It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Collaborative Map Of The Paranormal In Seattle Is The Best Thing Online This Week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
For the record, I just copied and pasted the new thread title from the article- I don't agree that this is the absolute BEST thing online this week, however, it is great idea and got me thinking. Wouldn't it be interesting to have something like this for ATS members to add their own experiences on an interactive world-wide map? I'm sure that we have members hailing from even the farthest reaches of this planet (perhaps even outside of the sphere's influence?). We could learn something about members that might be neighbors, and perhaps find clusters of similar types of reports. My coding days are far behind me and I haven't found a use for Turbo Pascal in more years than I care to admit, so perhaps someone with more up-to-date skills could whip something out!

PHOTO SOURCE Seattle residents Garrett Kelly, left, and Jeremy Puma, sit next to the Time Travel Mailbox on June 12. They are creating a crowdsourced map of Liminal Seattle that shows people all the magical places in town. Kelly found a message in the mailbox thanking the recipient for believing in time travel. (Mike Siegel/The Seattle Times)

DIGG SOURCE ARTICLE

Seattle, on its surface, is not a very strange city. To the south you've got Portland, straining to keep itself weird. To the north you've got Vancouver, BC, which is weird because, well, Canada — must they all be obsessed with Tim Hortons? To the west out on the Olympic Peninsula you've got small towns including Forks, picked as the setting for "Twilight," and to the east you've got North Bend, the eerie place where "Twin Peaks" was filmed. Seattle is ringed by weirdness, but the oddest thing you're likely to see inside the city are Amazon's new super-luxe offices. If, say, you do see something spooky — like a an IRL zombie you initially mistook for an Amazon employee — you should tell the people of Liminal Seattle all about it.

Founded by Seattleites Garrett Kelly (@boontdustie) and Jeremy Puma, the Liminal Seattle map is the region's new go-to tool for tracking "fairies, ghosts, bigfoot, time travelers, extraterrestrials, ultraterrestrials, crow conferences, sentient lawn computers, lanyard'd ogres, broccoli wizards, etc." It extends beyond the Seattle city limits a bit — my hometown of Kirkland, WA has a "Strange Animals" pin on it about some recent bear sightings (I don't remember ever hearing about bears roaming around our town, so I think that counts).

Here is the site: LIMINAL SEATTLE - A MAP OF THE STRANGE, WONDERFUL, UNUSUAL, AND UNEXPECTED

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Technically, this map is really well done. Obviously a lot of time and effort went into creating it. Worth a look.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

That’s really cool. What got me was all the accounts of crows giving gifts to people. One morning I was out on the balcony drinking coffee and a crow flew up, dropped a piece of a sandwich on the balcony railing, squawked, then flew off. And this morning a friend of mine posted a weird piece of plastic a crow gave to him yesterday.

And today I see this. Is this some kind of common behavior in crows? I just thought it was a weird coincidence when that happened to me. Going to be watching the crows on my street extra hard now.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Fun little map. I'll have to remember this if I ever visit Seattle.

Creating a similar map isn't too difficult provided you've worked with the Googlemap API before. Essentially you feed it a list of "pins" (coordinates) along with a indicator of which icon to display and viola...map!
(ok, not as simple as that but in a nutshell)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Seattle has been in the map news quite a lot lately with that KGB map and whatnot. Cool find I’ll take a look-see!

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Ooh, an ATS map would be amazing. Wouldn't we just need a shared gmap that we can all stick pins in?
edit on 1-7-2018 by riiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
thanks for this post. i followed the creator on twitter now, this is brilliant.
THIS is what life should be about, fun awesome adventures like this.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Yeah but beards scream lazy. When did they stop smoking their legal pot long enough to create this?
edit on 1-7-2018 by gernblan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Cool find! I will have to check some of these destinations out. Hollywood sure does make us llok like we are a magical place with all the television shows and movies set here in Seattle.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
awesome!
someone nees to do a crowsourced map of worldwide paranormal events just like this one

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

This is awesome, thank you!

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: gernblan
Yeah but beards scream lazy. When did they stop smoking their legal pot long enough to create this?

Excellent input, beard=lazy I’ll have to remember that. Seriously why even make a post?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Funny you posted this.

I wanted to create a similar website, my idea was just focused around UFO's but I'd be open to having it for any Paranormal related phenomena.

I actually registered uforeport.co.uk and was going to have it like a MUFON but more modern, I purchased a business directory theme for WordPress and tried editing it and getting it to work as a UFO sightings directory with an interactive live map. I had some success but it was limited as my coding skills/knowledge only got me so far.

But yea, I wanted something like MUFON but more modern and user-friendly and independent as there have been rumours that MUFON are working with the government.

Anyway, if anybody has the time and skills to get something like this up and running/working let me know.

A website just like this but not limited to one area would be awesome.

new topics

top topics

join