It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What exoplanet might reply us back?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
So.. we have sent radio messages to Gliese 273 b and the Gliese 581 system, where planet 'g' hasn't been confirmed yet but it is potentially habitable.

Which of these exoplanets, if any, do you think might reply us back?

Put in other words, which of these exoplanets do you think it might have intelligent life?

I recently made a video about this topic, just in case someone wants to check it out: www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: alfa015

The one with life

Put in other words, which of these exoplanets do you think it might have intelligent life?

The one with intelligent life probably wouldn't respond

edit on 6-7-2018 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Probably populated by the same kind of greed driven paranoid, self-centered ego hungry F* faces that inhabit this world?

Therefore they (public) won't hear about us.

Same Model, different looking dudes (Maybe).
edit on 6-7-2018 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I think they have already been making contact with the human race...probably for thousands of years. The USAF's, Project Blue Book, couldn't explain 6 % of the many sightings it investigated over the course of 22 years.

Project Blue Book remained in effect for over twenty-two years and investigated reports of 12,618 sightings. Unexplained sightings ranged between the official Project Blue Book report of 6 per cent to UFOlogist estimates of 54 per cent. Despite the wide variance in unexplained sightings

Many researchers feel that Project Blue Book was set up to discredit the UFO phenomenon, in order to keep the truth from the general public.

In short, the Air Force seemed to repeatedly exhibit bias and to conduct shoddy methodology in lieu of professionally scientific investigation. The methods used gave the writers the impression that there was political pressure to influence the investigation and conclusions of the Project Blue Book staffs. It is difficult to determine whether or not pressure was applied to Project Blue Book by any governmental agency other than the Air Force. We do know that the Robertson panel met in 1953 under the auspices of the CIA and that the records of this meeting are "mysteriously" clipped from the original Project Blue Book files, but the writers have not been able to determine who was responsible for this censorship. We also know that Dr. Edward Condon was selected by the Department of Defense to conduct the investigation which ultimately led to the demise of Project Blue Book. Why was Dr. Condon, of all qualified scientists, selected? Was it simply because he was a renowned scientist? Was it because he was formerly Assistant Director of the Atomic Bomb Project at Los Alamos Proving Grounds and could be trusted with sensitive information? Or was it because Dr. Condon, in his previous capacity, might have been affiliated with another governmental agency such as the CIA?

www.cufon.org...

By the way, have you heard the story on the mysterious signal that came from the direction of star HD164595?

Last Friday, a report by Paul Gilster at Centauri Dreams announced that a radio telescope in Russia received faint transmissions from deep space, leading some to speculate that our call into the cosmos has finally been returned. The RATAN-600 telescope in Zelenchukskaya, Russia received a signal from a star system 95 light years away in the constellation Hercules. The signal came from the same direction we sent our first postcard to the stars, the Aricebo Message, back in 1974.

The mysterious signals came from the direction of HD164595, a star very similar to our own. Although HD164595 is about 100 million years younger and its average temperature is 12 kelvin hotter. The star system is known to have one Neptune-like planet in its orbit and possibly others. Given the power of the signal, Gilster believes it could have been sent from a civilization that is technologically advanced enough to harness the entire power of its own star.

www.good.is...

edit on 7/6/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: alfa015
So.. we have sent radio messages to Gliese 273 b and the Gliese 581 system, where planet 'g' hasn't been confirmed yet but it is potentially habitable.

Don't forget, the intelligent civilization would need to currently be there.

What I mean to say is that while there might be plenty of habitable worlds out there where life could -- and maybe has/will -- thrive to become a technological civilization, the odds that it the civilization exists at this current moment in the history of the universe are slim for any given planet.

Maybe they had a civilization, but it died out 2 million years ago (a blink of an eye in cosmic time scales). Or maybe they will have a technological civilization in a short 5 million years, but humans will be long extinct by then. So finding another civilization is not only a question of the physical "Place" (i.e., the large number of planets that might support a civilization), but it also might be a question of "Time".

There might have been dozens (hundreds?) of civilizations that had come and gone in our galaxy in the past, say, 300 million years (still a relatively short time), and maybe that many more will eventually exist sometime in the next 300 million years -- but maybe only a scarce few exist at this present time, and they may be on the opposite side of the galaxy.

edit on 6/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

110% agree with you. Are here, always were, and continue to come and go...

And don't want to eat, conquer, mate or enslave us....they could've for a million years and haven't, aren't and wont

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Are these planets close enough for two-way communications like that?

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
We can send a message over light spectrum, so fairly quickly.

Sure, we might have to wait multiple Earth years, maybe decades, but there are star systems within 100 light years of us.

One or two generations for a long term communication mission, doesn't seem too bad, imo.

I'm just not sure if being the first to reach outward, is the smart idea.

Besides, I got a curve ball for you.

If one were to combine the concept of time travel, with long range light wave communication, could we not, go back in time, and make sure that our conversation is a "live" conversation?

Send question Year 1
Receive answer Year 2459
Time travel to Year 1 + a few days
Send followup to answer, that was originally received in Year 2459
Return to present in Year 2459, just after you went back

Giggle, as flabbergasted responder has no idea how we just responded instantly from across the vastness of space.
(If one participant in the conversation has time travel and the other doesn't... It could lead to an interesting situation. Do you tell them how? Or do you keep playing God?)

If both have it and can utilize it, how does the conversation go from there?

*As an added note to this post, I'm not interested in any solicitations from "time travelers" Thanks.
edit on 6-7-2018 by Archivalist because: feel good

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

I see no particular reason at this point, to assume that any of the bodies we have transmitted to so far, will message us back. I do not expect that these messages as have been sent already, will illicit responses, not because I believe that no planet out there has intelligent life on it, but rather that it is SUPREMELY unlikely on a statistical basis, that one of the few planets we have hailed so far, would be one of the ones to actually contain life of any kind, leave alone life of an intelligent nature. Perhaps when we have opened up hailing frequencies, so to speak, with most of the orbiting bodies we can identify at range, I would expect for some sort of reply to come about, but not right at the start of the effort.

I do, however, stand absolutely ready to be both joyously surprised, and enveloped in wonder, should a message return from any of the targeted locations.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Gliese 273 b and the Gliese 581 system

Actually, you won't find advanced life, especially intelligent life around stars like either of those.

Both stars are Class M3.x, which means they are very small, very dark, cold stars whose planets, if in the Habitable Zone, are tidally locked (like Earth's moon). Being such small, cold stars, there just isn't enough energy to support advanced life forms. What is far more likely is some sort of algae, or "slime" exists at either of those locations, but, it is still life.

Advanced, perhaps sentient life is better looked for around "K", "G", or "F" class stars...virtually ALL others are either too cold, or too short lived for life to advance much.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Proxima B is only 4 ¼ light years away. Has METI started beaming its messages to it yet?

Article: Scientists plan to send greetings to other worlds

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It would be just as exciting if we picked up intelligent communications that just happened to be passing by Earth, wouldn't it? That wouldn't change our day-to-day lives, but many belief systems would need to be adjusted, or scrapped entirely.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Call me a cynic, but I don't expect any results from SETI, ever.

The whole scanning the sky for radio waves thing just seems a little daft considering any reasonably advanced civilization would have had to developed their technology more or less parallel with us (think of races like in Star Trek, most of them have a similar level of technology, something that probably won't happen in reality. Other civilizations may be much younger, or older than us). I know people say that we've been broadcasting TV signals and radio waves into space for years and years, but those signals don't hold, they get weaker and more diffused with distance. Eventually they will probably fade to nothing more than noise.

I think we will discover traces of extra terrestrial civilizations through bio markers , or spectral interferometry, or something similar. The ability to read spectra is going to become so much more advanced soon we'll be able to tell whats in the atmosphere around planet orbiting other stars with a great deal of accuracy. Perhaps we could detect signatures of civilization going through an industrial age via the chemicals getting pumped into their atmosphere. Just an example

edit on 8/7/2018 by Smugallo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Smugallo

SETI no longer only searches for radio signals, but also across other parts of the EM spectrum, including light (Optical SETI), gamma rays, and other potential methods of communication.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
It would be just as exciting if we picked up intelligent communications that just happened to be passing by Earth, wouldn't it? That wouldn't change our day-to-day lives, but many belief systems would need to be adjusted, or scrapped entirely.

If by "belief systems" you mean organized religion, I don't think it would make that big of a difference.

Most religions have already reconciled with the idea that other intelligent ETs almost certainly exist out there. I don't think it would be a death blow to religions if ET is discovered; religion will just adapt to it, and that adaptation has already begun as a result of our current knowledeg of the size and scope of the universe.

edit on 8/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

What exoplanet might reply us back?

Er none. No planet will ever respond to our signals. However, it might be possible that some day in the future, an intelligent species living on one of the exo-planets and having the right technology might respond to us?

The planet itself won't respond.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Are these planets close enough for two-way communications like that?

yes

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

FRB121102 - Changed nothing
edit on 9-7-2018 by Archivalist because: wow

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Smugallo

I fed them an incident of ETI proof last year.

They didn't respond.

Apparently, they also didn't care.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
a reply to: carewemust

FRB121102 - Changed nothing

There is really no evidence that FRB121102 is necessarily an alien signal. Sure -- it is within the realm of possibility that it is, but it's also likely that it is a natural phenomenon, perhaps from a magnetar or neutron star integrating with a magnetic field, as described in this article:

Magnetic Secrets of Mysterious Radio Bursts in a Faraway Galaxy

Similarly, when pulsars were first observed in the late 1960s, science had no idea what it was at first, and there was talk (even in the mainstream science community) that pulsars might possibly be artificial and alien in origin. However, as they learned more about the phenomenon, it became more clear that pulsars were natural. FRBs, and specifically FRB121102, seem to also more likely be natural in origin the more we learn about them.

edit on 9/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/7/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join