It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK, how does Google do that?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I accept that Google is everywhere and into everything online but how far do they go? I just got a notice from iheartradio for sea sounds for Shark Week. I only use that app to get my radio station when it's out of range in the car. I haven't Googled anything about sharks. About the only thing I've done online is update my thread on Shark Week yesterday. That's enough for my app(not Google) to give me news? Can they also determine your habits on TV? I guess I better stop looking at Viking pron.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Google is freakin creepy. And getting creepier every year. Just wait till they figure a way to tap into brain waves.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think when you get apps like that off of Google's Play store, you sign in with your email (often are just always signed in). So anything you do that is associated with that email...everything else associated with that email "knows".

It's incredibly annoying and freaky - if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

There are articles of someone getting a new phone, not associating it with any of their accounts and ads popping up for things that can only be explained by the mic listening to background noise.

Meaning if you're talking to someone about buying a car, you may get on your phone and notice ads for cars even though you haven't searched yet. I'll edit in an article once I find it.

Edit: never mind, it was a poorly done article by Vice claiming it to be true after some half assed experiments. Here is their article

Here is the article debunking it
edit on 24-7-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

Yeah but I don't even remember the email account I used with ATS. That was eons ago.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

They are advertising the crap out of shark week so it could just be random. I only use I heart for colin cowherd on occasion and I get a notification once in a while.

But your right that Google is watching.
I looked up telescopes and for weeks after I get telescope adds on other websites.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

You use Google play store or honestly just have your gmail logged in.. then Google sees everything else. Facebook does the same thing they're just not quite as good at.. Then of course you have the vast majority of ads handled by google, and the entire internet crawled through by Google bits and then you use Google search.. Google sees you when you're sleeping he knows if you're awake, then your phone is like "he just stopped at McDonald's again for the third time this week!

There are lots of settings you can change to minimize this.. but realistically man is creating God on earth.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This is a true story...I set up a gmail account for Mom when she was still alive. She was clueless with computers, but wanted an email account. I intentionally did not use any of my information to set it up (email or otherwise).

Several years later I bought a new laptop from the computer store. When I got it all set up, I went to google looking for something. I looked up in the upper righthand corner...and I was logged into Google as Mom!!!

It was a brand new computer, without one trace of my travels on it! I had not set up any email, not logged into anything at all. It was my first search on a brand new computer!

I slammed the laptop closed so hard I almost broke it in disbelief!

There's NO FREAKING WAY google could have known that...without some serious (and I mean SERIOUS) illegal eavesdropping and data mining from numerous sources!

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
About 10 years ago I was going to this community college that gives students their own college email address. At the time, I just had an old flip phone. Fast forward to about 9 years later - new smartphone, new computer with new hard drives, new email address, new phone number - none of which were ever connected in any way to that community college or the email account it gave me. I decided to try out one of those private messaging apps, so I installed it on my phone. It pulled contact information from all of my contacts at that community college that I'd ever sent an email to or received an email from, despite me not giving it any personal information - just a username and phone number.
The ONLY two things in common between those two times were my ISP and cell service provider.
It's not just Google. EVERYTHING you do online is saved somewhere. EVERYTHING.

I'd recommend learning about privacy tools such as VPNs. Get connected to a good one, set up some email addresses through that, get a cheap Walmart prepaid burner flip phone, only use those to sign up for things you don't want your identity connected to, etc. The privacy rabbit hole goes much deeper, but that's an ok start for the average person.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

You got the new updated one.. It goes on what You're 'thinking about' so be careful and....

Change Your Thoughts or You'll Get What You've Always Got...

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Google does this through a algorithm that is similar to the same one youboob uses. Any search that you input can and will also pull up advertising that you are interested in. Kinda like coming here to our beloved site. I always see on the right hand side of the screen when in desktop mode advertising for throwing knives. That is because I search for them often. So this same principle can be applied to your thing.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Google is creepy no doubt but they are advertising the crap out of shark week with Shack so it could be just a simple advertisement and not targeted per say.

I know that every time I have turned on the tv that an advertisement for shark week has been on, even non cable channels and those cable channels not associated with the network that carries it.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Speaking as an on-line expert on computer stuff, I can safely say that Google uses witches.

It's witches that cause it. They cause it all.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Speaking as an on-line expert on computer stuff, I can safely say that Google uses witches.

It's witches that cause it. They cause it all.

I see what you did there
Well played sir

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Google is freakin creepy. And getting creepier every year. Just wait till they figure a way to tap into brain waves.

What- they haven't already? :/

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
they already have

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I think I said this somewhere else but I've had so many creepy instances like this in the last few months, I've just assumed that GOOGLE is now run by a quantum self thinking self working AI that can not only access our computers but read our minds. I'm over it. LOL!!!

I'm being a little silly, but.... also kind of serious

-Alee

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

I think I said this somewhere else but I've had so many creepy instances like this in the last few months, I've just assumed that GOOGLE is now run by a quantum self thinking self working AI that can not only access our computers but read our minds. I'm over it. LOL!!!

I'm being a little silly, but.... also kind of serious

-Alee

They have an underground vault with thousands of wired human brains that have been wiped of memory, working..always working.

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

You don't have to even USE Google. They are so intertwined with all your online and offline habits...prob a lot of your PC, isp, phones, dish, cable, credit card, banking, prescriptions, contacts, soc.media, youtube...etc...

THEY/THOSE process some, a bit or all of your personal info and demographics..even if you have no devices at all...and you know you do.

It might be 1 comp. or connection removed from you...that connects you by them using Google..through them and that profiles you anyway

posted on Jul, 24 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I accept that Google is everywhere and into everything online but how far do they go?

I realised last week that Google has the capacity and ability to see all the traffic flow in the First World. It's live and detailed to within a square yard with all the data streaming into Google's servers from the ~2 billion android phones out there. It's a mind-blowing flow of data...

So why don't they publicise this information? Where's the Google page showing all that live traffic? All the movements of almost every single android phone user on the planet is in their grasp and it's a very unsettling concept. Politicise it or weaponise it...the possibilities are endless.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join