helps them (I kid you not...)

We have not one, but two huge swimming facilities in our town. One of which is DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE HIGH SCHOOL. We also have a YMCA with a pool. Along with a private aquatics center not 2 miles from the high school.

The conservatives in town did some math and are like just freaking give every family a voucher to go to the YMCA or any other pool and learn how to swim. We have 5000 kids at our school. Figure 1000 or so are freshman. If you gave every kid a voucher that cost say $50 bucks, that is only $50,000/yr. We could pay for every kid to learn to swim for the next 1000 years instead of spending $50 million for a new pool.

This is an uber liberal town. Just mind boggling....

There is this constant hand wringing about achievement gaps between blacks and whites. I don't give a damn about a swimming pool. I care if the kids can read, write, and do basic arithmetic. Instead of pissing money away on a pool, that could be used to fund tutors and other resources that will have a lasting impact on these kids lives.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Honestly I think the fact that the football and basketball teams haven't had a winning record for ten years.

But I'm sure that grades will improve exponentially with this new fieldhouse.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Be positive. Think about all those construction jobs created and hungry workers spending money in near food businesses.

edit on 15-8-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

If they do their normal mo...
They will hire an out of state contractor that will not be available when issues start to pop up.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

They will hire an out of state contractor that will not be available when issues start to pop up.

Well, if they offer a better deal they'll get the contract. All good if they hire legal citizens or residents.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

A few years ago our town got a grant from the feds to put in wheelchair/handycap accessible curbs on the city sidewalks.
One of the stipulations was that they needed to hire minority owned companies to install the curbs.

So instead of hiring one of several local contractors they hired one from a different county to do the work and they did a terrible job. They didn't care and just hurried the work.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Our city's school system got almost half a million for Black Lives Matter. That's what the line item was, that's it. I might file a FOIA request to discover what those funds actually went to. Just like the Thurgood Marshall Housing First! initiative - 24 free apartments for chronically homeless. Should've seen their poster kids for this - one twenty-odd year old man with face tattoos and one middle aged woman, obese, on a scooter - wonder what life skills they'll learn and then carry over into society LOL! Another good use for an FOIA request methinks.

We also have a brand new Bucks stadium while taxpayers are STILL paying for Miller Park, and the new streetcar will open in November (in a snowy, sleety city) and will be free for the 1st year (so the bums can stink it up with weed and urine real good over the winter). SO many pant-down loudmouths get on the bus for free as it is because what driver wants to get cold-cocked for stopping them? One driver has my utmost respect - one guy was on his phone being very loud, he called transit police, stopped the bus, and the transit cops got him under control. Wish more drivers were like that.

That's Democrat-run cities for ya!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Well, if they offer a better deal they'll get the contract. All good if they hire legal citizens or residents.

We had a bridge installed across a creek on a walking trial. It could have been built local it is maybe 80 ft but they had it built somewhere else for 1 million and shipped. This is how towns and cities are managed, like someone said above probably a relative or friend that got the job.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: thegeneraldisarray

I've heard the same story with Atlanta.
They built a tram system that was free for a year and now nobody uses the stupid thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There are some high schools in Texas that have better football facilities than many colleges. We place such priorities on sports that athletics get the gold star treatment.

Never mind that in Louisiana many schools do not have air conditioning which is almost a year round requirement. Never mind that textbooks are 15 to 20 years behind, falling apart, and that class rooms have leaky roofs.

Never mind that students and student athletes have trouble reading. Recently, a school distrct in Colorado changed to a 4 day school year, taking every Monday off. They made the decision the week school started.

Parents are now scrambling to provide last minute child care. Guess what, the school district to the rescue. You see, they provide, child care for only $30 a day per child.

They made the 4 day week decision after failing to pass several school bond issues. Sounds like they found a way to get the money anyway. Pretty sure teachers who are paid salaries will now be in the daycare business.

All under the guise to save money. I can find plenty of savings in any districts budget without sacrificing our children's education. Disgraceful and we let it happen.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

It looks like that School District has some pretty great schools in the North and some pretty crappy ones in the South. I would suggest raising up all the schools to the level of the North Side first then you can get your Astroturf.

Link to Rankings

Seems the Student to Teacher ratio is a key indicator of Performance.

But what do I know......

edit on 15-8-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

So instead of hiring one of several local contractors they hired one from a different county to do the work and they did a terrible job. They didn't care and just hurried the work.

But don't you feel good inside??????

That's what really matters now isn't it?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

It looks like that School District has some pretty great schools in the North and some pretty crappy ones in the South. I would suggest raising up all the schools to the level of the North Side first then you can get your Astroturf.

Link to Rankings

Seems the Student to Teacher ratio is a key indicator of Performance.

But what do I know......

The school district in your example is dekalb county Georgia. I'm in dekalb county indiana.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

I've heard about those multi million dollar football stadiums in texas. The way I understand it those are mostly supported by the locals but I have no actual data to support that claim.
We had a local group protest to get the upgrade to a public vote. I'm curious how that will go.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

They are supported by locals. People love their football in Texas. However, why in the world would we pay for a million dollar stadium for the kids but when it comes to educating them, do it on the cheap.

edit on 8/15/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

I dont think money has a whole lot to do with the education kids receive at school.
My dad went to a one room school house and was one of the smartest men I ever met.

Private school kids get a better education because private schools dont have to keep the distracting kids.
But I do agree, athletes does get way to much priority in most schools.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Teachers can provide better results to smaller classrooms like one room school houses. Money is not necessary for learning, but you must provide the basics like up to date text books, buildings that don't leak and salaries for teachers which help retention.

As for private schools, a bit laughable, I attended a private school for every year but one for K-12. Their were many more distractions and disruptive students at private school than the public.

The big difference was the disruptors had corvette and trans ams and and left school more often than not and if they did receive attention for behavior issues, mom and dad showed up with lawyers. Private or public, students are basically the same.
edit on 8/15/2018 by DJMSN because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join