It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea making bomb fuel despite denuclearization pledge: Pompeo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
First of all, I have to say I do think Pompeo takes his job seriously and he really is trying to make advances on this agreement with Kim Jong-Un. However, trying hard and wishing well does not mean both sides share the sentiment. Many who are aware of NK tactics and often broken promises had a feeling the promises made to Trump were little more than distractions or a publicity stunt, in his own favor. All evidence and information is starting to point that way.

North Korea is continuing to produce fuel for nuclear bombs in spite of its pledge to denuclearize, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday, even as he argued that the Trump administration was making progress in talks with Pyongyang.

Asked at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing whether North Korea was still making bomb fuel, Pompeo responded to Democratic Senator Ed Markey by saying: “Yes, that’s correct ... Yes, they continue to produce fissile material.”

Pompeo declined to respond when asked whether North Korea was continuing to pursue submarine-launched ballistic missiles or whether its nuclear program was advancing generally.

He said he would be happy to answer the latter question if necessary in a classified setting, but suggested public statements on the issue would not help “a complex negotiation with a difficult adversary.”

My question, or rather my concern, is what happens if the analysts are correct and this deal was nothing more than an empty promise, another ruse? What happens if our President's ego is under attack? Do we go back to comparing who has a bigger nuclear button or will that be considered the good ol' days?

What do the diehard supporters here think, hypothetically... if things should go sour between the two leaders and Kim Jong-Un is exposed for having lied to our President, should we go to war? Will you support the President's warmongering if that is the path he takes?

However he indicated that no progress had been made on a key U.S. demand - that North Korea disclose the range of its nuclear capabilities, saying: “An initial declaration ... is something that is at the very forefront of what ... we think, makes sense to get them to a point where we can verify their full denuclearization.”

Kim Jong-Un has not even made a declaration of what he currently has, which is a starting point for knowing what he needs to get rid of... eventually.

How hard or how soft should we be on this? Will people here support war or is peace the only way?

Reuters

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
When nukes are on the table peace is the only way.

You don't win nuclear wars.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Lil Kim will have a convenient heart attack, or he will take a retreat away from the city while others run the show in his name, likely Trump will make a deal with the Chinese to do the act for him and for there part the Chinese economy would suffer if war break's out between there neighbors so it is in there interest, likely the deal - if one has not already been made behind closed doors will consist of the yank's unofficially okaying the Chinese take over of disputed ocean territory's in there vicinity but if one has already been made it will likely come in the form of some trade concessions and a stand down on some of the trade embargo's.

Either way Lil Kim is on borrowed time, he has done most of the necessary work himself already wiping out the other potential strong man in his family and allowing China to remove him and perhaps his sister also in order to appoint a more suitable puppet to run there proxy nation.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I dont perceive the problem with the present administration attempting definitive result oriented negotiations to diffuse a loose cannon in NORK.

Pompeo is incredibly qualified to spearhead and evaluate said negotiations. If NORK is just playing games again..it will be found out and nobody will be able to say reconcilliation wasnt attempted.

If they reneg on the deal, and we get the whole world to ratchet up sanctions etc...theres nobody to blame but Kim

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You can't hug your children with nuclear arms.

Or something.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Amen to that.

My concern is if NK continues showing their true colors, and after it's been built up to be the deal of the century and the Nobel talk, what if it REALLY irks the President? And what if the MSM propaganda start ratcheting up for a war?

Your comment is 100% accurate and deserves a million stars, but how quickly will people turn on that if the MSM tells them to?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Yeah have a nuclear war coz your president was lied to. Ffs.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I would say this is a last chance for NK. If they don't follow through with Denuclearization after pledging to then they are a threat to everyone. They have almost no econmy so I don't suspect China or Russia would want to be seen supporting a rogue regime.

The isolation that NK would face would send them back into the dark ages. Kim doesn't know how to run a prosperous nation. Without outside funds he is nothing.

I could be wrong about China and Russia. If I am welcome to Cold War 2.0. We can't force China and Russia to do anything. All we can hope is that they want peace as much as we do.

edit on 25-7-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

What about the ones they already got, bought?

Iran too...how stupid we are. And the over 3,000 tunnels N.K. has "hell" that's down there?
edit on 25-7-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Shocking! Not.

"Business" as usual.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

the only people that even listen to most of the MSM are "tolerant', "peace loving" leftist. If the MSM will entice them into a war against as the Boss called them, "the yellow man" wouldn't that be ironic, don't you think?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
What if... just what if, the peace talks were the preamble for the inevitable conflict between two trigger happy leaders? Are they trigger happy or do they just like to pretend to be? Can we afford to find out?

Going straight to war would have looked weird to anyone -- a slow deterioration would cultivate support.

North Korea does need a Central Bank though, they don't know what happiness is until they get one.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Trump won't let it go if Un plays him, he'll declare war for being made to look like a fool and his supporters will gleefully cheer him on while they sit comfortably in their armchairs watching it play out on TV and social media.

I'm sure if that is what ends up happening then it was part of the script all along.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
But, but, there was a cheerleading thread just the other day stating it was all over, they were dismantling it all..which I did not believe for a heartbeat.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Trump won't let it go if Un plays him, he'll declare war for being made to look like a fool and his supporters will gleefully cheer him on while they sit comfortably in their armchairs watching it play out on TV and social media.

I'm sure if that is what ends up happening then it was part of the script all along.

That's what I'm afraid of. I think if people realize now how crazy that would be, and they think about it and they say it out loud they would not support it, maybe it would be harder to get swayed later if it really happens.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Amen to that.

My concern is if NK continues showing their true colors, and after it's been built up to be the deal of the century and the Nobel talk, what if it REALLY irks the President? And what if the MSM propaganda start ratcheting up for a war?

Your comment is 100% accurate and deserves a million stars, but how quickly will people turn on that if the MSM tells them to?

So far the US has offered North Korea absolutely no incentive to disarm in over a decade.

Why would North Korea disarm when previous administrations have shown them nothing but hostility, and in Bush's case outright threatened Invasion?

Fact of the matter is the DPRK views their nuclear arsenal as the only means for their survival. The US will have to work hard to change their minds after 16+ years of lies and broken promises.

Strangely enough Clinton had the right idea with talking to the North Koreans and seeing what they actually want. Gotta be right about something I guess.
edit on -050009pm7kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

There will never be nuclear war...it's that simple...we need the war machine to carry on so that threat and fear must be perpetuated.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Trump will not have to declare war. The US and South Korea have been in a perpetual war with North Korea for the last 50 plus years.
All Trump has to do is declare the Armistice over. Which I do not believe he needs congress to vote on. He would need congress to vote for a war.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Has anyone considered that Pompeo might be trolling the media?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Anyone that thinks kim will willingly give up his nukes is intentionally fooling themselves.

new topics

top topics

join