It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drinking Problems

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
See: Heaven Hill

Good point.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

To each his own, but as a long-time whisky drinker, I hate bourbon-the only one worth drinking is Woodford Reserve.

General rules of whisky are:
Blended-this is normally a mix of different less aged whisky's to get a middle of the road flavour. Probably, before bottling, it will have alcohol and water added to bulk it out. This is what you buy to drink with a mixer.
Single malt-this will have been from a specific batch of whisky and will have been aged from 3 years up to generally no more than 18 years. Whisky is aged in wooden casks so is subject to evaporation, which means that older whisky will be more concentratdd and have more flavour-because of the loss over the years, it will also be more expensive (Incidentally, the whisky lost to evaporation is called 'the angel's share').

Lowland single malt tends to be more palatable for a beginner. Highland single malt tends to be acidic and/or smoky and something like Laphroig will taste like cough medicine to you. A good starting whisky is Jura superstition.

If you find the taste too strong, I find the best way to add water is to dribble it in very slowly and tilt the glass-you will see an oily sheen appear on the surface-when that stops appearing, you have enough water.

Happy experimenting!

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: lawman27
To each his own, but as a long-time whisky drinker, I hate bourbon-the only one worth drinking is Woodford Reserve.

Interesting to note that Brown-Forman makes Woodford. They've also owned Jack Daniels since the 1950's.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: DAVID64
Safer just to bury it.

Yeah I'm not really enjoying it too much

If you end up not wanting to drink it, cook with it. A splash of whiskey works nice in some beef stews, or in chili, gravy.....experiment.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Bourbon comes in so many wonderful flavors, you could only worry about it, and likely never try them all.
Local liquor store, try Elisia Craig small batch, four roses small batch or single barrel, Larceny, Basil Haydens, those are all usually in stock and all very good and smooth. I like them "neat" which is just bourbon in the glass, no ice. But sometimes, I like the ice to mellow out the flavor as you go.

I didn't know you could find bourbon that didn't burn like Jack Daniels. turns out, you can.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

It's been a long time coming but I am finally getting away from whiskey, not because I got angry or anything of the sort.. I just got stupid.. Best explanation.

Spend some cash get a decent bottle, even cheap crown royal can suffice. Buy some metal cube ice (they make them in Basalt, Stainless steal, among other) and drink it on the rocks. one or 2 with a good steak is the bomb, I just had trouble stopping.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarlbBlack

It's been a long time coming but I am finally getting away from whiskey, not because I got angry or anything of the sort.. I just got stupid.. Best explanation.

Spend some cash get a decent bottle, even cheap crown royal can suffice. Buy some metal cube ice (they make them in Basalt, Stainless steal, among other) and drink it on the rocks. one or 2 with a good steak is the bomb, I just had trouble stopping.

the massive hangover was enough to cure me of not respecting the brown. Woodford reserve. Had a gargantuan bottle almost empty and wanted a quarter jug. Take my advice, put the change in a drawer and finish the bottle slower.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

And here I thought Jack Daniels...

Jack Daniels is actually quite decent for what it is and consistently smooth.

You can thank Frank Sinatra for making it famous, he and the Rat Pack put it on the map.
Jack Daniel's single-barrel is an excellent sipping whiskey. I prefer it chilled and straight.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

It beats Pruno straight to hell.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Alcohol is a medicine used to help with many health conditions. When you abuse a medicine, you wind up with side effects.

There are other tyramines out there that are better for your happiness than drinking booze. Try some smoked fish, pickled herring, or some pickled eggs. A good cinnamon roll works good too.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Jim Beam is what we used to drink as teenagers and fight each other. Now I can’t even smell that or Southern Comfort without wanting to throw up.

Get a good Glenlivet would be my advice, I like the 18 year old. Or if that’s too expensive my second choices would be Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. They’re a little more reasonable. Bullit bourbon isn’t too bad either, same with Buffalo Trace.

I’m from Kentucky, and we haven’t trusted Jim Beam since Booker Noe infiltrated and took the company over. Look on the side of the bottle.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Bourbon comes in so many wonderful flavors, you could only worry about it, and likely never try them all.
Local liquor store, try Elisia Craig small batch, four roses small batch or single barrel, Larceny, Basil Haydens, those are all usually in stock and all very good and smooth. I like them "neat" which is just bourbon in the glass, no ice. But sometimes, I like the ice to mellow out the flavor as you go.

I didn't know you could find bourbon that didn't burn like Jack Daniels. turns out, you can.

Blasphemy! Jack Daniels ain’t no bourbon.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
My dad was a Wild Turkey drinker, so I got used to that and its variations very partial to WT 101 when I do partake. Not a huge bourbon drinker as an adult but there are times, also enjoy Knob Creek, Maker's Mark usually neat but occasionally with a large cube of ice. Winter or when I'm up in the mountains or like has been mentioned when enjoying a good steak.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I like Canadian whiskey and Southern Comfort mixed with these drinks
called ICE.They come in different flavors and my favorite is crisp apple.
Because of my recent mini strokes,I no longer have alcoholic drinks!

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Indeed. It is apparently a Welsh recipe that was brought to America back in the day. Flavour was due to herbs and other things they added to the mix. Not exactly a whisky, more a 40% tonic wine. My fave is still a good mixing whisky (Ballantines) with dry Canadian ginger beer. Long glass, no straw. I could drink that till the pink cows that looked like elephants came home.

This is why I avoid spirits now. Sometimes it is like crack, or what I imagine crack to be after watching many comedy skits. It's fun for a while though, to be fair to spirits.

Beer makes you pee more and really think about your choices. Spirits just make me thirsty.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I'm sure it's just individual taste preference, but...yeah...it's that bad. Just for the record, Jack Daniels is some of the nastiest crap out there.
Take some water, pour it through the used charcoal in your grill, add some rubbing alcohol and you have Jack Daniels.

Well whatever. I've only ever drank JD on social occasions because my mates like it.

If I buy a bottle, it's Glenfiditch or some similar scotch. It's a rare treat nowadays for health reasons.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
I prefer bourbon for regular drinking.

- Buffalo Trace
- Woodford Reserve
- Eagle Rare
- Clyde Mays

Drink all of the above neat, 2 or 3 fingers in an old fashioned glass.

If you must mix:

- Jack Daniels
- Evan Williams Black Label

For celebratory drinking:

- Laphroaig
- Macallan
- Redbreast

All neat, 2-3 fingers in a whisky glass. Sip slowly and enjoy.

I was with you until Laphoaig...

But I would have added Eligiah Craig to the bourbons.

Oban was my beast. Been working the liquor trade on and off for 20 years. Tasted it all.
I'm a craft beer and tequila guy. Everyone has different tastes.
When I hit my mid 30's, I lost my love for whiskeys and vodkas.
Gave me "old man burps" and farts.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Jim Beam is what we used to drink as teenagers and fight each other. Now I can’t even smell that or Southern Comfort without wanting to throw up.

Get a good Glenlivet would be my advice, I like the 18 year old. Or if that’s too expensive my second choices would be Makers Mark or Woodford Reserve. They’re a little more reasonable. Bullit bourbon isn’t too bad either, same with Buffalo Trace.

I’m from Kentucky, and we haven’t trusted Jim Beam since Booker Noe infiltrated and took the company over. Look on the side of the bottle.

Buffalo Trace is the best inexpensive bourbon in the market. It's Pappy Van Winkle but not as aged. Actually, I prefer Buffalo to Pappy. Livet is decent Scotch for the money as well.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Jim Beam is my favorite. I like it with cola and a lime slice/lime juice..or just cola.

posted on May, 29 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

Safer just to bury it.

Yeah I'm not really enjoying it too much

If you end up not wanting to drink it, cook with it. A splash of whiskey works nice in some beef stews, or in chili, gravy.....experiment.
A shot of a decent dequila in a batch of salsa authentico really brings the taste buds alive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join