It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crashed Tesla burst into flames -- twice

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: amazing

Good God at least look at the numbers.
Ford sold 2.5 million vehicles in 2016 alone and that doesn't include multiple millions of Ford's sold before 2016.
Tesla produced 83k cars in 2016.

So I would think there were more ford crashes than tesla.

I'm just saying...they only mention it for Teslas. Not Lamborghnis or Ferraris or Rolls royces or any care you can think of...only the Tesla.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

That's because of teslas battery problems that have been well documented.
It's not a witch hunt, it's a pattern.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Tesla is in some trouble.... I have a feeling the government will go soft on them if they can. Tesla is right up there with Google and Facebook as being very useful and cooperative companies for the government

How is Tesla in some trouble? They make cars. Cars kill people and most of the time it is unintentional. It seems to me that talking heads are trying to smear Elon Musk for some unknown reason. My first vehicle was a Ford Taurus sho and I loved that beast. Then one night it caught fire and burned to the ground in glory. Did Ford get flack for that???? This whole anti Tesla thing is getting stupid.
And also NO Tesla is not right up there with Google or Facebook. Maybe VW is.
edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

That's because of teslas battery problems that have been well documented.
It's not a witch hunt, it's a pattern.

The pattern was established at other companies as well. Remember a company called Karma Automotive? They were an early competitor of Tesla's. Karma's cars were notorious firetraps. Several burned just sitting in lots waiting for shipment.

Lithium ion batteries are notoriously flammable. It's a known fact. It is illegal to ship them by air for this exact reason.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
Cars kill people...

Cars don't kill people, apes with guns kill people.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Li ion batteries are a hazard in and of themselves! No Tesla roadster needed. And throwing water on them... ugh, geez people, learn some basic science! You do not "throw water" on lithium! That will only make it worse! You use a CO2 extinguisher. Or one of the ABC chemical extinguishers. Thermal runaway after a physical stress is a real issue in any li-ion battery. I cringe seeing people put their phone in their back pocket (especially if they are wearing those skinny jeans).

Specifically, the Tesla EV takes larger li-ion batteries, then bundles them together. These packs run the length of the car in the floorboards. They are sealed into the frame so you can't just pull them apart. That must have been one heck of crash to re-ignite the packs 6 days later!

I bet there will be specific instructions on how to deal with EV crashes in the future.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

After seeing the documentary from the future called planet of the apes or something similar you are correct.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
I cringe seeing people put their phone in their back pocket (especially if they are wearing those skinny jeans).

I put mine in a fanny pack which I wear over my skinny jeans.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

They go off like roman candles when they go. As long as you feel like you can unclip then hurl a flaming fanny pack (great band name, btw!) away from you then good choice! I keep mine in my front jacket pocket. But pretty sure fleece is only a little less flammable than steel wool, so not sure if that is gonna help.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Item: Three Teslas burst into fire when they crashed.

Item: Thousand of cars per year burst into fire when crashing due to gasoline igniting.

Conclusion: Teslas catch on fire.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

They go off like roman candles when they go. As long as you feel like you can unclip then hurl a flaming fanny pack (great band name, btw!) away from you then good choice!

Why would I toss my fanny pack!?!?!? I like that thing. I'll just rip off my skinny jeans instead.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Nothing like a roman candle next to your, uh, erm,... Roman candle?!

You would only have to toss the fanny pack if the battery decides to explode into flames. You would feel it getting real hot, real fast. Then it hisses before shooting out flames. You'd probably have enough time to toss the phone and keep the fanny pack! Skinny jeans optional at that point!

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well documented? One or two fires is not a well documented problem. It is one or two fires.

Media is just looking for any little thing to complain about Tesla right now.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Well documented? One or two fires is not a well documented problem. It is one or two fires.

Media is just looking for any little thing to complain about Tesla right now.

Tesla has well documented battery problems.
Not only fire problems.
Quality,
Manufacturing,
Life,
Very well doctumeted

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Who cares-the Tesla is just a rich man's Prius.

I wish I had the money to send a Mercedes SLS into space for no reason.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

They go off like roman candles when they go. As long as you feel like you can unclip then hurl a flaming fanny pack (great band name, btw!) away from you then good choice!

Why would I toss my fanny pack!?!?!? I like that thing. I'll just rip off my skinny jeans instead.

You're such a tease...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I cringe seeing people put their phone in their back pocket (especially if they are wearing those skinny jeans).

I put mine in a fanny pack which I wear over my skinny jeans.

Wait a minute you're supposed to wear them over your skinny jeans? No wonder people look at me funny.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: Edumakated

124 people died in their cars from a faulty ignition switch thanks to chevy.

Also true,
But how many chevys were on the road at the time compared to how many teslas?
At least a 10k to 1 ratio at a guess.

That wasn't from accidents. Those were proven to cause accidents. Not driver error.

If we are talking faulty car designs then tall suv's take the cake..or cars with bad geometry.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The driver had received several visual and one audible hands-on warning earlier in the drive and the driver’s hands were not detected on the wheel for six seconds prior to the collision. The driver had about five seconds and 150 meters of unobstructed view of the concrete divider with the crushed crash attenuator, but the vehicle logs show that no action was taken. Nowhere in the post did Tesla acknowledge why its Autopilot feature had directed the car to crash into a concrete barrier, except that "the adaptive cruise control follow-distance" was "set to minimum."

digg.com...

Sounds like the auto pilot system was short in programming.

They programmed it assuming that some certain people would not keep attempting to be totally hands off with the system.

Speak american elon! auto pilot means no pilot...

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Sounds like the driver was short in common sense and intelligence. The system gives warnings for a reason. If the driver chose to ignore the warnings, then it is on the driver.

The only thing I fault Tesla for is naming it Auto Pilot as it does imply the car can totally drive itself which is not really the case. Unfortunately, no matter how many warnings, bulletins, etc that companies do to explain how to use certain products, nature always builds a better idiot.

My car has adaptive cruise control. However, it doesn't mean I don't have to keep my eyes on the road at all times and be ready to take over at any moment.

Here is a video of an idiot in the PASSENGER seat letting the car drive itself. If this guy got killed, the headline would read Tesla kills driver... instead of Idiot driver kills himself.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join