It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Evidence That Two Earth-Like Exoplanets Have Stable Climates And Seasons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I think the more we look the more it's obvious that life exists but a lot of it is technologically immature as we are. The last time we went to the Moon was in 1972. We have really advanced with satellites and the collection of data but actual Space Exploration by humans themselves has been sorely lacking. Where's the big breakthroughs in this area?

Two exoplanets thought to be similar to Earth apparently are, at least when it comes to climate, researc†Kepler-186f is the first identified Earth-sized planet outside the solar system orbiting a star in the habitable zone. This means it's the proper distance from its host star for liquid water to pool on the surface.

The study, which appears in the Astronomical Journal, used simulations to analyze and identify the exoplanet's spin axis dynamics.

Those dynamics determine how much a planet tilts on its axis and how that tilt angle evolves over time. Axial tilt contributes to seasons and climate because it affects how sunlight strikes the planet's surface.

Researchers suggest that Kepler-186f's axial tilt is very stable, much like the Earth, making it likely that it has regular seasons and a stable climate. Further, they think the same is true for Kepler-62f, a super-Earth-sized planet orbiting around a star about 1,200 light-years away from us.

www.sciencealert.com...

I personally think the evidence is overwhelmingly strong for Panspermia vs. Abiogenesis so we will find life just about everywhere. I don't think the conditions of a planet forms life but life is seed and then the conditions on that planets makes it easier or harder for life to evolve after it's seeded. This may be misleading as well because we don't know how many ways life can find a way to survive once seeded.

I wish we could go to places like Mars, Enceladus, Titan, Europa and more and just have humans or bots equipped with machine learning digging around on these places.

When you read this, you wonder what's going on.

Enceladus Life Finder (ELF) is a proposed astrobiology mission concept for a NASA spacecraft intended to assess the habitability of the internal aquatic ocean of Enceladus, which is Saturn's sixth-largest moon[1][2] and seemingly similar in chemical makeup to comets.[3] The spaceprobe would orbit Saturn and fly through Enceladus's geyser-like plumes multiple times. It would be powered by energy supplied from solar panels on the spacecraft.

The Enceladus Life Finder mission was first proposed in 2015 for Discovery Mission 13 funding,[2] and then it was proposed in May 2017 to NASA's New Frontiers program Mission 4,[4][5][6] but it was not selected.[7]

en.wikipedia.org...

It would seem to me, this should be selected and fast tracked. It might take private billionaires like Elon Musk Russian Yuri Milner to getus to these places.

edit on 1-7-2018 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Any mission would involve hundreds of thousands of volunteers on a generation ship. It would be amazing.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic
Talk bout putting the cart in front of the horse. A loopy situation.

As of yet I don't think we have the technology the know how or the gumption or even the smarts to put two and two together to seed the Shara or even the rest of Las Vegas. Maybe not even those places outside cities, what are they called?

I do not believe people quite yet realize what it takes or means to be a space faring race. And as for space itself? Well it was and still is a great experiment and concept, but nothing in existence exists without first being created, and before it is created there must at the very least be a proof of concept.

Wana know something funny? Seems people want to go a some million light years away to colonize a planet. Yet the moon is still and yet to be way out of bounds, in fact putting 5 people in a room together for any long period of time without shenanigans eventually coming into play, may be an impossibility. As likely to happen as winning the lottery.

But I suppose if you all wait on your savior Elon Musk or Yuri Milner to take you all to the promised land, you will be waiting a long time to come. Let us not get to ahead of ourself's least we trip over our own feet.

Let me ask you something. Have you chosen Elon Musk as your personal lord and savior yet?

Something to contemplate on no?

edit on 12amSundayam012018f0amSun, 01 Jul 2018 00:44:41 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

What? You said:

Let me ask you something. Have you chosen Elon Musk as your personal lord and savior yet?

That's a silly statement.

It's just an observation that it might take private funding and a broader imagination to explore these things because you don't have the bureaucracy of NASA. New Scientist said the same thing.

Private mission may get us back to Enceladus sooner than NASA

RUSSIAN billionaire Yuri Milner has set his sights on Saturn’s moon Enceladus.

Milner founded the $100 million Breakthrough Starshot project, an attempt to send small probes to Alpha Centauri. Now, he has announced plans to explore funding a mission to Enceladus.

www.newscientist.com...

This is a good thing and I hope more of them help out in these areas when it comes to funding.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Exactly. If we leave it all up to government resources then it would never actually get the attention that space exploration and colonization deserves.

I want to build fleets of ships and go out into the stars to colonize as much of the galaxy as possible. Can't do that without focused effort.
edit on 1 7 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
The last time we went to the Moon was in 1972. We have really advanced with satellites and the collection of data but actual Space Exploration by humans themselves has been sorely lacking. Where's the big breakthroughs in this area?

Well it shouldn't take a rocketscientist to understand that space exploration with humans is a lot more complex than without them. Think of it this way : we know so little about space and the interesting places we could visit there's no point in sending humans until we had done more collection of data.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Wow, only 1200 light years away.........Considering a Warp factor 7, minus semi elliptical dilithium regression, using the Zu-142 event horizon hyper loop......we should get there in 3 days, 4 hours and 32 minutes......according to calculations.
Providing the engines can take it .....

Of course, that is in the Earth Year 5872 A.D.

Currently we have no hope of getting there.

But, in the year 24196-00011125 A.D......boy-girl, just see us then!!!

edit on 1-7-2018 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Human living in a computer as uploaded beings , can spare a few millenia going to both planets.

At 0.1c , a short 1200 light years trip is just 12 millenia.

Our physical kind will at best have to equate the colonisation of space with the colonisation of our solar system.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Cool thread neoholographic.

For me. It's sci fi to be even tempting people with the idea that humans can someday travel and live on any other planet than here. Earth.

It's nice for the imagination.

I do agree that there is probably a very good chance that life exists out there somewhere/everywhere.

I think the sensible thing is to protect Earth. Not be trying to leave for somewhere you're going to starve to death on the way to.

This is the most sensible thing i have seen for ages www.space.com... A new plan to detect and destroy Earth bound asteroids.

Space exploration is best done by probes/machines. They're good at it. But built by humans.

But protecting Earth seems the cheaper, easier and logical solution.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
When, or rather IF huge ships can teleport then then maybe a worthy discussion in an actual serious context. By then we'll be extinct. Whether or not its the baby versions of such technologies that trigger it.

First we have to survive the Technological Singularity which is three fold: our own human nature, the technology its in the process of unleashing upon itself, and our dark nature further enhanced by it.

And at the rate of this century and the crapshoot outrage over the waterfall pipedreams where the masses obsesses their attention upon, our cultural evolution being hardly any better than if this was 1200BC in the face of all that, and especially as long as nobody not even the people supposedly "above top secret" wants to hear any of this, on this status quo trajectory we're f'd and at this increasing velocity its coming sooner than later.
edit on 1-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

1972 is not the last time we went to the moon. Manned missions make no sense so we have not kept doing them, that doesn't mean we stopped exploring the moon.

Panspermia still requires abiogenesis since life needs to start before it can be sent out.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Exactly. If we leave it all up to government resources then it would never actually get the attention that space exploration and colonization deserves.

I want to build fleets of ships and go out into the stars to colonize as much of the galaxy as possible. Can't do that without focused effort.

In the early days of Europe, once a village became above a certain size, the demand for resources (crops, orchards, wood for homes, peat for fires) exceed the capacity of the local environment. So at the start of Summer, half the village would be prepared to relocate and found a new village. Everyone had basic skills like joinery and cloth making. And this process continued all across the continent.

To do the same thing across space, you would need doctors, dentists, surgeons, nurses, engineers, geologists, construction workers, pilots, and so on. It would almost require a generation ship like the series Starlost, which really captured the culture of Canada at the time.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

The way i see it, this seems like a perfect planet-if it could sustain life. A tilted axis, a large satellite-it has a good resume already and that's before we find out the composition of the atmosphere.

I

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I thought i was one of only a very few pro Earth people.

Seems there are more than i thought.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

With our current tech your right.

But who knows what tech will be invented tomorrow.

This is why nasa needs more funding.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
So, if we sent something to a planet in the habitable zone and found that it DIDN'T contain life, we would in fact become the seeders of life on that planet.

Maybe we could fire off little bacteria bombs to habitable planets for poops and giggles.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

GAO warns of worsening cost and schedule performance on NASA programs

I think NASA should stick around. But it has a lot of house cleaning to do before we throw more money at it.

Meanwhile, in the decades it has operated it was never any closer to reusable rockets and other technologies that would reduce the cost of spaceflight.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Meanwhile, in the decades it has operated it was never any closer to reusable rockets and other technologies that would reduce the cost of spaceflight.

But it did come up with lots of tech that we use everyday now.

If your not aware you should google all the tech that came from nasa that makes are lives better.

Though I agree that better money management is needed.
I believe this about every program run by our government.

If only we had some fiscal conservatives in office. 8(

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Nah, any mission would be conducted by shady corporations a la Weyland Yutani from the Aliens series.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It's sad to see people who express the idea that this should NOT be done. It's a short-sighted view. First, it assumes our current level of technology will forever be, that no advances in spaceflight or knowledge will ever happen. From today's perspective, it's true: We can't get there. We couldn't get to the Moon in the 1800s either, but Jules Verne nailed it with a space capsule looking very much like Apollo being launched out of a large cannon. Some people look forward with imagination. Others can't see their own feet. If everyone had that attitude, we would never have crossed that first river because it was "too dangerous." I have no use for people like that. They are an impediment and in the way.

The fact is, we MUST get off this planet and out of this Solar System in a sustainable way if the species is to survive because, quite frankly, Earth is a Killer Planet. Tectonic plate movement, monster volcanoes, or an errant asteroid are going to get us eventually and send us back to the stone age. And if that does not work, well, the Sun is eventually going to go Nova and that will be the end of that. Our generation won't be able to do it. Neither will our grandkids', but eventually there will come a time when getting to another planet will be viable. We don't know everything about the structure of reality. I have faith that advances in physics will show us a way around this pesky speed-of-light problem. Just look at neo's sig. That's all you really need to know right there. And if by chance we do not get a paradigm shift that shows us the way, we can use the old-fashioned way. Building a protective ship is trivial. We can build a starship if we want to, and there will be plenty of volunteers unafraid of crossing that river. One way or another it will happen. If you do not want to, that's fine. But either lead, or follow, or get the hell out of the way because we're going whether you like it or not.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join