It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the force of Earth's gravity change over time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Gravity currently varies in areas of the earth. Check into the gravity satellites they put up. The results are interesting. I'm wondering if any magnetic anomalies change gravity. I also know there is a couple voids that gravity is so much or so little that satellites or planes can't go over it.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomthoughts12
I also know there is a couple voids that gravity is so much or so little that satellites or planes can't go over it.
How do you know that? Source?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

The dinosaurs depicted in petroglyhs were depicted as small in stature.
There are no dinosaurs depicted in petroglyphs.

As for the pterdactyl argument, a 300 to 400 pound animal would need a 60 to 80 foot wingspan and an enormous amount of energy to get off the ground
You seem to be lacking sources. Habitually.

Perhaps they preferred to launch from high places when they could. Like I do, and I don't flap my wings. This is a fascinating article. Highly detailed, unlike your claims.

Read it. Or don't.

Therefore, while the largest pterosaurs appear to exceed the size limits for continuous flapping flight by a volant animal, there is no reason to suspect that they could not fly long distances Rather, it is reasonable to expect that so long as giant pterosaurs launched within 1 to 2 kilometres of an external source of lift, they could then stay aloft by transitioning to a soaring-dominated mode of travel after an initial burst of anaerobic power.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 7/1/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I'm lazy search it it's there. Either ATS or search it. I seen one on gravity differentials and one on magnetic anomalies. I would imagine there is much more information out there than what I know. PM me if you can't find what you need.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

They have hearts 5X the size of other mammals and blood pressures that require 4 inch thick arteries.

Jaden

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomthoughts12

I'm lazy search it it's there.
OK let me put it this way, that's wrong. Sure gravity varies slightly, but not such that there are voids that planes can't go over them, they are only slight variations.

I searched "Elvis lives" and got 22 million hits. That doesn't mean Elvis is alive, so your "go search it" statement is worse than worthless.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It has to! My scale keep going up and up and I know I am the same weight!

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   

This was old news to me sorry I thought this was common knowledge as I originally saw it on BBC like I thought 10 years ago before looking deeper.
edit on 1-7-2018 by randomthoughts12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Over millions of years it has yes.

The earth has not always been the size it is now.

Let me be more clear.

I meant that meteor impacts over millions of years changed the mass of earth by tiny tiny amounts
Nothing that we would notice.

I do not believe in the expanding earth theory.
edit on 1-7-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

This was old news to me sorry I thought this was common knowledge as I originally saw it on BBC like I thought 10 years ago before looking deeper.
It is pretty much common knowledge.
Which parts can't planes fly over? That's the question.

0.7% is not a lot of 9.7639

Effective gravity on the Earth's surface varies by around 0.7%, from 9.7639 m/s2 on the Nevado Huascarán mountain in Peru to 9.8337 m/s2 at the surface of the Arctic Ocean.[4] In large cities, it ranges from 9.7760[5] in Kuala Lumpur, Mexico City, and Singapore to 9.825 in Oslo and Helsinki.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Not entirely true for land animals.

Bone density can only support so much weight.

That's why all of the biggest creatures to ever live were in the oceans.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Why are there no more 6' centipedes, dragonflies with 3' wing-spans, giant lizards? Could collected space dust account for an increase in mass which would equal more gravity?

Main reason for that is different temperatures .

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It appears that the authors of the article are reappraising previous findings concerning the proportions, scaling and morphology of the pterodactyl to fit their flight model. Previous assessments led to a flightless animal based on estimates of body weight and wing span data.

They used fragmented fossil remains of differing species of giant pterosaur to make an assessment of the dimensions to determine what a pterodactyl looked like and to fit their flight model.

There isn't enough fossil information to determine if the pterodactyl was a massive animal with wings that didn't fly or a streamlined version that had flight capabilities.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Previous assessments led to a flightless animal based on estimates of body weight and wing span data.
Yes. A few thought that pterodactyls couldn't fly, based on questionable analyses. Does that mean that gravity was less?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Nice numbers Phage. I do believe the part about satellites and planes having issues I can check into. This part I could have remembered from non reliable sources but I will try to revisit soon.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

You may be thinking about the SAA. Radiation, nothing to do with gravity. Satellites, it can be a problem. Planes, not so much.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You beat me to it this notebook is so slow it's my tv notebook. Yes I was confusing some of the magnetics which is the SAA or south Atlantic anomaly. I did mention magnetic anomalies originally and the planes I could have just thought I read that but makes sense that I am mistaken..

edit on 1-7-2018 by randomthoughts12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I can't definitively answer the question about whether gravity was less. Proving if it was less wouldn't even be considered by mainstream science.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Wouldn't an expanding Earth be the cause of plate tectonics?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Proving if it was less wouldn't even be considered by mainstream science.
As pointed out, at one time the expanding Earth was considered (and the implications of such in regard to surface gravity was problematic). Then we learned more. Like we have about dinosaurs.

www.hist-geo-space-sci.net...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join