It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidents and Memorial Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
All presidents give some form of recognition to the Memorial Day holiday. Some do it better than others.

My personal favorites from the "modern era" were Eisenhower and Kennedy. Here's a picture that I like:

JFK - Memorial Day 1963 at Arlington National Cemetery - 55 years ago.

This picture puts me in a somber mood. Seeing JFK standing in the same cemetery that he will be buried in himself only 6 months later...and knowing that he has *no* idea that it's going to happen. Makes me want someone to run up to him in this picture and warn him.

Camelot.....[sigh]

I believe our current president truly cares about the military and the solemnity of the Memorial Day holiday. But with that said, he has the same problem that two of his predecessors - Clinton and Obama - had. They have never served in the military themselves.

Because of that, there are many that will always view him somewhat skeptically, especially on days like Memorial Day, regarding whether or not he really "gets it". I know he's a huge proponent of the military in general, but am not sure what his record in both word and deed has been with respect to honoring the veterans that were killed in action. I don't mean saying all the right things, I'm talking more about things like setting aside money in the budget for things honoring fallen veterans, their families and their memories. Or showing up at a battlefield on a day other than Memorial Day - places like Gettysburg or the beaches of Normandy, simply to quietly lay a wreath or say a prayer.

Does anyone have any info on that?

edit on 5/26/2018 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
You cannot possibly be serious. Who goes to Gettysburg or the beaches of Normandy? I respect the veterans, but I do not worship them. Do you really think that people are obligated to lay wreaths and say prayers? You want people to go to the Vietnam Memorial and bow down? And all this, while active duty members claim to protect the rights and freedoms that are being taken from us on a daily basis, while they go and kill brown people. Because North Korea is messing up my block. We didn't even win WW2. Russia did. We just nuked some Japanese civilians. The U.S. has not been involved in a legit war ever. Name it. You want people to respect the War of Northern Aggression and the people that invaded sovereign states for the sake of empire? GAH! When will we stop glorifying war?

Edit to admit that I am oversimplifying things. But the point remains.
edit on 26-5-2018 by MisterMcKill because: Hyperbole

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Not sure of the tradition in the US, but here in the UK we have Remembrance Sunday in November which is attended by a great many people, including representatives from across the Commonwealth. I think it is right to remember people who died in the service of their country, whether you believe the cause just, or not.

If you allow the past to be forgotten, then the present has no context.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterMcKill

If I happened to be a American History Teacher , I would give you an F- for that Historically Inaccurate Rant . By the Way , there is a Good chance you might have Never been Born in a Free Country if it wasn't for the Sacrifices of All Military Veterans since 1776 . I suggest you further your Education by Learning a bit more about REAL American History , and not the Rubbish that is Filling your Head Right Now . Oh , and your Welcome .....

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

But with that said, he has the same problem that two of his predecessors - Clinton and Obama - had. They have never served in the military themselves.

Check back and tell me how many Presidents served in the military BEFORE they were elected
After they are elected , all Presidents serve in the military

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterMcKill

You cannot possibly be serious. Who goes to Gettysburg or the beaches of Normandy?

Most , if not all Presidents since those 2 happened
Even seems to be an observed occurrence for Presidents to go to France on D-Day.
Where do you live ?
Have television ?
Any form of information besides ancient history books ?
Inquiring minds need to know.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterMcKill
You cannot possibly be serious. Who goes to Gettysburg or the beaches of Normandy? I respect the veterans, but I do not worship them. Do you really think that people are obligated to lay wreaths and say prayers? You want people to go to the Vietnam Memorial and bow down? And all this, while active duty members claim to protect the rights and freedoms that are being taken from us on a daily basis, while they go and kill brown people. Because North Korea is messing up my block. We didn't even win WW2. Russia did. We just nuked some Japanese civilians. The U.S. has not been involved in a legit war ever. Name it. You want people to respect the War of Northern Aggression and the people that invaded sovereign states for the sake of empire? GAH! When will we stop glorifying war?

Edit to admit that I am oversimplifying things. But the point remains.

I'm not sure why you're so angry, but many people - presidents included - have gone to the sites of past battles to honor the fallen and perhaps pray for the safety of those currently serving. That seems strange to you?

Some may do it because they want to and they feel a debt of gratitude for those that fought and died for freedoms currently enjoyed by the nation they now lead. Some may do it for selfish reasons to make themselves look better or to say they've been able to check off that particular box. Motivation is hard to know without context.

posted on May, 27 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: Riffrafter

But with that said, he has the same problem that two of his predecessors - Clinton and Obama - had. They have never served in the military themselves.

Check back and tell me how many Presidents served in the military BEFORE they were elected
After they are elected , all Presidents serve in the military

Good point.

Nitpicky...but good.

top topics

join