It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bermuda Triangle mystery 'solved,' scientists claim

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Whatever happened to the theory of methane releases causing this phenomena? I mean, it's not a perfect theory, either, but did that get forgotten about?

Most likely, it's a combination of many, many different things that are just a perfect storm (no pun intended) in that area of the ocean--it's never going to be just one thing. Here's an excerpt about gas bubbles sinking a boat from a BBC documentary on the theory of the methane releases:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
The problem with the Methane aircraft thing is that Methane is heavier than air. I did read an article a long time ago that blamed Methane for some of the deserted ships that were found. The hypothesis was that Methane, released from the ocean floor, formed an invisible cloud that clung to the ocean surface. A boat or ship entered the cloud, the Methane displaced the oxygen causing the crew to go hypoxic. I didn't give it a thought until I went to Aircrew School. We were placed in a chamber and the oxygen level was gradually reduced. We were given a task to complete. Mine was to write the numbers 1-5 in a column repeatedly. I started out fine, but as the oxygen level was reduced I got worse and worse until the last few columns were just scribbles. After experiencing that, I give more credibility to that article.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

agreed, I always felt the methane theory checked more boxes.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
Ever since aircraft no longer had to rely on radio to get its locations the strange disappearances of planes have stopped. The only thing that happens now is plane crashes in thunderstorms. I think a large part of the problem with the triangle is it would mess with radio signals causing planes to lose their beacons.

Great point and to back that up, when I was on the sub doing ops in the Bermuda Triangle we couldn't communicate for crap. It's like a black hole for radio frequency's.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I was thinking that too, I'm not sure if there are similarities of when those aircraft got lost. Maybe hurricanes or strong storms?

What about downdraft force from the wave when it collapses? It's all I got, don't slap me around too much.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

Sounds plausible.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

agreed, I always felt the methane theory checked more boxes.

It's a cracking theory and better than 'portals.'

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

indeed perhaps more potential there than another thread Im currently/ regretably participating in regarding religion. Ill never learn

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos
I was under the impression that years ago it was stated the cause was gas bubbling up in the waster, which then reduced the buoyancy properties of the water, thus sinking the ships. This could also interfere with flights as the bubbles are released up into the atmosphere. Not sure how bubbles / gas release would interfere with compasses and other instrumentation, unless what was causing the bubble release had some sort of magnetic properties.

If it were an underground volcanic eruption, then all that molten rock suddenly solidify on contact with water would generate bubbles and the eruption itself would change the local magnetic field.

Do you remember the disappearance of Flight 19 and the planes that went to help and vanished? Never been seen again. If I recall correctly, they lost their sense of up or down and their compasses stopped working properly. I'd have to look it up and could be wrong. The point I'm getting at is it seems like some very unusual conditions arose that didn't involve volcanic activity. Perhaps such phenomena are very, very rare and too infrequent for anyone to study? The only witnesses tend to disappear...presumably down to Davy Jones Locker...ahar ahar.

There was mention of frozen methane compounds on the ocean bed. They got frozen and buried over during the last ice age. They become gas when there is earthquake activity.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

It was only one that was searching for them. As for that one, there is evidence that it blew up in flight. The aircraft type was known for leaking fuel into the cabin area, and about the time it disappeared, there was an orange glow on the horizon, and I believe an oil slick and debris.

There's a pretty good theory that they actually crossed back over land and crashed into the Okefenokee Swamp. They don't allow any access to the swamp so no one has ever been able to search.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The Martin Mariner was notorious for that. It happened several times. No idea what the final cause was.

I've read that theory that they, Flight 19, ended in that swamp, too. Not sure how convincing it is. I'll see if I can find it, and link it.

here it is.

It's, at the least, plausible.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

The other one that makes sense is that they flew back past Florida, down near the Keys and ended up nowhere near where anyone thought they were.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Gulf of Mexico somewhere is where I've always pictured them ending up. The planes, TBM Avengers, had the range to get way out into the gulf. Even after milling about the sky.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

That's about the only thing that makes sense honestly. They wound up nowhere near where they planned.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Ah hell. Spielberg found flight 19 in the late 70s. It took them this long to figure out the missing ship part?

ha!

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

I've read a lot of the theories over the years and the swamp one is new to me. The Okefenokee Swamp idea doesn't seem to fit well with the transcripts and investigation. On the other hand, all that wreckage had to go somewhere and the swamp could be it.

It's a shame how the mystery overshadowed the tragedy. It's all about the missing flight and history has mostly forgotten about the men and their families.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Yeah sure..!

But what about missing aircrafts..? Rouge waves don’t hit the aircrafts and don't make compasses runs wild (as being reported). And why there aren’t any positive search and answer for the missing crafts yet??

edit on 4 8 2018 by Kintek because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kintek

When you get out of sight of land it's easy to lose one's sense of direction. It only takes a split second of panic to mess everything up.

I once saw a guy who'd lived his life out on the water as a commercial fisherman completely lose all sense of direction in white out conditions. He swore the compass was completely wrong and that we were headed north, when we were headed south. Same thing can happen to airplane pilots, with much less margin for error.

Then there's vertigo that has caused more than one plane to auger in. There are many very real explanations for the phenomena reported in the Devils Triangle.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

The “compass phenomena” as I mentioned is the weirdest one and I am sure that you are familiar with. It shows no direction when it goes “round around”. It definitely proves that the craft is subjected to (super powerful magnetic field).

This has nothing to do with rouge waves not even weather conditions.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Several years ago “back in university time” in lab, we’ve tried to (construct/re-construct the phenomena with lightning effects similar to nature on many different types of compasses. Nothing happened, no failure was observed….!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join