It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I may retire soon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
So with how much I have made and with how much I have put into my 401K along with other investments I have made, I can retire from my current job and try something new. I was thinking of selling this house and moving back to Oklahoma. Possibly to build a farm and do that till my end days. It actually sounds very nice and peaceful and is also something I know a little bit about. The only issue with this is finding a suitable replacement for my current job. This idea has been lurking in my head for about a year now and I have some names for my replacement but only one actually seems interested. And he is the most inexperienced on the list. But at a time I was also. So he will become my student. This is a huge change in the way I live my life. I don’t know if I should just rent out this house or sell it? On one hand I have my little sister that has a room here for those times she wants to get away. I thought about just renting it out to her but she has never worked a day in her life. But a change is needed in my life. I am too close to my parents who are WAY to controlling and hate that my little sister stays here to escape them. My sister does need to grow up but I am not here to see that happen. I talked to her about this for about 6 months now and she understands my reasoning. For the move she will be going with me as she has never been without parents on a road trip. I feel that this will be a good life experience for her. I will be a passenger on the way back because well I am the big brother and i’ll Just take a flight back after. Thoughts are welcome and any suggestions as well.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

gonna give you my honest opinion on how i would do it.

sell the house. dont need that stress

who gives a # about the replacement. youre retiring. not your problem.

wouldnt stick around for the parents either

just being honest.

youre trying to retire dude. as in enjoy the twilight years.
cant enjoy those years with heavy baggage.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Very good point and one I will take into consideration.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I really wonder if you want to retire or just get away and are using that as an excuse.
Sounds like your family is all up in your business.

I love my family but i've been glad to live far far away on so many occasions. If your sister hasn't worked a day in her life and you just let her crash, you are in a sense enabling her and her ways. Sometimes no is the best thing a young person needs to hear. Stop talking about what you want to do and do it.

I agree with Tiny, sell the house, move away. Not so sure about the retirement part. Maybe do something you really really want to do. Good luck!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Retire now when it's your choice. Good Lord, don't rent. Your house will never be the same. Especially if you are out of state. Have fun, and don't forget the wind generator for the storm celler..

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
and not for nothing but you asked for opinions so

Oklahoma??????

to retire???

to Oklahoma???

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Are you starting weekend festivities early? You're so CHATTY today.

Do you have a wife?? Surely you don't, otherwise she would have defintite ideas about your sister tagging along with you all over the place and crashing at your house all the time.

You're a curious one, Leggings....

About Oklahoma: Just returned from there; my sister lives there, in a good-sized town north of Tulsa. She has 10 acres and a house outside of town. It's beautiful. Peaceful, windy, sunburnt, quiet except for the coyotes at night, bright moonlight, lots of stars. Every time I visit I come home(DC) refreshed. If you aren't going to retire to a beach in the Mexican Caribbean (what's wrong with you?!), then Oklahoma is a nice quiet place to do it, no matter what TinySickTears says. People are friendly too.

edit on 9-8-2018 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Given how you say you treat your employees, I'm guessing they would heave sighs of relief if you left. Good plan.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Building a farm does not sound like retirement, it sounds like you are finally going to work for a living.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Building a farm does not sound like retirement, it sounds like you are finally going to work for a living.

Well I do work for a living but I would like to do something that interest me. My job is not fun and does not get me excited in the morning. I was raised in Oklahoma and know the land and animals. I think I will be happy there. It is time for a change in my life. I am tired of trying to kill the ants and making random signs in my backyard. Time to build a fence for live stock and make paths for hunting. F the city life and screw Vegas.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Ya I am chatty today. I have been going through a change that I can’t explain. I guess you could call it a existential crisis. And yes I am single by choice. Every girlfriend I have ever had turns out to be that chick that you only want for a night, or maybe I am just that dude. IDK but being single allows me to focus on me. Also do we really want like “allaroundyou” roaming this planet? Probably not lol

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I say DO IT!!!!!!

As for your sister, I would tell her she is welcome to come along, but has a choice. Find a job when you get settled, or work for you. Because if you are going all in on the farming, you will sure need the help.

How great for you to be in the position to do this. Go for it!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I retired in 05 and lost everything in O8 during the crash. Best thing that ever happened to me.

The challenge of building and inventing my new career has been a blessing. Living the dream and I wish the same for you, sir!!
edit on 9-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I retired a few years ago at 50. I still dabble in various businesses for fun, but I have backed away from running anything major at this point. Now I volunteer, coach and do what makes me happy. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: KansasGirl

Ya I am chatty today. I have been going through a change that I can’t explain. I guess you could call it a existential crisis. And yes I am single by choice. Every girlfriend I have ever had turns out to be that chick that you only want for a night, or maybe I am just that dude. IDK but being single allows me to focus on me. Also do we really want like “allaroundyou” roaming this planet? Probably not lol

I get it, the change you can't explain.

Sounds like if you keep choosing the girlfriend that you only want for the night, then you must not want a girlfriend. Why don't you just have one-night stands with girls who just want one-night stands? Then no one gets annoyed. Sounds like an empty way to engage with the opposite sex that you're having sex with, but different strokes..... But you shouldn't have any trouble keeping women from wanting to get too involved, if your adult sister is tethered to you.

Where in Oklahoma did you grow up? And by the way, they've been having cougar sightings the last several years there, so have fun with that on your new farm! Seriously- my sister's neighbor saw one in her "backyard" about six weeks ago. She got photos of it and it looked huge. Just draped across a woodpile. I worry about my sister's fat yellow lab now.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

My dad retired at 64 and worked at his wood shop "tinkering" until he died at 83.
He put in more hours at his shop than he did at a real job but I can tell you without reservation that he had more fun after retiring......

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I say DO IT!!!!!!

As for your sister, I would tell her she is welcome to come along, but has a choice. Find a job when you get settled, or work for you. Because if you are going all in on the farming, you will sure need the help.

This is terrible advice! Does it sound to you like that sister of his would actually WORK for him? She would take a paycheck but do either nothing, or the bare minimum to convince her big brother that she deserves to be paid. Read his description of his sister, does it sound like this chick has a work ethic?

Employing family members is usually a bad idea. I love your optimism though!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Retiring my ass.

Sounds like someone was confronted at the office for his poor attitude toward others and is looking to duck out before he gets fired with the "retirement" excuse as cover.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

All I can say is why are you worrying so much about who is stepping into your shoes... you are retiring.. finished.. Finale! Drop it like it's hot and keep running!!!

As for a farm I think that's a sweet idea. I grew up in the country though and understand farming is that something you could be doing when you are in your 70's though? Quite an intensive responsibility especially if you are animal farming, it's not something me personally would recommend anyone does in their retirement. Young mans game tbf.

My only advice to you is the clock is ticking, seize the day and enjoy life, that's pretty much what it is all about.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

First off, Congratulations!

Sell the house, add the proceeds to your nest egg or put them towards your new homestead in Oklahoma!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join