It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Universe have Memory like we do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I say the answer is yes.

It's clear the universe has knowledge of itself. An observer interacts and takes in information from that system and has knowledge of the system. What happens with this knowledge depends on whether it's a weak observer or a strong observer.

A weak observer would be a measuring apparatus. It takes in information about a system but the knowledge it has can't be extracted unless a human observer reads the information. As strong conscious observers, we take in information about a system and use that knowledge to do work like write books or build a car.

We do this because of memory. We not only take in information and have knowledge of this information, we have memory of this information. This can all be related to time entanglement. This could mean the universe has a stronger memory than we do.

Quantum Weirdness Now a Matter of Time

The strangeness comes through in an experiment conceived by Robert Spekkens, a physicist who studies the foundations of quantum mechanics at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Canada. Spekkens and his colleagues carried out the experiment in 2009. Alice prepares a photon in one of four possible ways. Classically, we could think of these four ways as two bits of information. Bob then measures the particle in one of two possible ways. If he chooses to measure the particle in the first way, he obtains Alice’s first bit of information; if he chooses the second, he obtains her second bit. (Technically, he does not get either bit with certainty, just with a high degree of probability.) The obvious explanation for this result would be if the photon stores both bits and releases one based on Bob’s choice. But if that were the case, you’d expect Bob to be able to obtain information about both bits — to measure both of them or at least some characteristic of both, such as whether they are the same or different. But he can’t. No experiment, even in principle, can get at both bits — a restriction known as the Holevo bound. “Quantum systems seem to have more memory, but you can’t actually access it,” said Costantino Budroni, a physicist at the University of Siegen in Germany.

Another example of temporal entanglement comes from a team led by Stephen Brierley, a mathematical physicist at the University of Cambridge. In a paper last year, Brierley and his collaborators explored the bizarre intersection of entanglement, information and time. If Alice and Bob choose from just two polarizer orientations, the correlations they see are readily explained by a particle carrying a single bit. But if they choose among eight possible directions and they measure and remeasure the particle 16 times, they see correlations that a single bit of memory can’t explain. “What we have proven rigorously is that, if you propagate in time the number of bits that corresponds to this Holevo bound, then you definitely cannot explain what quantum mechanics predicts,” said Tomasz Paterek, a physicist at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, and one of Brierley’s co-authors. In short, what Alice does to the particle at the beginning of the experiment is correlated with what Bob sees at the end in a way that’s too strong to be easily explained. You might call this “supermemory,” except that the category of “memory” doesn’t seem to capture what’s going on.

www.quantamagazine.org...

This is pretty amazing when you think about it. Your memory is entangled with past measurements and this could mean the universe takes in information about a system and used that knowledge to build itself just like we build a house or a new factory. Scientist are looking to see if entanglement plays a role in memory.

Brain ‘entanglement’ could explain memories

Subatomic particles do it. Now the observation that groups of brain cells seem to have their own version of quantum entanglement, or “spooky action at a distance”, could help explain how our minds combine experiences from many different senses into one memory.

Previous experiments have shown that the electrical activity of neurons in separate parts of the brain can oscillate simultaneously at the same frequency – a process known as phase locking. The frequency seems to be a signature that marks out neurons working on the same task, allowing them to identify each other.

www.newscientist.com...

I think if you couple time entanglement with quantum illumination you can get stronger memories in brains like ours and it's less in animals and insects.

I was watching a Bee not to long ago in the front of my house. It was on one flower, it went to the next flower then quickly went to another flower. It stayed there for a minute and it skipped the next flower that looked like the one it quickly moved from. Did it have some awareness and remembered the flower that he didn't like?

Does a dog have some awareness about the difference between a house and a car? Dog's might know that one moves and one doesn't. We have stronger memories and can extract more information and have knowledge about drywall, hot water tanks, insulation, foundation of a house and more. Listen to Scientific American talks about quantum illumination.

In practice, entanglement is an extremely delicate condition. Background disturbances readily destroy the state—a bane for quantum computing in particular, because calculations are done only as long as the entanglement lasts. But for the first time, quantum physicist Seth Lloyd of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology suggests that memories of entanglement can survive its destruction. He compares the effect to Emily Brontë’s novel Wuthering Heights: “the spectral Catherine communicates with her quantum Heathcliff as a flash of light from beyond the grave.”

www.scientificamerican.com...

I would say the universe is more aware than we are just like we're more aware than the bee. Time entanglement explains memory perfectly. This is because we can remember past measurements in time that we're entangled with and even ones that we're no longer entangled with because of quantum illumination.

The universe has knowledge of itself just like the bee has knowledge of a flower or the dog has knowledge of a house or car. A complex system like the brain can extract and remember vast amounts of information and the universe is probably more way more aware than we are. This leads to the immaterial observer but I discussed that in another post.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
We are the universe experiencing itself so yes the universe has memory like we do. Our memory is its memory.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Yes, the universe likely displays what Frank Vertosick calls "emergent intelligence", if I'm not too far off.

I read Vertosick's book "The Genius Within" last year, and your post somehow reminds me of it.

Colonies can indeed manifest an emergent intelligence, from ant colonies to cell colonies.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It has time. Everything that every happened in the past is more or less recorded by the effects of objects still in the now. Like breaking a rack of billiard balls, but the table is slick, the bumpers are all 100 percent resilient, and it just goes on forever. Although I imagine that there is some kind of decay or buffer, so we can't just trace a particle back to its original point to recreate the past, or use a formula or simulation to predict the future.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

It's clear the universe has knowledge of itself

shouldn't you prove this first before anyone proceeds?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

It's clear the universe has knowledge of itself

shouldn't you prove this first before anyone proceeds?

I did. I went even further in a thread called Science has shown the universe is Conscious in the form of Knowledge

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The universe has to have knowledge of itself because that's the nature of observation. An observer interacts with a system and takes in information about that system. The observer has knowledge about the system. You can have weak observers and strong observers.

A measuring apparatus has knowledge about a system but it's just stored knowledge unless that information is extracted. That's a weak observer. A strong observer would be a human observer that takes in information about a system and uses that knowledge to build civilizations. Air molecules or the environment can be an observer.

The question is, does the universe use that knowledge to build the universe or is it just stored knowledge. I would say it's used to build the universe because of the nature of entanglement and it's growing connection to memory.

THIS IS TRULY ASTOUNDING!

This is Scientific evidence that the universe constructed itself based on the gathering of information and memory in the same way that we do. This is why I wasn't surprised to read this:

Physicists Find Evidence That The Universe Is A Giant Brain

According to a study published in Nature’s Scientific Reports, the universe may be growing in the same way as a giant brain – with the electrical firing between brain cells ‘mirrored’ by the shape of expanding galaxies.

The results of a computer simulation suggest that “natural growth dynamics” – the way that systems evolve – are the same for different kinds of networks – whether its the internet, the human brain or the universe as a whole.

“The result, they argue, is that the universe really does grow like a brain. The study raises profound questions about how the universe works.” Krioukov said.

themindunleashed.com...

I heard atheist Laurence Krauss say in a debate that you need space and time in order to find an event in space-time. That's not true. You need knowledge and knowledge is just as fundamental as space-time especially when correlations (entanglements) might be the very foundation of space-time. John Preskill did a lecture that asked Is Spacetime a Quantum Error-Correcting Code?

Quantum error correction is tied to entanglement. You can read one of the many published papers on this from this Google search.

Googl e Search

If a person says meet me on Detroit Ave. at Outback at 12:30 for lunch, you need space, time and knowledge. You have to have the knowledge on how to get to Detroit Ave, what does Outback mean and what does 12:30 for lunch mean.
edit on 26-6-2018 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Time.

I actually look at this a bit differently. Time does not exist, it cannot exist in order for this to make sense. That weak observer that takes a measurement must know that it will interact with a strong observer in the future, or it wouldn't have taken a measurement in the past. And how would a weak observer know what will happen in the future? Therefore to the weak observer it is all happening at once, there is no past, there is no future... there is the measurement and there is the interaction with the observer.

I think we will find that time is just a construct of the consciousness, and not a part of physical reality. But we need to figure out what the heck consciousness is now, on a quantum level, and then time will make sense.

Am I making sense?

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
I say the answer is yes.

It's clear the universe has knowledge of itself.

Can you tell me why "It's Clear" to you that the Universe has
a memory. I ask this as it is in your OP and implied as fact?

Maybe you need to work on the first line of the op, by producing evidence
for this bold claim.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I agree. What we call the flow of time is just a memory of a past measurement and the anticipation of a future future measurement. This can be all in your mind without any flow of time. In fact, the time for your head and your feet can be different.

NIST Clock Experiment Demonstrates That Your Head is Older Than Your Feet

www.nist.gov...

I wrote a thread called Time isn't real so what does that mean?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I agree.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

If it does there are holes, black ones for instance.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Cool thread, I missed that one. Thank you.

Keep up the good work, love your threads.

posted on Jun, 26 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron

Cool thread, I missed that one. Thank you.

Keep up the good work, love your threads.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I suspect that the force is present in all things except the evil. Hence the all seeing eye of God. He comprehends all things at once.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The wake a boat makes is enough to surf on. Even when you have a few gallons of water pushing back on it. I'm sure the cat o nine tails, the sun and her babies, carves quite a groove in the ether.

new topics

top topics

join