It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitar Strings: You Can Never Go Wrong With...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

?

That's the question. I thought I give the ol' Bender (I know it's not very fitting to call a Fender acoustic western guitar without any technology attached whatsoever "Bender") a Sunday treat, polished him, put on new strings and I hate them.
I hate how they sound, feel, even how they look. (They're Martin MSP 4050 phosphor bronze custom light, for the geeks amongst you)

So the question is: with what strings can one never go wrong?

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   
D'addario reg for acoustic
Earnie ball reg slinky for electric

I keep it simple, and every guitar store will have the regular varieties, so you never have to hunt them down.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody

Thanks. Tomorrow I'll try'em.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Same here with the exception on elixir's on one guitar.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

I keep it simple, and every guitar store will have the regular varieties, so you never have to hunt them down.

i was going to say the very same thing.
Dunlop on my bass though

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: abago71 & TinySickTears

Thanks for the confirmation. I always played concert/classic guitars, there it was easy. Höfner guitar, Höfner strings.

Some say Gibson are the best?

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: abago71 & TinySickTears

Thanks for the confirmation. I always played concert/classic guitars, there it was easy. Höfner guitar, Höfner strings.

Some say Gibson are the best?

yeah but everyone says someone is the best.
its just how you dig em.

my buddy would not play anything but martins on his acoustic.

i like to play and i know what i like but if i go to get some ernie ball and theyre out and i need strings then i get d addario.
i knew a couple metal dudes that would play ghs boomers

just dont get them at the grocery store and mess around. mess with gauge too

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

"ernie ball" sounds cool though... screw it they're what like 7-9€ per pack? Maybe I get a variety and experiment to find my own favourites?

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
GHS Boomers on the electrics

and Elixers on the Accoustics.

Black Diamonds on the Dobro

What ever's on sale flatwounds for the Bass

Weed whackers on the upright

I clean the strings on everything with WD40 before every gig. People tell me they last longer, I don't change strings very often.
edit on 10-6-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I like John Pearse on the Acoustics, especially dreadnought bodies.

La Bella 620 Black Flamenco on the Classical, but, I play Flamenco Style on a Classical and they can handle the beating.

Di'Addario makes a good Phosphor Bronze Medium... My Republic Reso loves them but they suck on a Dreadnought.

I have snapped 2 sets of Ernie Ball so I don't use them.

Elixir's sounded great on my Taylor, like crystals falling on the floor, but they shed that white stuff in the case...

Di'Addario's are found everywhere. If you got the fingers, medium gauge seems to be the best of all worlds, they last, and they tone out predictably. Light Gauge if the guitars old...

edit on 10-6-2018 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks to all of you guys, keep'em coming.

"Experiences Welcome"
sign is up!

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'm currently using D'Addario Light Gauge .012-.053 - Coated 80/20 Bronze - Cost me £10 for a set over here, however they're very good strings with a nice deep tone.

I also bought a set of Martin Custom Lights but I haven't tried them yet, they were half the price.

However, looking online D'Addario is regarded in high esteem for acousticians.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

?

That's the question. I thought I give the ol' Bender (I know it's not very fitting to call a Fender acoustic western guitar without any technology attached whatsoever "Bender") a Sunday treat, polished him, put on new strings and I hate them.
I hate how they sound, feel, even how they look. (They're Martin MSP 4050 phosphor bronze custom light, for the geeks amongst you)

So the question is: with what strings can one never go wrong?
d'addarrios have always sounded and felt good on any guitar I've ever had. But on my main guitar, 1985 Kramer DMZ with an aluminum neck and stock DiMarzio humbuckers , I use ernie ball skinny top/heavy bottom mixed gauge strings. the high strings are light gauge .009-.032 and the lows are heavier, the low E being .048 or.052 I think. great for open tunings and playing with a slide
edit on 08/022017 by MantheDevilsApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I like Elixars or the d'addario coated similar version.

They keep a good tone much longer than un-coated strings and I don't notice any loss of initial sound or playability

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
And the winner is d'addario it seems.
For you guys

Thanks

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I like d'adarrio regular-lite for my acoustic. I've used them for years and years.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

Love D'addarios on my acoustics...I'm a bit pickier when it comes to my electrics. Slinkies on my non-trem guitars. And GHS boomers on my trems.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I pretty much universally go with elixir. Love em!

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Good choices. I use the same.

posted on Jun, 10 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

S*** it takes a minimum of two to three months just to break in a set of strings.

Jaden

top topics

<<   2 >>

join