It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador in talks to evict Julian Assange, its ‘stone in the shoe’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
6 years on held up at the Ecuadoring embassy and it appears it's all coming to an end:

Britain is in high-level talks with Ecuador in an attempt to remove Julian Assange from its London embassy, where he has been sheltering for more than six years.

Ministers and senior Foreign Office officials are locked in discussions over the fate of Assange, the founder and editor of WikiLeaks, who claimed political asylum from Ecuador in 2012 and who believes he will be extradited to the United States if he leaves the embassy in Knightsbridge, central London.

Sir Alan Duncan, the Foreign Office minister, is understood to be involved in the diplomatic effort, which comes weeks before a visit to the UK by Lenin Moreno, the new Ecuadorean president, who has called Assange a “hacker”, an “inherited problem” and a “stone in the shoe”.

Source

Not surprised as it was bound to happen at some point. 6 years is a long time and I couldn't imagine the political and financial cost to Ecuador as well as the cost to Assange to date. It also doesn't help that Assange himself has little more to offer anything of value to the big political wigs abroad. Wikileaks peaked years ago. I guess my question is, where to next? Supporters are calling for Trump to pardon Assange and allow him safe and legal passange into the United States but there's been no indication this would happen at all. It also doesn't help the fact that the Trump administration hasn't been too friendly to leakers and whistleblowers. Trump himself called Bradley Manning, a key whistleblower of Wikileaks, a traitor and hasn't made any indication of doing anything for Assange. Thing's aren't looking up at all:

Who knows, maybe the Kremlin will organize a rescue mission? It seems to be the only party willing to accommodate him at this point. Everybody else has turned their back. He's no longer useful.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Why would Assange, as an Australian citizen want to go to the US ?

As Australia is part of the British Commonwealth, he could be dealt with in England.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I wouldn't pardon him either.
Let him go take care of those rape allegations first.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Does the U.S. have a warrant out for him?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Why doesn't Assange go to his buddy trump for some help?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Why is Assange even hiding anymore ?

Slam dunk it was Rushya.

ammiright?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Last year US Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Mr Assange’s arrest was a “priority”, while CIA director Mike Pompeo said: “It’s time to call out WikiLeaks for what it really is: a non-state hostile intelligence service often abetted by state actors like Russia.”

Despite the strong words, there remains no public criminal case against either Mr Assange or his organisation.

After losing a bid to overturn a UK arrest warrant, it is unclear how the controversial whistleblower will come to leave the Ecuadorian embassy

www.independent.co.uk...

So the UK has a warrant out for his arrest, the US, not fully certain but Sessions has made it clear it's on the to-do list to bring him in. There's a reason Assange refuses to leave that embassy, he's fully aware of what would be waiting out there for him. 6 years on, still in that embassy.

I also just learned that yes the president can pardon non-american citizens.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

How do you feel about Assange Neo? Do you think Trump should pardon him and allow him to seek refuge in the US? (Assuming the UK and allies don't follow suit and Russia is not an option).

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

How do you feel about Assange Neo?

I like him about as much as I like the party of the donkey which is not very much.

Do you think Trump should pardon him and allow him to seek refuge in the US? (

Works for me. If for no other reason it would piss off his haters.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The warrant out of the UK is solely for jumping bail. He tried to argue that since Sweden dropped the arrest warrant the UK should as well. Apparently he is not comprehending how laws work but I digress.

As for being booted out of the embassy that was only a matter of time. What he was doing in the embassy was violating diplomatic agreements IE using an embassy for acts that are incompatible with diplomatic missions.

The charges in Sweden, contrary to what people claim, did not go away. The prosecutor simply suspended the investigation until such time as Assange can be properly interviewed (and by properly I mean not on foreign soil where Sweden has no jurisdiction).

As for the US I really do wonder where people get the insane notion that the 1st amendment some how makes them immune from prosecution when they violate federal law. Even the journalists involved with the Pentagon papers were charged although the prosecutor made a technical error and the charges were dropped but not refiled.

The 1st amendment allows the media to go after the government without repercussions. It doesnt allow them immunity when printing classified information.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Does the U.S. have a warrant out for him?

I still cannot answer that question.
He is guilty of upholding the US's own First Amendment and exposing the secrets of the Soetero admin.
2 counts then.
One just cant go around exposing the evil of that administration .
You know that.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Wish I had a dollar for every time the Ecuadorian government has discussed this.
I would have a bunch o brunch
Invite all ATS members...

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Yet one wonders why Assange was kissing trumps behind so much?

Maybe the first three letters of his last name, aren’t ass for nothing

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Wish I had a dollar for every time the Ecuadorian government has discussed this.

It's all gotta come to an end at some point Goth. He can't be cooped up there forever.... certainly not for another 6 years.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Yet one wonders why Assange was kissing trumps behind so much?

Maybe the first three letters of his last name, aren’t ass for nothing

I guess exposing corruption is only good if they are exposing the opposing teams corruption??

kinda weird....

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

He can walk out the door.
Any time he wants.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

He can walk out the door.
Any time he wants.

That he can yes.... given we're all up in the air as to what he could be charged with or found guilty of, he can just take the plunge and bank on nothing happening I guess.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Jumping bail would seem to be the crime.
At this point.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Now would be the time to come to the US.

Pardon him and let him see some sites before sending him first class to wherever he wants to go.

Thank him

edit on 7 15 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join