It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hats off to Russia. WC 2018:

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Well done to Russia.. Bye Bye to Spain..

Drag the timeline back some ?

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Russian keepers last save with his foot was fantastic!
Me and my mates were supporting Russia so it was a bit of a party atmosphere here as well...we're not Russian but you have to choose a side watching a game.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
No Portugal, Spain, Argentina, Germany... just need Belgium, France, and Brazil to lose now and it will truly be a unique WC.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Since iceland didnt make the knockout stages, im hoping for Croatia. France didnt impress but Mbappe is pure class. The kid is 19. For me its the worst watching brazil. Neymar for all his talents is pure sh!t. He falls down crossing the lines one the pitch, always whining.

A few friends went to Russia and they all said the same thing. Its been flawless in almost every way. Nothing to complain about and the locals very welcoming.

Enjoying how VAR has been used so far. So much on the line in each game.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: samuelsson

Me to, I am hoping Croatia, I wouldn't mind Uruguay (since that would mean France is out), I am just enjoying watching the surprises.

Was so close to going, had to back out at the last minute when the wife's extension got denied and we will be leaving Europe right after the end of the Cup. Couldn't afford the tickets, the rooms, food beer, and the costs of shipping all our extra stuff back to the states.

This one is just different enough Ill probably stay tuned in all the way through...

I feel the same way about France as you do about Neymar (I also agree with your opinion of Neymar), if those two teams can get knocked out...

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hats off for what exactly? Parking the bus for 120 minutes?
Russia had ONE shot to the goal the entire match and that was their penalty mid game.

Only good thing out of the entire team is the goalkeeper.

That aside, Spain looked miserable. Time to end this tiki-taka nonsense that is only good for statiatics.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Putin is rigging the world cup like he rigged our election lol!!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1337Kph
Hats off for what exactly? Parking the bus for 120 minutes?
Russia had ONE shot to the goal the entire match and that was their penalty mid game.

Only good thing out of the entire team is the goalkeeper.

That aside, Spain looked miserable. Time to end this tiki-taka nonsense that is only good for statiatics.

Hats off for putting on a great World Cup. You win the best way you can with what you have of course.
Spain were favorites, Russia were bottom seeded at the start of the competition.
Bravo I say

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I have friends over there right now having a blast. Having been to Russia before myself, it can be a quite nice country. People are welcoming. Interesting food and culture. Cool architecture.

As far as the WC goes, the real disgrace will be the next one held in Qatar. They're using massive slave labor to build the stadiums. Alcohol will be banned everywhere except select foreign areas because "Mooslim". Gays will be told to keep their behavior under wraps.

Never mind Qatar funds terrorism against the West.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

nyet this year spain.

posted on Jul, 1 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I HATE penalties to decide a game, worst way to finish it.

The old NASL had a great way to finish 1 offensive player against the goalie start at the 40 yard mark have like 15 seconds to score.
I forget how many attempts per side I think 5, it was just more of a skill way to finish.. penalties to decide it always feel cheap.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: skywatcher44
Hats off for putting on a great World Cup.

Definitely.

You win the best way you can with what you have of course.

Sure, I didn't say they didn't deserve that. A win is a win and there was no real dirty play.

But, as a spectator, would you really like to see more of these kind of matches? A team plays 10-player defense and shooting on target ONCE in 120 minutes? Again, that lonely shot was a penalty too..

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I HATE penalties to decide a game, worst way to finish it.

Well, the game HAS to be decided somehow, right? I liked the idea of a golden goal (game goes on, whoever scores wins the game), but that too can take hours, especially with that poor display of football we've seen yesterday.

Lets just be thankful it's no longer decided on a coin toss lol.
edit on 2-7-2018 by 1337Kph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

Fair enough, it is better than a coin flip.

=======================================

I am so torn on Mexico vs Brazil... I hate watching this flopping version of the beautiful game (brazil)… on the flip side I cant stand the Mexican national team fans. Saw a US game in Mexico city, US fans were literally caged for their protection with Police standing guard... and people still tried to climb the fence to get at the US supporters.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Another good thing win or loose Japan fans have stayed behind after every match and cleaned the stadium.

www.thesun.co.uk...

Hats of to Japan and Russia.

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Germany and Argentina out early.
All we need now is Brazil to humiliate France and all will be good.

There's been some weak refereeing - but then again there always is - but it does seem to have improved as the tournament has gone on.

Neymar was a disgrace the other day, if I was his manager I'd drop him - if I was a team mate I would, with a left hook.

All in all I've got to say I've enjoyed this World Cup more than any other one I can remember.

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
The Final upon all has gone well. Well done Russia.
France 60+ M population V Croatia 4+ M Population.
Expecting a great Finale ..

posted on Jul, 15 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Meant to add this link.

www.bbc.co.uk...

My overriding memory from this World Cup actually belongs to a small bar on a road called Ulitsa Pyatnitskaya, where I watched Russia beat former world champions Spain in a penalty shootout. The streets soon filled with Russians and became a wave of white, blue and red as they partied to the soundtrack of car horns and trumpets long into the night. Yes, France or Croatia will lift the World Cup trophy on Sunday, but there have been many other victories along the way. Thank you Russia, for hosting a truly memorable World Cup.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join