It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software Help Needed Please & Thank you!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I run 03 on a Windows 10 computer just fine. No problems. Lack of "support" is a no-brainer. You don't need those guys. It's probably not an ideal situation as you will find the newer docx format can be a problem, but overall it will work just fine. Using 365 you would be beholden to Microsoft on a yearly basis forever. I have used Word since version 1.0 for DOS when it came on two disks and included a mouse. I have tried Open Office and similar clones, but there's always something that doesn't work right. It may be okay for basic documents, but try writing a book-length doc and you'll find that tables, for example, do not render properly or something else won't work right. It's not worth it to me to use one of those and wait for the time bomb to explode when I least expect it.

If it were just for personal use, I'd probably give my '03 another try on the 10 -- why not? But since it's for a specific job (contract), and they want me to have at least version '10, I'll just get the new software and be done with it. All the issues you mentioned above with the clones may be why they require Office specifically. Some of the documents we're dealing with can be pretty huge. Being that they are legal documents, there's no room for any surprises! And I guess as long as we're using Office, their clients can use any Office-compatible program on their end.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Thank you! Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the Microsoft brand.

But I've now got some great suggestions for anyone who asks me if I know a good alternative to Microsoft!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: narrator

Sorry for being a nag but I'm still not clear... the software I'm finding does not specific if it's 32-bit or 64-bit... is the software all the same? Will I be prompted during installation to choose 32-bit or 64-bit? Or can I choose it by doing an advanced or custom installation?

I hope these aren't stupid questions. I sure feel stupid!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

No worries! No such thing as a dumb question. The 32 bit is installed by default with 2016, unless you choose the 64 bit under "Additional Install Options", or some similar wording. So don't worry about accidentally getting/installing the 64 bit, you have to go out of your way to do that.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

What version is your OS? if its a 32 bit of windows then use the 32 bit one and the general advice is that unless you are working on massive databases/spreadsheets etc then the 32 bit version as just look at how much 2^32bits can reference 2^64 is just a hell of a lot more as going up each step from 32 to 64 basically doubles the number of addresses that can be referenced.

If your system has 4gb or more of ram then you should get the 64bit version of the OS but the 32 bit version of office should still be fine for most things....theres lots of technical crapolla about memory and number theory but you don't want to get into that sort of thing for most normal people.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I would recommend Apache Open Office as well. It's totally free and does the same as Microsoft's program and no issues with any document formats.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: narrator

No worries! No such thing as a dumb question. The 32 bit is installed by default with 2016, unless you choose the 64 bit under "Additional Install Options", or some similar wording. So don't worry about accidentally getting/installing the 64 bit, you have to go out of your way to do that.

So even I can't screw it up? That's perfect!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria

What version is your OS?

The OS is Windows 10 64-bit... but to be compatible with the contractor's software, I have to run the Office program as 32-bit. Figuring out how exactly I do that has been my problem!

Fortunately, Narrator explain that it will load as 32-bit automatically, so -- keeping fingers crossed -- I won't be able to screw it up

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
It shouldn't matter 32 or 64 bit in theory as the size of the numbers will be detailed in the file but if thats what the customer wants then give it to them and if something does go wrong you can't be blamed for using the wrong software and I'd also want them to lock down to a particular version as its always a good way to sue for the smallest difference.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

It shouldn't matter 32 or 64 bit in theory as the size of the numbers will be detailed in the file but if thats what the customer wants then give it to them and if something does go wrong you can't be blamed for using the wrong software and I'd also want them to lock down to a particular version as its always a good way to sue for the smallest difference.

That's very good advice -- thank you! They did specify '10, '13 or '16, so I have that much in writing with this company. But I will definitely keep that in mind for the future. Thank you!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Might as well get the 2016 version as it'll future proof you for at least a decade or so and licences seem to be cheap but I can't guarantee how legit they are.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

With Windows 10 come a "new" Office..... it's pretty close to the old... Docs I have or now create are made on an almost identical MS Word template.

PS.... But nothing like the total 365-ie: EXCEL. etc
edit on 19-7-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Might as well get the 2016 version as it'll future proof you for at least a decade or so and licences seem to be cheap but I can't guarantee how legit they are.

That's what I was thinking. I'd rather do it once and have it last as long as possible...

For obvious reasons!!! I'm just not good at figuring all this out.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Hmmm... I think mine may have too now that you mention it. I remember reading something about that. We'll find out soon enough! I'm just waiting for hubby to get home to help me actually boot up the new one and switch the DSL over and all that good stuff. I don't know he understands all this but somehow he does!

Whatever version comes with it probably won't be enough for my purposes... which are to simply make the company happy... but I will check it out. Thank you!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Hmmm... I think mine may have too now that you mention it. I remember reading something about that. We'll find out soon enough! I'm just waiting for hubby to get home to help me actually boot up the new one and switch the DSL over and all that good stuff. I don't know he understands all this but somehow he does!

Whatever version comes with it probably won't be enough for my purposes... which are to simply make the company happy... but I will check it out. Thank you!

I had a struggle with the new one (panic at 1st!)...at 1St hoping all my pdf's,. doc,. docx, rtf files (20 years worth) would be read correctly... They were.

Good luck B... Let's us all know how it goes for your!

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Thank you for the luck! I'm getting a little ansty waiting, now that I think I have all my ducks in a row. I've printed out a couple articles with steps for starting up a new computer, so I think I'm ready. (Famous last words, eh?)

Now I'm just trying to reorganize my desk for actually working from it again, AND dedicate some work space for Hubby, who wants to try out CAD. He knows how to draw blueprints the old fashioned way, and can read them, but he's hoping to shift his knowledge and experience out of working in the field (the hard stuff!) to the prep and planning side. The position is open for him, so this new computer is going to be doing double-duty for us! At least for a while. If he likes it and decides to go for it, then we'll have to get him his own puter. His employer may even provide one for him. They're pretty awesome that way.

I will definitely let everyone knows how it goes... thanks again for the luck. I'm counting on it now

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Since you have different needs it could be time to setup 2 different logins as what one person likes is like drinking acid to the next.

Sounds pretty easy a job but its normally those little things that cause the trouble.

If he gets given a new machine he's got to know how to export and import the cad data and that can be 'fun' and thats before you have to provide the physical space for the machine and the effort of connectiong it to your network and all the permissions issues that can pop up.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I solved the 'Office' problem by going to the subscription service ($99.00 a year). It allows me to download the latest verison of micosoft products onto 5 devices (either Mac or PC). Works well for me and I use them on both platforms, desktop and laptop.

It may help simplify.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

CAD? Holy crap! For me? That's like sticking a fork in my eye!!!! Blueprint readers are a special breed....

Good luck again!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Sweet success -- finally!!! Computer is up and running, Microsoft Office 32-bit is installed and running, and I'm ready to go!

Thank you soooooo much to everyone for the words of wisdom. I will be able to make the 9:00 a.m. orientation/training call this morning with a couple hours to spare... Whew!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join