It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Welcome to Salinas-where girls change sex naturally.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Good day boys and girls, but I must also say good day to all the guevedoces in the village of Salinas in the Dominican Republic-and if you are not aware of who the guevedoces are , you would not be the only one as it translates to 'penis at age twelve.' Now that might sound like a bizarre moniker but it's appropriate because when some young girls in this small village hit puberty, they don't blossom into a young woman, they enter manhood.

That's right-girls turn into boys.

Now many people of certain beliefs see changing gender as unnatural, however it has been observed naturally in certain marine life. But humans? If you are familiar with the reproduction system then this article won't surprise you.

As first observed by a Cornell University researcher in the 1970s, one in about 90 children in and around Salinas are affected by the mutation, which leads to low levels of an enzyme called 5-α-reductase that typically spurs growth of the penis in utero. In guevedoces, this growth is delayed until puberty. And, after their transformation, many of the newly minted boys prove heterosexual.

And now for the Laymans' explanation. When we are in the womb when it comes to deciding gender the boys gets the sausage and the girls get the jellybean. But for the guevedoce for some odd reason the jellybean has a mood swing and changes it's mind years later and would rather be a sausage-sure it's not the greatest explanation but it will do.

So we know the how, but not the why... there have been other such cases but why is this 'infliction' so prevalent on this island? lack of genetic diversity? isolation? diet? scientists haven't a clue. What do you think?
edit on 17-6-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

This is not unheard of, in the sense that a small percentage of any population will have outliers who do not follow the typical gender expression physically. I am not familiar with salinas or any of the observations there, but i would expect to find small communities that find mates within their area, thus keeping the breeding pool small and amplifying any anomalies that they possess.

Wondering if these girls retain the vagina and uterus? Do they change from xx to xy?
edit on 17-6-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

A part of me wants to say it's an anomaly due to it's locale and isolation-look at the beaver duck (otherwise known as the Platypus) isolation and inbreeding may have played it's hand, but that doesn't explain why this certain village has such a high rate of these occurrences. But thankfully those guevedoces don't have as much stigma attached to them unlike many Eastern or western countries.

A little girl named Carla is currently going through the same transformation, aged nine. Despite being brought up as a girl, his mother noticed that from the age of five he was more inclined towards the rough and tumble play of little boys. He has recently had his hair cut short after wearing plaits for years. “I feel like a man now,” he said. Many decide not to change from their female names, so some men in Salinas have names like Catherine.

source

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I had no idea this is even possible. Thanks for this.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

So we know the how, but not the why... there have been other such cases but why is this 'infliction' so prevalent on this island? lack of genetic diversity? isolation? diet? scientists haven't a clue. What do you think?
Well at this point it will be spitballing . Maybe the answer lies in some other scientific department . dark matter :>) .... just kidding but maybe Ruperts harmonic resonance theory might play into it somehow . What if the tradition there was that once the she is bread the male goes away . Could his vibes actually have some influence inside the womb . There are vids I watched that showed the parents taking actions to read to the child while it was in the womb and they (3 kids) all achieved a very high level of education very early on in their life .

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

look at the beaver duck (otherwise known as the Platypus) isolation and inbreeding may have played it's hand,
Not sure how up to date your data is on the Platypus . Just recently it was discovered they actually live and thrive in salt water . Something that overturned what experts had up to that discovery claimed as fact's about the creatures .

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
It seems like they were always boys (XY) but were just genetically prone to the dangley bits developing VERY late.
What an interesting and odd genetic variation

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Yes, but on Miss Doubtfire, they said a cow is a cow and a bull is a bull

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

LOL

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Yes, but on Miss Doubtfire, they said a cow is a cow and a bull is a bull

Thanks for the image of the late great Robin Williams in drag peeing while standing up.

I could not tell you why this happens but the fact is that there must be something there...Easter Island or other isolated islands might have similar cases but is not as frequent.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Honestly, if it is 1% of their population, that is not far off from the rest of the world’s ratio.

They also did not recieve a jewish/judeo christian/ islamic, based religious upbringing. So, i would not expect any stigma surrounding these people.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Wondering if these girls retain the vagina and uterus? Do they change from xx to xy?

I found out a little bit more about this:
Wikipedia

Fertility

Since the gonad tissue develops into testes rather than ovaries, they are thus unable to create ova but may be able to create sperm. Male fertility can still be possible if viable sperm is present in the testes and is able to be extracted. In general, individuals with 5-ARD are capable of producing viable sperm.

Although the external genitalia can sometimes be completely female, the vagina consists of only the lower two-thirds of a normal vagina, creating a blind-ending vaginal pouch. Because of normal action of Müllerian inhibiting factor produced by the testes in utero, individuals with 5-ARD lack a uterus and Fallopian tubes. Thus, they would not physically be able to carry a pregnancy in any event. Even with treatments such as surrogate motherhood, female infertility is caused by the lack of any ova to implant in a surrogate mother.

In individuals with an ambiguous genital resulting in a macroclitoris/micropenis, the genital may be capable of ejaculations as well as erections, but may be of insufficient size for penetrative sexual intercourse.

Fertility is further compromised by the underdevelopment of seminal vesicles and prostate.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I read an article about how this process works a few days ago. Kind of weird but evidently it is really happening, some women could have really been boys genetically. It is very rare though, and the mutation is usually just in a small related group of people

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
nvm... answered.

edit on 6/17/2018 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Better check for gay frogs...

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

In individuals with an ambiguous genital resulting in a macroclitoris/micropenis

Lmao this is the best Wikipedia snippet I've seen, is micropenis actually a legitimate scientific term?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

edit on 17-6-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
It seems like they were always boys (XY) but were just genetically prone to the dangley bits developing VERY late.
What an interesting and odd genetic variation

yes.
humans can't change their genders.
many fish species can,
many can choose which gender gets born, some even reproduce by parthenogenesis, virgin births. some are able to use transmutation into another another species or a series of species form a singular species.

those delayed onset mutations are only possible because the male gender remains a male (xy)

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: toms54

In individuals with an ambiguous genital resulting in a macroclitoris/micropenis

Lmao this is the best Wikipedia snippet I've seen, is micropenis actually a legitimate scientific term?

not funny for 'unlucky' Bob though.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have seen abnormally large clotorii...but there was still the baby barrel.
Female hyenas have a 'false' penis.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join